Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anonymous service to report gatherings that break the law?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭eggy81

That is only your opinion, unqualified opinion too Im guessing.

My unqualified opinion is that without any mitigation measures that a lot more people would have died with/potentially from Covid.

However "unlawful" the restrictions may have been, which I presume is what you are suggesting. It would have been negligent of the State not to have acted.

Allowing the uncontrolled spread of a virus with no known vaccine, cure or reliable characteristics throughout the population is insanity.

The description of "cold related virus" down plays the apparent worrying after effects of the virus. There are indications that some people who survived Covid have adverse bowel, brain, heart and lung issues. No comparison to a "cold". We don't really know yet how survivors will really fair out over the next few years and how immuno-compromised they are or if life expectancy has been effected.

Id rather the State acted ib the way they did rather than this bull****.

How exactly have you come to the assessment that introducing restrictions will ultimately have caused more harm than good?

You don't think the willingness to obey such restrictions will be giving government ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

Get a grip, snitching on people living their lives, ONE thing we can all agree on is this Covid19 danger has been HUGLEY exaggerated , CDC is in USA has now downgraded the number of Covid19 deaths to actually only 6% of what has been reported.
    Covid19 is dangerous to only certain demographics, the very old on the way out and those with already underlying health conditions, keep them safe and let the rest of the country get back to normal.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/cdc-94percent-of-covid-19-deaths-had-underlying-medical-conditions/ar-BB18wrA7
    Sure i was in a packed pub Sunday for 5 hours, people where there before me and still there when i left, if you are worried about it stay home, order online your food deliveries and let the rest of us get on with living our lives.
    They shut the country down when we where getting 10 new infected a day, now they are opening the schools when we are getting 150 infected a day, when are you panic merchants going to accept its not the end of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

da_miser wrote: »
    Get a grip, snitching on people living their lives, ONE thing we can all agree on is this Covid19 danger has been HUGLEY exaggerated , CDC is in USA has now downgraded the number of Covid19 deaths to actually only 6% of what has been reported.
    Covid19 is dangerous to only certain demographics, the very old on the way out and those with already underlying health conditions, keep them safe and let the rest of the country get back to normal.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/cdc-94percent-of-covid-19-deaths-had-underlying-medical-conditions/ar-BB18wrA7
    Sure i was in a packed pub Sunday for 5 hours, people where there before me and still there when i left, if you are worried about it stay home, order online your food deliveries and let the rest of us get on with living our lives.
    They shut the country down when we where getting 10 new infected a day, now they are opening the schools when we are getting 150 infected a day, when are you panic merchants going to accept its not the end of the world?

We keep the vulnerable safe by the rest of us social distancing... it’s a very simple concept, surprised some are still struggling to comprehend it.

minikin wrote: »
    We keep the vulnerable safe by the rest of us social distancing... it’s a very simple concept, surprised some are still struggling to comprehend it.
    So you want the world to come to a stand still so people in the 90's who have already lived their life can hang in there another year or two, so the young and healthy give up the best years of their lives to extend the lives of the already close to death people in the population?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭edjkdkjdhjkd

Can you give me the name of this pub please, asking for a friend (promise i'm not a rat).

• Advertisement

I'll be the first to admit i fell for the media hysteria and was nearly close to changing my profile pic to include the stay at home caption bs like all the rest of the naive but having looked at the figures, i cannot for the life of me understand how many daft fools we have in this country and the world for that matter who have fallen for this bs.

I see you are a member of such fools

So you want the world to come to a stand still so people in the 90's who have already lived their life can hang in there another year or two, so the young and healthy give up the best years of their lives to extend the lives of the already close to death people in the population?

They probably don't even practice social distancing themselves, just virtue signalling. It's akin to all those rich celebs and people from affluent areas demanding more refugees but would have a heart attack if said refugees were housed any where near their residence.

Is it general concepts or just language you have a problem comprehending?

How the funk can you equate SOCIAL DISTANCING with ‘giving up the best years of their lives’? If the likes of you can’t manage to just keep a few feet away from other people or wear a mask or godforfunkingbid go without a pint then you’ve a sad little life and I’m sorry to hear that you consider it doesn’t get any better than this.

Think of other people for once in your miserable selfish existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

More wild extremes. No, like anyone else they are just looking for care homes to be run properly and let nature take its course rather than COVID. Anything outside of that is a personal responsibility. If the levels of COVID are higher that risk is higher.

Can you give me the name of this pub please, asking for a friend (promise i'm not a rat).

Talking to friends and work colleagues, its widespread, umteen reports of walking into pubs ordering a pint and not even been offered a food menu.
    You can see it with your own two eyes, if you are out and about and not living in a siege mentality at home, you will see people going in and out of pubs to the bookies next door, look in the windows and see plenty of customers, groups out side the door having a smoke.
    Life is returning to normal, you dont have to like it , but its happening.

• Advertisement

Is it general concepts or just language you have a problem comprehending?

