Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pruning Container Apple Tree for Transport

Options
  • 30-08-2020 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

A small apple tree in back garden needs relocation. To fit through the house it would have to get heavily pruned.
    How best should I do that so that it will survive, even bare of fruit for a year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

I don't know much about this but by chance I was listening to Padraig Horkan on Pat Kenny the other day and he said now is the time to prune apple trees, said if you do it in spring they put all their energy into new leaves rather than apples so I actually pruned mine few days ago based on his advice :) He said you could cut back long branches by two thirds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

If it is in a container, could you not wrap it like a Christmas tree to facilitate moving it through the house ? That is if you would rather not prune it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sunnib

thanx Phormium, for your reply! Did you prune your tree before or after harvesting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sunnib

Yeah, I think I'll have to secure what will be left of the branches. Maybe with tough sheets et cetera,then tie with string - Thanx for your hint

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

I would get netting and pull it tight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

sunnib wrote: »
    thanx Phormium, for your reply! Did you prune your tree before or after harvesting ?

I had already taken off all the apples before the storm recently, they could have done with a little while longer but didn't want to risk losing them all!

Advertisement