Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do we care about American politics?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

God Bless America!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

not going with the grain? Boards.ie is known for being a pro-conservative website.

since when ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

There is a growing cohort of idiots who live their lives on the internet and a growing subset of these think spoofing about American politics makes them sound clever. It really doesn’t.
    When you hear someone, journalist or otherwise, talking about Texas turning blue or Minnesota being in play it’s very likely you have a pretentious spoofer in your midst.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Watch it. Obviously you haven't as you comment after 4 minutes of me posting it.

It's a group founded by her and 2 other women..... They've got more black men killed due to their madness.
    I watched enough of it to get the general idea. My point is that she isnt BLM just member/co-founder. Finding dirt on her doesnt discredit the whole BLM movement. Can we stick to the topic at hand this thread isnt about the efficacy of BLM.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,059 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The reason is because America is or at least was before Trump came it was the most powerful and influential nation on the Earth. That is why it is important to know what is going on in America. Most of the biggest, most valuable and influential companies in the world have come from America. If it was not for America we would still be like we were in the 80s on a recession with no jobs and no hope here. So yes it is important for all of us in our little country to know and watch what is going on in America because it could effect us if a big company like Intel or FB pulled out on the morning. Not only that but what America does well used to do effects the whole World. So the sooner Trump is gone and they get someone worthy of being President of the US again the better. Go Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Zookey123 wrote: »
    I watched enough of it to get the general idea. My point is that she isnt BLM just member/co-founder. Finding dirt on her doesnt discredit the whole BLM movement. Can we stick to the topic at hand this thread isnt about the efficacy of BLM.

But we are sticking to the thread.... Is this really what they should be fighting for, looting, murder, rape etc etc...

Why it's gathered so much traction abroad is bizarre too as we won't change it

• Registered Users Posts: 82,935 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Because every country and its mother former empire wants to influence the American election.

I just dont want to see Ireland become as polarised as America when it comes to social issues. Here you will rarely ever see any far right or far left groups everyone is someone near the center which i think is healthy since it leaves plenty of room for a discussion however as we can see in this very thread a lot of Irish are being influenced by the toxic American political system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I just dont want to see Ireland become as polarised as America when it comes to social issues. Here you will rarely ever see any far right or far left groups everyone is someone near the center which i think is healthy since it leaves plenty of room for a discussion however as we can see in this very thread a lot of Irish are being influenced by the toxic American political system.

It’s all left wing parties and no right wing in Ireland. Not healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Watch this and see how BLM sees the world and whites.kd3pfsHK7r8/youtube]

This is a good example of why. People who live their lives in reactionary internet bubbles tend to get off on the US culture war.

• Advertisement

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    It’s all left wing parties and no right wing in Ireland. Not healthy
    You want an irish version of the BNP or the EDL? There are some right wing parties such as the HDA and the national party. You also have nut cases like Gemma o'doherty running around. But they haven't been able to generate much traction due to majority of the Irish population being either center left or center right i.e. in a healthy state of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

You want an irish version of the BNP or the EDL? There are some right wing parties such as the HDA and the national party. You also have nut cases like Gemma o'doherty running around. But they haven't been able to generate much traction due to majority of the Irish population being either center left or center right i.e. in a healthy state of mind.

No where did I say wanted far right ? I said right which we have none

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    No where did I say wanted far right ? I said right which we have none
    I just named two. You can complain about them not having any power/support but thats what you get when you live in a democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Antifa.com brings you straight to...... Have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I just named two. You can complain about them not having any power/support but thats what you get when you live in a democracy.

No they are far right

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Maybe it's down to the language. It's easier to report US news? I'm in Spain and you don't see as much coverage of US news, but I'm not online much to comment on whether they have imported the same US style politics here as you'd see elsewhere.
    The whole BLM was bizarre. It was a very American thing recently, and I didn't see many marches for African black lives in the last year or so, a cause which is literally closer to home for Europeans. (I agree with the sentiment of BLM and to contradict myself, it's not just an American thing).
    I'd much rather we focused on the ins and outs of European politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Some Irish actually think they're American.

RTE has about 5 or 6 stories a day on their website. Bad weather in America makes the news here.

We're sad.

People are bored. For many people, choice to do other things is limited so they're kinda stuck with what to do online.

Most other interesting threads have been done to death, and... that leaves the US, which is always good at providing extreme debates. Helps that the topics involved encourage highly emotional outbursts, which are always fun to tweak. So.. yup.. American politics and social change is appealing right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I don't think we should be too complacent here in Ireland. What happened in the US and UK could certainly happen here. In fact there are signs that we're just a little behind the curve and may end up in a similar space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's a proxy for the (anti immigration) nationalist, socially conservative right wing in Ireland, most of which seems to be on boards these days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

US Politics is an easy target for virtue signalling 1st years students in Ireland.

They cant comprehend how China and most African and Middle Easterns regimes have atrocious records on human rights, but this doesnt suit their Political Science "professors" agenda.

Quite simply, they only care about non-white people in the US, they dont care what happens to them anywhere else on the planet.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    US Politics is an easy target for virtue signalling 1st years students in Ireland.

