Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beasty ban

Options
  • 30-08-2020 10:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭

after being abused and called racist by a troll account I stated that to the poster and reported him multiple times for his trolling(demanding the same explaination 6 times )

no action taken

beasty then bans me for this ,

beasty appears to have a particular political leaning that results in unfair, in my opinion moding .

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Still no action , yet so fast to ban

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

mynamejeff wrote: »

Have you initiated any of said action, as indicated by the graphic at the top of the page. The first step of this process is for you to contact the banning mod and discuss, before continuing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Good morning, mynameisjeff, I'll be going over this with you. As mike_ie has pointed out above, the first step in this process is for you to contact the mod in question and try to seek a satisfactory agreement between you both. If not successful in that, please forward the PM exchange between yourselves to me or post them here and I will examine the infraction then.

Thanks.

this is the conversation with beasty, I responded that this is a question , as shown by the question mark

I believe that this is more to do with beasty personal political beliefs than rules of the site.

Please note this is not an attempt to resolve this, as required under the Dispute Resolution Process

It is simply a statement with nothing to respond to

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mynamejeff
    reported a poster calling me racist and you banned me of stating the obvious ? nice

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beasty
    Dear mynamejeff,

You have been banned from Current Affairs/IMHO for two weeks for posting Backseat Moderation.

Boards.ie has a team of volunteers who look after our forums and they are the ones who will give instruction or take action on a thread should it be deemed necessary.

If you see a problem with a post, report it and a mod will investigate.

Please see the Boards.ie FAQ for more details.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

Beasty

Moderator Note

As you seem to think you are a mod around here and have failed to heed your prior warnings and sanctions the sanctions are increasing

Your post:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mynamejeff
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The_Dazzler
    #
    "Like the wealthy black nba players who identified as black until they realised how much it would cost them"

Yet again. Just to quote you. So you denying their right be "black" because of how much they earn?

Your subsequent comments don't explain this statement. Just retract it and move on or dig yourself more into a racist hole.

every one else who read it can understand it but you cant , sort of makes it your issue not mine

how the fcuk am I denying millionaires who want to be richer anything . they choose to get paid rather that show solidarity .

but facts are racist ……. again

your just a troll mate and a embarrassing one at that

Beasty wrote:
    Please post the full PM exchange
    mynamejeff wrote:
    as expected

so answered none of my questions and refused to remove sanction as expected, your lack of engagement is in line with attitude so far
    Beasty wrote:
    OK, we've got no-where. You seem to fail to recognise it was backseat modding. I would have been prepared to consider a reduction in the sanction if you had made a genuine attempt to engage and resolve this

I ask only one further thing. Please post our full PM correspondence in your appeal thread. I am happy to stand behind all actions I have taken on this site. I am not claiming all were correct, but all have been made in good faith. I think your own attitude comes across very well in this discussion and I would like the whole site to see it

Please progress with your dispute thread

mynamejeff wrote:
    yes aggressive. I hope you aren't trying to de escalate as that isn't how you come across

are you a mod or just a poster

I think your record speaks for itself with regard to the threads you shut down and the posters you ban while allowing other posters to run riot,

was any action taken against the abusive poster who repeatedly called me racist ?

as I ve already stated I suspect that you will not reconsider anything regardless do you want me to wait thill we are done to post the fill exchange ?

Im stating very easily checked facts from your mod history.

I do believe that your modding falls well below even the lowest of standards. Don't mean to offend just my opinion and something that can be checked by your fellow mods
    Beasty wrote:
    Aggressive? Seriously?

BTW, what do you think are my political views?

As I've said it is very clear why you were banned. There was no question to ask. At this stage your approach to this appeal is not encouraging me to reconsider anything. Please do post the full PM exchange

Alternatively you may wish to engage in a non-aggressive manner. Failing to do so will get your challenge nowhere with me
    mynamejeff wrote:
    semantics . it was a question with a question mark , I believe that should be clear by now

I attempted to use the mod system for very obvious breaches of the rules and personal abuse towards me by another poster ,

nothing was done.

I believe that you treat posters differently biased on what position they have on particular topics. I believe that you have shown this in previous threads and with previous interactions with both me and other posters.

