Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do we care about American politics?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    No they don't, stop lying.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/14/business/media/fox-news-fair-and-balanced.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_News#Slogan

They weren't lying. Fox News dropped the tagline only a few years ago. Unless you're the type of person that religiously follows US news, you'd easily be forgiven for believing they still used such a well-known slogan.
    It's the opposite of that. He hates the alt-right and he got banned from Patreon for debating the alt right.

Why do you guys keep making things up?
    Considering you accused someone of lying about Fox News' famous tagline, you're one to talk. He wasn't banned "for debating the alt-right" though. At least not from what I've read. Seems his only issue with them is that they're "acting like a bunch of n******" in his own words. Hardly the attitude of someone who takes issue with their beliefs or politics and more of taking issue with how they're presented.

But why do you care about CNN and MSNBC? How many Irish people do you know that even watch them? The fact that you're devoting this much time to ranting about them just demonstrates that you spend a lot of time listening to angry right wing Americans complaining about them.

Jesus, the only time I ever hear about CNN is either from right wing Americans on other forums or people on Boards whinging about them. Maybe they wish they could say the same of RTE but have to settle for another nation's news outlet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/14/business/media/fox-news-fair-and-balanced.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_News#Slogan

They weren't lying. Fox News dropped the tagline only a few years ago. Unless you're the type of person that religiously follows US news, you'd easily be forgiven for believing they still used such a well-known slogan.

Considering you accused someone of lying about Fox News' famous tagline, you're one to talk. He wasn't banned "for debating the alt-right" though. At least not from what I've read. Seems his only issue with them is that they're "acting like a bunch of n******" in his own words. Hardly the attitude of someone who takes issue with their beliefs or politics and more of taking issue with how they're presented.

But why do you care about CNN and MSNBC? How many Irish people do you know that even watch them? The fact that you're devoting this much time to ranting about them just demonstrates that you spend a lot of time listening to angry right wing Americans complaining about them.

Jesus, the only time I ever hear about CNN is either from right wing Americans on other forums or people on Boards whinging about them. Maybe they wish they could say the same of RTE but have to settle for another nation's news outlet.

This is very weird.

All you're doing is proving I'm right and then trying to say that means I'm somehow wrong. :confused:

Why do so many people here do this? Why can't you talk honestly without trying to "win" even when you're wrong?

And finally, after you talking about this topic in detail, when I give my opinion you're like why do I even care, why am I talking about this, as if only you're allowed have an opinion.

It's OK to admit CNN are the mouthpiece of the Democratic Party, it's OK to admit left wing media race bait, it's OK to admit Fox are the mouthpiece of the Republican Party, stop being so controlling and start being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

This is very weird.

All you're doing is proving I'm right and then trying to say that means I'm somehow wrong. :confused:

Why do so many people here do this? Why can't you talk honestly without trying to "win" even when you're wrong?

And finally, after you talking about this topic in detail, when I give my opinion you're like why do I even care, why am I talking about this, as if only you're allowed have an opinion.

It's OK to admit CNN are the mouthpiece of the Democratic Party, it's OK to admit left wing media race bait, it's OK to admit Fox are the mouthpiece of the Republican Party, stop being so controlling and start being honest.

Fox News advertised using 'Fair and Balanced' for 21 years. So you admit then for 21 years they were 'hiding their bias'. They still don't note prior to a show which are news and which are opinion, though they'll openly tell advertisers.

As for examples of Fox supporting vigilantes, here is king grifter Tucker excusing the actions of the Lil Rambo vigilante from Kenosha

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1298783674993913856?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

This is very weird.

What exactly have I proven you right on? I've directly contradicted what you said and posted links to back that up. All you've done here is assert "I'm right" like a child, you haven't established that anything you've said is right.

Here's the article I was referencing about Carl, by the way: https://www.businessinsider.com/patreon-crowdfunding-platform-defends-itself-amid-boycott-2018-12?r=US&IR=T
    I just can’t be bothered with people who chose to treat me like this. It’s really annoying. Like, I — . You’re acting like a bunch of n******, just so you know. You act like white n******. Exactly how you describe black people acting is the impression I get dealing with the Alt Right... Look, you carry on, but don’t expect me to then have a debate with one of your f******.…Like why would I bother?…Maybe you’re just acting like a n****r, mate? Have you considered that? Do you think white people act like this? White people are meant to be polite and respectful to one another, and you guys can’t even act like white people, it’s really amazing to me.”

