Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Hurling helmet for cycling? Good? Bad?

• 30-08-2020 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭thisNthat

My young lad came off his bike today and bust his mouth, nose and forehead, he had a helmet on and the the front visor part smashed off, he’ll be fine but has a nice fat lip and plenty of cuts and bruises. I’m just wondering if he had a GAA hurling helmet on with the face guard would it have saved him from the facial damage he got from this fall?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭KaneToad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭cletus

thisNthat wrote: »
    My young lad came off his bike today and bust his mouth, nose and forehead, he had a helmet on and the the front visor part smashed off, he’ll be fine but has a nice fat lip and plenty of cuts and bruises. I’m just wondering if he had a GAA hurling helmet on with the face guard would it have saved him from the facial damage he got from this fall?

Now old is he? What's the chances of convincing him to wear a hurling helmet while out cycling with his mates?

If it was me, I'd be inclined to say it's just one of those things, let him heal up, and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭thisNthat

cletus wrote: »
    Now old is he? What's the chances of convincing him to wear a hurling helmet while out cycling with his mates?

If it was me, I'd be inclined to say it's just one of those things, let him heal up, and move on

He's 5, I'd tend to agree with you but I was just curious if the hurling helmet with face guard would have actually saved his face in this instance.
    He and his mates are mad into hurling so I couldn't see an issue there but what does the auld fella know right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭thisNthat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Would that save the face?

Yep.

• Advertisement

He's 5, I'd tend to agree with you but I was just curious if the hurling helmet with face guard would have actually saved his face in this instance.
    He and his mates are mad into hurling so I couldn't see an issue there but what does the auld fella know right :)

It possibly might have.

My eldest fella is 12. When he was about the same age as your young lad, he came off a little pedal car, bust his lip, and damaged a front tooth (luckily it was a baby tooth). My wife wanted to bin the car immediately. I figured it was just one of those things, and he should just heal up and get on.

Small caveat here, I've broken both arms, my right leg, my nose, and numerous digits, so injury is sort of a fact of life for me :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as a mad kilkenny man once said to me, if you're worried about being injured, hurling is not the sport for you.

as a mad kilkenny man once said to me, if you're worried about being injured, hurling is not the sport for you.

I recall a Jason Statham film where he is choking someone to death with a hurly.

Out of curtesy he explains what the instrument is he is using and explains that it is used in the Irish sport of Hurling, which is a cross between hockey and murder.

Sorry, off topic. Carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Reminds me of Jack Charlton's comment during an all Ireland hurling final which the GAA had invited him to.

At some point during the game, the president of the GAA turned to Jack and asked "Well Jack, would you like to be out there with a hurl in your hand?" to which Jack replied "Well I certainly wouldn't like to be out there without one".

Would be much better off with the aforementioned BMX helmet. Hurling helmets are grand for hurling but for a more serious/impactful collision the face guard could actually do a fair bit of damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Reminds me of Jack Charlton's comment during an all Ireland hurling final which the GAA had invited him to.

At some point during the game, the president of the GAA turned to Jack and asked "Well Jack, would you like to be out there with a hurl in your hand?" to which Jack replied "Well I certainly wouldn't like to be out there without one".

Y'know, I love this quote but I first heard this story told as Churchill, then as Mick McCarthy and most recently as Joe Schmidt, with a handful of other figures standing in as the fascinated onlooker. So I googled it.

It was actually Gareth Edwards, Welsh rugby legend. What a great response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Bad in my opinion.. the vision is less in a hurling helmet than a bike helmet. I once ran into the goal post and knocked myself out watching a dropping ball and running towards goal lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

was he wearing the helmet correctly ? I would hazard a guess that well over 80% of people, kids and adults, I see are wearing helmets incorrectly. There's an advert for a car insurance company (can't remember which one) the young adult girl is going off on her bike cos the aunt is home from the UK and taking over the car, the girl's helmet is woeful in terms of giving her any protection if she fell. A helmet plonked on the back of the head with loose straps is no good to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

was he wearing the helmet correctly ? I would hazard a guess that well over 80% of people, kids and adults, I see are wearing helmets incorrectly. There's an advert for a car insurance company (can't remember which one) the young adult girl is going off on her bike cos the aunt is home from the UK and taking over the car, the girl's helmet is woeful in terms of giving her any protection if she fell. A helmet plonked on the back of the head with loose straps is no good to anyone.

I came onto this thread to say exactly that. Too many children / beginners dont have the straps tight enough, meaning the helmet slides back.

The helmet should be flush with the forehead and should take some (not all) of the impact in case of a face-plant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Lewotsil

All too common in Dublin city centre .... especially among one gender.

OP - pros and cons to hurling helmet vs std helmet but bmx best to mitigate risk you refer to. That said my kid wears a hurling helmet cycling to his GAA matches/training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Would a hurling helmet react the same way a cycling one should when hitting the ground at 20/30kmph? I'd have my doubts as thats not what they are made for.

Would a hurling helmet react the same way a cycling one should when hitting the ground at 20/30kmph? I'd have my doubts as thats not what they are made for.

His young fella is 5, unlikely to be hitting those epeeds

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Aegir wrote: »
    I recall a Jason Statham film where he is choking someone to death with a hurly.

Out of curtesy he explains what the instrument is he is using and explains that it is used in the Irish sport of Hurling, which is a cross between hockey and murder.

Sorry, off topic. Carry on.
    From the film Blitz...

Advertisement