Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting accommodation in Dublin

Options
  • 30-08-2020 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi
    I am really stuck for accommodation in dublin at the moment.
    I am being pushed out of my home and money is very tight.

I am going to try and get accommodation somewhere in dublin.
    I will be in a demanding 3rd level education next year so full time work for money to pay rent will not be an option.

I know this is unlikely and desperate but could anyone recommend any ways to try and get below price accommodation? this is the question everyone wants to know but maybe someone might have some advice on this?

Even if I could just get somewhere to sleep at night for 5/4 days of the week that would do even in a shed or something. I'm out of ideas and looking at accommodation online on daft seems like a bad way going about getting accommodation . If any one had any suggestions about how to go about getting cheaper accommodation I would really appreciate it.
    thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

Can you move somewhere outside of Dublin? Is your course not mostly online - thats what everyone seems to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oreo47

unfortunately not with my course.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

Living in a car/van might be workable a few nights if you have family nearby. Not joking, I considered doing this when I thought funding for my course would fall through. The alternative is to get a job somewhere cheap to live in (like Letterkenny), get paid a decent wage (not impossible up there believe it or not), save the rest and defer your course another year.

living in a caravan is not a bad idea.
    But you cant just park anywhere.
    I'll maybe look into renting a parking space from someone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

get a house share should cost 500-700 month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Prices are down in D5, even close to the DART line. Lots of people hanging on to silly rent a room prices but a few bargains to be had.

My budget is only 400 unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Do you have money for transport?

Do you have money for transport?
    yes within reason

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

oreo47 wrote: »

Are you returning home on the weekends?

A lot of people's ideal Tenant in-house is to have someone who's only there Monday to Friday afternoon.

If you were to look up rentals and then offer €400 only for say Mon - Thurs nights;), I guarantee someone would say yes.

To be honest, when I get my house keys, I'd be hoping for a setup like that if it came along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Pivot Eoin wrote: »
    Are you returning home on the weekends?

A lot of people's ideal Tenant in-house is to have someone who's only there Monday to Friday afternoon.

If you were to look up rentals and then offer €400 only for say Mon - Thurs nights;), I guarantee someone would say yes.

To be honest, when I get my house keys, I'd be hoping for a setup like that if it came along.

Another option with this, even if you cant/dont plan on returning home every week is to begin an arrangement like this, then just prove yourself to be THE NICEST TENANT EVER! If you were staying in a spare room in a Young Family Home, they will be very accomodating if you're very nice, super quiet, you come in at normal hours all the time, you're really nice to their kids, you even do them the odd favour... Pretty soon, they won't give a **** if you go home at weekends or not because they like you that much.

I know it's a bit outside the box, but very plausible. The Only question is really, being honest with yourself... how likeable are you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

https://www.daft.ie/...

115 rooms in Dublin under €400.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

soirish wrote: »
    https://www.daft.ie/...

115 rooms in Dublin under €400.

If it’s €400 max per month on accommodation, in reality when you include utilities etc, it’s closer to €350 on rent. Most of the properties then become fairly grim looking shared rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Dav010 wrote: »
    If it’s €400 max per month on accommodation, in reality when you include utilities etc, it’s closer to €350 on rent. Most of the properties then become fairly grim looking shared rooms.

The OP is 19, a shared room is a reasonable inconvenience at their age.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The OP is 19, a shared room is a reasonable inconvenience at their age.

Sorry, I didn’t see age mentioned. For some reason I assumed it was a mature student.

Edit. Previous posts suggest 21/22.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

oreo47 wrote: »

Not a hope in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Pivot Eoin wrote: »
    Another option with this, even if you cant/dont plan on returning home every week is to begin an arrangement like this, then just prove yourself to be THE NICEST TENANT EVER! If you were staying in a spare room in a Young Family Home, they will be very accomodating if you're very nice, super quiet, you come in at normal hours all the time, you're really nice to their kids, you even do them the odd favour... Pretty soon, they won't give a **** if you go home at weekends or not because they like you that much.

I know it's a bit outside the box, but very plausible. The Only question is really, being honest with yourself... how likeable are you? :D

Not at all plausible. Anyone that rents out a room on a weekday only basis will value their weekends and be hyper aware of the time the licensee is not supposed to be there.

Advertisement