How the funk can you equate SOCIAL DISTANCING with ‘giving up the best years of their lives’? If the likes of you can’t manage to just keep a few feet away from other people or wear a mask or godforfunkingbid go without a pint then you’ve a sad little life and I’m sorry to hear that you consider it doesn’t get any better than this.

Think of other people for once in your miserable selfish existence.
    You appear to be in a siege mentality with this Covid19 panic, its no where near as bad as you think, Pubs busy, children back to school with zero social distancing, sure even while standing at pedestrian crossing you can see 20,30, 40 people shoulder to shoulder waiting for the green man.
    Life is going on with or with out you, if you are worried stay home and order food online, the rest of the world is getting on with living life.

You appear to be in a siege mentality with this Covid19 panic, its no where near as bad as you think, Pubs busy, children back to school with zero social distancing, sure even while standing at pedestrian crossing you can see 20,30, 40 people shoulder to shoulder waiting for the green man.
    Life is going on with or with out you, if you are worried stay home and order food online, the rest of the world is getting on with living life.

I’m like the vast majority - living life as normal but with a few EASY TO UNDERSTAND sensible precautions, in order to make life easier for those (the elderly, the ill, carers and medics) who are directly impacted by the virus.

Your opinion represents the self-centred tiny minority of top-of-phone-box-dancing-drunks that are undermining all these efforts. Don’t let your conscience get the better of your fun, what ever the funk you do... that would be a disaster... ya big child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

If you twitch your curtains 3 times, somebody is bound to notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Govt policy is herd immunity now. For that to happen it has to spread. Once hospitals admissions and ICU numbers are tiny, there’s no issue with it spreading.

“Ireland would aim “to keep it as low level as possible and minimise infections, minimise the risk of our health service being overwhelmed, which we’ve done successfully - until such time as we develop herd immunity, which will take an extremely long time” said Mr Varadker.”

That's complete BS. We don't know what type of immunity we can get after covid. Not all diseases have permanent immunity.

Should we pursue such an approach you definitely don't do it with large gatherings.

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    No herd immunity some one I know got it 3 times
    Also it does permant damage to lungs heart and brain to some people

Supposedly Covid 19 is the most dangerous virus the world has ever seen, a extinction level event if you believe the panic, yet here we have someone who has caught it not once but three times and lived to tell the tale, thats a strange one.

You realise that the virus isn't going anywhere any time soon. Most of the world has realised this and gotten on with things. Ireland seems to be the only country still threatening lockdown, lockdown does not work. Hasn't worked anywhere, all it does is kick the can further down the road.

Bingo!
    Open up the country , let covid19 burn through the land, we will be back up and running at full speed by November.
    Those who want to isolate can, and the rest get on with life, the isolated can emerge in December when there are no new cases in the land.

I’m like the vast majority - living life as normal but with a few EASY TO UNDERSTAND sensible precautions, in order to make life easier for those (the elderly, the ill, carers and medics) who are directly impacted by the virus.

Your opinion represents the self-centred tiny minority of top-of-phone-box-dancing-drunks that are undermining all these efforts. Don’t let your conscience get the better of your fun, what ever the funk you do... that would be a disaster... ya big child.

LOL it's far from normal to get angered by strangers online who disagree with you viewpoint on Covid (however warped they may be).

If there's one thing that I learnt from all of this it's that people with conservative views are only happy if their views don't apply to them. For the last 5 years I lived in both the UK and the US and I see the same thing from conservative voters again and again. It's also evident on Boards and in Ireland.

The same posters here who previously had such right wing views as "drug test and deny welfare", "cut people off welfare" and "have them report their job searching efforts daily".

Now we have a genuinely dangerous situation of a large public gathering in a pandemic and the very same posters are referring to people who report it as the "Stasi".

Supposedly Covid 19 is the most dangerous virus the world has ever seen, a extinction level event if you believe the panic, yet here we have someone who has caught it not once but three times and lived to tell the tale, thats a strange one.

Repeat after me - Flatten the curve, stay at home, practice social distancing, wear a mask.

Big brother is watching you

steddyeddy wrote: »
    If there's one thing that I learnt from all of this it's that people with conservative views are only happy if their views don't apply to them. For the last 5 years I lived in both the UK and the US and I see the same thing from conservative voters again and again. It's also evident on Boards and in Ireland.

The same posters here who previously had such right wing views as "drug test and deny welfare", "cut people off welfare" and "have them report their job searching efforts daily".

Now we have a genuinely dangerous situation of a large public gathering in a pandemic and the very same posters are referring to people who report it as the "Stasi".

There have been rumors of people reporting gatherings in house that exceed the max amount, 4 instances of it last week in Sandyford.

Most people would agree that it's not in good taste.

• Advertisement

You can see the junkies in Dublin city center , dont look healthy at the best of times, they have zero social distancing, sharing the same cigarette and drinking from the same can of beer, they are still living the same life as before covid19, i see the same faces, none of them are dead from covid19, explain that.