Is the transcript in question. Again, not exactly the words with someone who takes issue with the alt-right for anything more than their methods, rather than their beliefs.

Should I even bother to ask for evidence of "left wing media" race baiting? Like I know this is some seriously tepid bait but if it's the best you can do then I'm not going to waste any more time on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Fox don't hide their bias, but CNN and MSNBC pretend they're unbiased.

Fox is really the only conservative channel. All the rest are left wing.

Perhaps in cultural terms, but they are all owned by billion-dollar corporations and are right-wing where it counts - economically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

All media in America is tabloid rubbish from an Irish perspective.

I can't fathom how anyone would defend CNN or the likes.

Exaggerated graphics and sensational headlines, no actual journalism.

The media entirely focuses on Trump with no other stories being mentioned.

One large soap opera.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

goose2005 wrote: »
    Mostly media-driven. The Irish media frequently act as if the UK, US and Ireland were the only countries in the world

This is a problem now for Irish people who prided themselves as being different from the UK or America. That we are aware of the world around us. They mock Americans and Britons for being closed minded.

It's all bull now. Irish people, at least those on social media and so on, only care about what happens in America and to a lesser extent, Britain. So it's the same closed minded stuff.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Fox News advertised using 'Fair and Balanced' for 21 years. So you admit then for 21 years they were 'hiding their bias'. They still don't note prior to a show which are news and which are opinion, though they'll openly tell advertisers.

As for examples of Fox supporting vigilantes, here is king grifter Tucker excusing the actions of the Lil Rambo vigilante from Kenosha

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1298783674993913856?s=20

Can you please stop lying.

1. You said Fox claim to use the slogan 'Fair and Balanced'. They don't. Now you're trying to claim you were talking about an old version of Fox. How is that relevant to today? Why can't you admit you made a mistake? Why are you pretending you are still correct even though you are wrong on this one?

2. The guy in Konosha was being attacked by a group of rioters. You literally provided video evidence of this in your post. He is legally allowed defend himself in that situation. Yet are you trying to twist this into something else. Note there is video evidence one of the people attacking him was holding a gun.

What is going on?

What exactly have I proven you right on? I've directly contradicted what you said and posted links to back that up. All you've done here is assert "I'm right" like a child, you haven't established that anything you've said is right.

Here's the article I was referencing about Carl, by the way: https://www.businessinsider.com/patreon-crowdfunding-platform-defends-itself-amid-boycott-2018-12?r=US&IR=T

Is the transcript in question. Again, not exactly the words with someone who takes issue with the alt-right for anything more than their methods, rather than their beliefs.

Should I even bother to ask for evidence of "left wing media" race baiting? Like I know this is some seriously tepid bait but if it's the best you can do then I'm not going to waste any more time on you.

Let's be clear, Sargon of Akkad who has a history of making videos saying the alt-right are terrible, and got banned from platforms for a debate he had with them, you are still trying to pretend he is alt right and supports them.

Why are you lying?

The fact you find it unbelievable CNN and MSNBC race bait... you are an ideologue or are posting in bad faith.

It's worrying how so many people like you are being manipulated by the media.

For the record I'm on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭acorntoast

"OMM 000" they are not having a conversation with you. They are defending their beliefs. You are wasting your time as they won't change their mind here.

• Advertisement

Ahh well, whenever I hear anyone make such a declaration that they are on the left or right.... then I'm sure they're being manipulated.

The vast majority of people are from the center, who lean to the left or right on certain issues. It's the nutjob extremists who are fully left/right.

For the record, we're all being manipulated. That started with the rise of marketing and modern psychology.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

For the record, we're all being manipulated..

By who? To what ends?

By who? To what ends?

Businesses manipulate consumers to buy products, or to extend services. Political parties manipulate voter bases. Manipulation of the target groups is everywhere. Which is why we've seen the rise of analyst companies whose purpose is to collect information on groups, analyse that information, and to use media to influence those groups towards certain beliefs.

To what ends? Whatever outcome that they want to achieve. For myself, I feel that groups with power/wealth, want people to be divided. Identity politics, gender divisions, racial divisions, etc are all the norm now in the US, and it's spreading throughout most Western societies.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Let's be clear, Sargon of Akkad who has a history of making videos saying the alt-right are terrible, and got banned from platforms for a debate he had with them, you are still trying to pretend he is alt right and supports them.

Why are you lying?

The fact you find it unbelievable CNN and MSNBC race bait... you are an ideologue or are posting in bad faith.

Oh really?:cool:

Advertisement