Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocking youtube on MAC addresses not whitelisted

Options
  • 30-08-2020 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Been getting annoyed with this over the last while and decided to start looking into how to address it. The kids have a bunch of devices they can access youtube on currently, the nintendo switch, tablets, smart TV etc and while the usual screaming content they were watching was merely getting on my nerves, they are now getting some weird stuff showing up in their history on review and also caught one of the kids sneaking on to youtube at 1am one night, so time to tackle this.

Looking at two things to address here.

1) Youtube in general isn't used very well here, and I'd like to block it entirely in the house but to be fair my wife will sometimes use it for research so I can't just blanket ban it. Instead I'd like to register a set of MAC addresses to allow access to Youtube but block it by default for everything else. In an ideal scenario, this is relatively easily modified too, say if a friend comes over and is keen to show something on youtube.

2) Similar to this, I'd like to be able to set a timer or flick a button on an app and everything not on a whitelist loses access to the internet. The eldest, like all teenagers is addicted to the phone and more often than not I've had to take the phone off him at stupid o'clock because he's still using it.

I'm not afraid of spending a bit of time or money to get this working and I've a raspberry pi sitting here gathering dust if that helps?

Appreciate any ideas while I'm still looking into this myself

Cheers,
    Red

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

RedXIV wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Been getting annoyed with this over the last while and decided to start looking into how to address it. The kids have a bunch of devices they can access youtube on currently, the nintendo switch, tablets, smart TV etc and while the usual screaming content they were watching was merely getting on my nerves, they are now getting some weird stuff showing up in their history on review and also caught one of the kids sneaking on to youtube at 1am one night, so time to tackle this.

Looking at two things to address here.

1) Youtube in general isn't used very well here, and I'd like to block it entirely in the house but to be fair my wife will sometimes use it for research so I can't just blanket ban it. Instead I'd like to register a set of MAC addresses to allow access to Youtube but block it by default for everything else. In an ideal scenario, this is relatively easily modified too, say if a friend comes over and is keen to show something on youtube.

2) Similar to this, I'd like to be able to set a timer or flick a button on an app and everything not on a whitelist loses access to the internet. The eldest, like all teenagers is addicted to the phone and more often than not I've had to take the phone off him at stupid o'clock because he's still using it.

I'm not afraid of spending a bit of time or money to get this working and I've a raspberry pi sitting here gathering dust if that helps?

Appreciate any ideas while I'm still looking into this myself

Cheers,
    Red

Look into pihole adblocking, it's network wide ad blocking on all devices including in app ads on Apple and Android. You can create groups and add different devices to different groups. We can't live without it

https://pi-hole.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Look into pihole adblocking, it's network wide ad blocking on all devices including in app ads on Apple and Android. You can create groups and add different devices to different groups. We can't live without it

https://pi-hole.net/

I saw that but thought it was only geared at ads? Could it be configured to do something like blocking a site entirely? And idealy filtering only on non-whitelisted MAC addresses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

RedXIV wrote: »
    I saw that but thought it was only geared at ads? Could it be configured to do something like blocking a site entirely? And idealy filtering only on non-whitelisted MAC addresses?

Yes it's for ads (adlists) but allows your block or whitelist any domain, subdomain or regex.

Create two groups, put your own devices in one and the kids devices in the other, then block in the kids device group

Advertisement