LOL it's far from normal to get angered by strangers online who disagree with you viewpoint on Covid (however warped they may be).

Who’s angry?

There have been rumors of people reporting gatherings in house that exceed the max amount, 4 instances of it last week in Sandyford.

Most people would agree that it's not in good taste.

There's rumours of bigfoot too but is there any evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

You can see the junkies in Dublin city center , dont look healthy at the best of times, they have zero social distancing, sharing the same cigarette and drinking from the same can of beer, they are still living the same life as before covid19, i see the same faces, none of them are dead from covid19, explain that.

Do you know them all? How do you know none of them are dead? Or are you exaggerating to try and make your point?

timetogo1 wrote: »
    Do you know them all? How do you know none of them are dead? Or are you exaggerating to try and make your point?

You see the same faces day in day out, why aint they dropping like flies?

Wow, you’re using the behaviour of junkies as your best argument for ignoring social distancing precautions. NORMAL people have the common sense to stay away from junkies at the best of times... so they are unlikely to have come in contact with those carrying the virus. The issue arises in the normal population when people do stupid things... lowering their guard after a few pints.

You see the same faces day in day out, why aint they dropping like flies?

Let's apply that logic to other lines of thinking.

Drugs like heroin aren't bad for you as I see the same people day out taking them and not dropping like flies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

This whole covid thing is a monumental **** up, there's something seriously hooky about it.

The same concern isn't portrayed when the seasonal flu kicks off.

My grandmother was in a nursing home in Killarney, she died of the common cold in 1987, she was old and weak because her time was up and her body had lived it's course. The common cold finished her off and she departed peacefully.
    A wonderful woman.

Although times were different back then,we were less paranoid, strident and weak.
    There was no outcry for having a doctor or nurse on duty with a common cold.

Practically thinking, we're going to have to live with this.
    Once we're over the age of 18 we're supposedly responsible adults and are on the path of adult hood and learn by our mistakes and are not saints.
    But the majority of people mean well and there's a rebel in most of us,we loosen up now and again and make mistakes.
    We don't all want to be the same,think the same and be part of the herd.

It's true that there's a lot of curtain twitching types, it's quite evident here and on Facebook that people's opinions are divided.

You can easily note people who are fearful and anxious and weak minded, and the people who are optimistic, strong and courageous and willing to try to keep going and not let covid 19 dictate their lives.
    The same kind of men and women who'd fight to the death for their families and friends and not put their hands up and surrender.

Covid 19 is like a monster, or a new Demon or God that is encompassing our whole way of living, from how we buy, sell, which direction we walk in, etc

All hail God covid, wear a mask in its name, bless ourselves with alcohol every time we enter and leave a building.

If you don't wear a mask or sanatizer on your hands, you're a potential killer and we're watching you.

I empathize with people whos kid's have started school, people living in urban areas and have no transport to get out of suburbia and stuck in their apartments, walking through the same park's or street's day in and day out.
    Teen-agers getting bored, students unable to enjoy clubbing, party's and gatherings in the time of their lives when they should be out there and able to let loose.
    Old people who are fearful of catching covid if they step outside and someone coughs and it gets in their eye's.

Fear is magnified so much these days that it's in every village town and city in the world.
    This fear has a higher impact on society as a whole.

Maybe after the fear people will be glad it's all over and there will be more cohesion in society, I'm not confident that will happen though.

Living a simple lifestyle has a lot of advantages, have a few outdoor hobbies, enjoy nature and realise that the simple things like headland's woods valleys winding roads and mountains are a lot better for you than shopping mall's, retail parks, night club's, bar's, hotels, gym's, and a lot more indoor places which were once enjoyable and fun.. now they're supposedly places which could potentially kill us.

What's it all about ?

Covid 19 is controlling every thing and it's time we give it the bird and say **** it, wear the masks if you want and sanatize our hand's but enjoy your freedom and drop the fear.

There's lots of open spaces, finish off that jigsaw, get that leather craft set you've always wanted. Carve wood, learn to draw or buy a pair of binoculars and observe those star's above our heads.
    I've bought 3 Paris of binoculars since the lockdown and I've been out late at night observing the vastness of space and looking at the islands and bird life around the coastline.
    It's a great distraction from the whole covid thing.

Remember that it's not your fault all of this happened or your the government or China's fault, no point in falling out with friends and neighbors whether they're conspiracy theorists or blatantly touting the rules.
    We all break the rules from time to time, and get away with it...

Just don't be a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Zardaz

Survivorship Bias
    Only the tough nuts are left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,692 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think the reason that the impact of Covid thus far hasn't been as bad as it might have been is because of the restrictions and the caution which has surrounded it.

I't an absolutely frustrating time with real mental health impacts, to some degree or another, on most people worldwide, but we have seen the evidence of it running amok and the knock on impact of that.

The virus isn't going to go easy on people just because its frustrating to have to be cautious. This could be good practice for a truly vicious virus which will likely emerge, at some point.

Advertisement