Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

monitor or tv (one x and series x)

• 30-08-2020 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads Im currently gaming on an lg 43 inch 4k tv

have the one x console

So I wanna buy a 27 or 32 inch monitor as im sitting at a desk right infront of that tv and its far too big.

what would you suggest heading towards the series x?

anyone have the same problem? what monitors are you planning to use for the x seeing as it supports 4k 120fps?

Comments

you might be better to wait and see. I'll believe 4k 120hz when I see it. I dont have a link at hand but I read that 30fps will still dominate on console with devs putting more power into graphics rather than frame rate.

Also specs for Series S are yet to be confirmed with rumours saying it'll be 1440p.

Personally I think 4k on a monitor when sitting at a desk is pointless. 1440p is the sweet spot on smaller screens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭itsa_me_mario

I have a 32 inch 1440p monitor with freesync (got it cheap in a deal on Amazon) that seems great with xbox one x.
    I have no idea if the freesync actually achieves anything. Maybe with certain games.
    I'm wondering if it's too big for desktop gaming.
    I would love to try some properly configured HDR 4k monitors of different sizes.

I have plugged the one x into the living room 55 inch HDR TV and it looks amazing.
    But I can't really play RDR2 etc while the kids are around. Or hog the TV.

Yeah, I'd wait or get a cheap 2k or 4k one to tide you over.
    Ones with better specs at cheaper prices will appear soon.
    e.g. better response rates, better high dynamic range, support for different kinds of variable refresh rates
    Also, who knows what the hell the new consoles will actually support.
    There are so many standards for VRR and HDR and and and and ...

There is an LG CX 48 inch TV at the moment that looks like it covers all bases.
    BUT it's a large TV and it's expensive.
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled
    What we need is a smaller gaming monitor equivalent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I use to have a 32" 1080p TV on a desk connected to the 360 years back and found it just too big for serious gaming. I currently use a 27" 1440p for work and xbox and it is a much better size

27 is the max you should be using at a desk if sat within arms reach of it like you would at a desk. On a 32 you'll find that you have to move your head and not your eyes to see parts of the screen which cause neck problems.

I use my monitor for work too and find 4k very nice to have in terms of what I can have on screen at the same time.

I remember reading years ago 24 was considered optimum for serious gaming in that you could see all of the screen and people coming in game. Not sure how true that is but makes some sense to me.

I've a 26" curved (stop laughing :-D) for my PC setup. The curved display gives you a wider screen without the head movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I've a 26" curved (stop laughing :-D) for my PC setup. The curved display gives you a wider screen without the head movement.

If you're moving your head looking at anything smaller than an 28 inch, you're sitting too close IMO.

Advertisement