They cant comprehend how China and most African and Middle Easterns regimes have atrocious records on human rights, but this doesnt suit their Political Science "professors" agenda.

Quite simply, they only care about non-white people in the US, they dont care what happens to them anywhere else on the planet.
    Coming from someone who just finished uni after spending five years on campus this is utter rubbish. Do you have any actual evidence of this virtue signaling happening on a grand scale on Irish university campuses or is this something your pulling out of your back side from watching youtube clips of American students on American college campus. I do agree though that we should care more about the literally millions of people being murdered in the middle east due to the Saudi gang of princes, but thats for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Coming from someone who just finished uni after spending five years on campus this is utter rubbish. Do you have any actual evidence of this virtue signaling happening on a grand scale on Irish university campuses or is this something your pulling out of your back side from watching youtube clips of American students on American college campus. I do agree though that we should care more about the literally millions of people being murdered in the middle east due to the Saudi gang of princes, but thats for another thread.

No need to be so uncivil my friend.

How many protests at the Chinese Embassy have you been to during your 5 years in Uni?

Loads, I suppose.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    No need to be so uncivil my friend.

How many protests at the Chinese Embassy have you been to during your 5 years in Uni?

Loads, I suppose.
    Im sorry if I seemed uncivil i was just asking where you were getting this information from (could have worded it better). I didnt participate in protests I was doing a pretty intensive course so didnt have much time but I know for a fact that there were conferences on middle eastern relations which caused protests from both sides of the debate (Israel/Palestine).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

This might seem like an odd question but im starting to see more and more interest in American politics here. Whether its the BLM, anti immigrant propaganda or pro/anti trump, people are constantly talking about American politics it didn't used to be like this. America is clearly in a hot mess right now probably best for us to stay clear. Why should we care about their political system when they clearly couldnt care less about ours?

Because we generally get a dose of whatever gob****ery is prevalent in America and Europe a year or two later

The chattering classes in Ireland are great lads for trying to catch up with their betters even after their betters realise what a stupid mistake they made.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Do we care that much?

In CA people do. Some people just love to have a cause to foght for, or something to rail against, others love to think the world is falling apart, and CA is one of the places they indulge themselves in that stuff.

But CA is just one part of boards, and boards is just one tiny corner of the internet, and a lot of the stuff that people get worked up over on boards isn't stuff that I encounter much, if at all, offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

It's a proxy for the (anti immigration) nationalist, socially conservative right wing in Ireland, most of which seems to be on boards these days!
    It does seem quite often that it's used by people to vicariously live out the battles they seem to so desperately want to take place here. Look at the absolute bile and vitriol, the seething uncontrolled rage and hatred in threads like "BLM or WLM" for anyone sufficiently left wing and the absolute glee with which each negative story about 'antifa' is posted. Followed by breathless excuses when anyone on their 'side' is shown to be a violent thug.

People don't care so much about it being the US (you'll see them ranting about European countries just the same), so much as it's a chance to rip into anyone that dares criticise their 'side'. It's, kind of ironically in a way, another chance to stereotype an outgroup and then rail against it. Like a concentrated microcosm of far right propaganda.

I just remain thankful that there isn't the appetite for it here amongst the general public. Though with hotels being burned and at least one politician receiving death threats and their car being firebombed, as well as the latest lynch mob against Roderic O'Gorman, I sometimes worry if it's not so much the size of them as it is their increasing propensity for violence. It doesn't matter if they don't grow, eventually they'll grow sick of that and just kill someone.

So yes, less caring about the US specifically and more it serving as a sort of release valve for the pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,138 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

For a lot of folk in the Current Affairs part of Boards, the only way they can consume far right media is from US sources and they obviously have a focus on US events (UK far right wouldn't be accepting).

The likes of Tucker Carlson, Ben Shapiro, Andy Ngo, and a never ending list of right to far right figures are posted as acceptable sources of reporting so it is clear where these posters are consuming their media and want to discuss/complain.

I'd suspect if there was a more acceptable right wing grievance source for Irish matters then some of the focus of a certain element of posters would shift. Instead, people post here like a protest in a 2 block radius in Portland was happening in the next village because that is the type of fear their media is instilling in them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Foxtrol wrote: »
    For a lot of folk in the Current Affairs part of Boards, the only way they can consume far right media is from US sources and they obviously have a focus on US events (UK far right wouldn't be accepting).

The likes of Tucker Carlson, Ben Shapiro, Andy Ngo, and a never ending list of right to far right figures are posted as acceptable sources of reporting so it is clear where these posters are consuming their media and want to discuss/complain.

I'd suspect if there was a more acceptable right wing grievance source for Irish matters then some of the focus of a certain element of posters would shift. Instead, people post here like a protest in a 2 block radius in Portland was happening in the next village because that is the type of fear their media is instilling in them.

most of what's happening in the States is Far Left terrorism. Get a gript

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »

Never understood why people support Ben Shapiro every sentence he utters is a contradiction to the previous. Its just big words, fast talking and "owning" college undergrads, and people think he is god.

Advertisement