I do not believe that you will give me a fair appeal in any case regardless how I go about it.

The aggressive way in which you framed your last PM would seem to bear that out
    Beasty wrote:
    You banned me for stating the obvious is not a question, whether there is a question mark or not. It's a statement by you, nothing more, nothing less.

But if you wish me to state why you were banned, it is very clearly stated in the ban message. It was for backseat modding

You have not started your appeal off very well at all. What am I supposed to do when you are not even attempting to engage?

And what do my political beliefs have to do with anything? What is their relevance? Why bring my political beliefs up, particularly when I have never indicated my political beliefs, as far as I can remember, in all my time on this site. About 0.05% of my posts on this site have been in Politics and most of them have been stating facts/sources
    mynamejeff wrote:
    its a question . with a question mark ??

Beasty wrote:
    Please note this is not an attempt to resolve this, as required under the Dispute Resolution Process

It is simply a statement with nothing to respond to
    mynamejeff wrote:
    reported a poster calling me racist and you banned me of stating the obvious ? nice

Beasty wrote:
    Dear mynamejeff,

You have been banned from Current Affairs/IMHO for two weeks for posting Backseat Moderation.

Boards.ie has a team of volunteers who look after our forums and they are the ones who will give instruction or take action on a thread should it be deemed necessary.

If you see a problem with a post, report it and a mod will investigate.

Please see the Boards.ie FAQ for more details.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

Beasty

Moderator Note

As you seem to think you are a mod around here and have failed to heed your prior warnings and sanctions the sanctions are increasing

Your post:
    #
    "Like the wealthy black nba players who identified as black until they realised how much it would cost them"

Yet again. Just to quote you. So you denying their right be "black" because of how much they earn?

Your subsequent comments don't explain this statement. Just retract it and move on or dig yourself more into a racist hole.

every one else who read it can understand it but you cant , sort of makes it your issue not mine

how the fcuk am I denying millionaires who want to be richer anything . they choose to get paid rather that show solidarity .

but facts are racist ……. again

your just a troll mate and a embarrassing one at that

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I'll have a look at that this morning and get back to you later today.

I've been looking over that thread and the period before you received this ban. You accused another poster of trolling and received a ban for that as backseat moderation. From the FAQ:Boards.ie Guidelines, backseat moderation is described...
    Imagine a game of soccer where one player kept running up to the ref and saying, "You should have warned that guy", "That was offside", or "Time is up on this game". Annoying, yes? Sitting back as a user and consistently directing the Moderator like a minion is going to get you kicked off the pitch. The correct way to bring something to our attention is to report the post.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq_guidelines#faq_bie_faq_guidelines_backseat

Reporting somebody whom you consider to be trolling is the recommended response and accusing somebody of trolling would be entirely at the discretion of a moderator rather than a poster to prevent a thread from going off topic.

Tbh, I'm finding it extremely difficult to find fault with your receiving a card for your posts in this thread. I am disappointed that you chose not to engage positively with the mod on this as I would expect than on many occasions a satisfactory compromise between both parties could be found.

I'm not finding any merit in overturning the ban in this case. You may, if you so wish, seek an Admin review of this decision.

did you find any merit to beastys unfair moding with regard to punishing some posters and not punishing other posters depending on political opinions expressed ?

if two posters break the rules and only one is punished baised on the mods personal politics it is surely unfair

did you find any merit to beastys unfair moding with regard to punishing some posters and not punishing other posters depending on political opinions expressed ?

if two posters break the rules and only one is punished baised on the mods personal politics it is surely unfair

My sole function here is to examine if the infraction is justified and, if it is, is the punishment applied for the infraction justified. And, in my opinion, they were.

I have no role in interpreting other posters punishments or lack of them in this situation. Yours is as far as I'm permitted to interpret.

Do you wish an Admin review of this decision?

yes please

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I will review this. I hope to get to it later today.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I have reviewed this and cannot find a single flaw in the Mod's or CMod's logic despite desperately searching for one.

Calling someone a troll on thread is both uncivil and backseat modding - so the card is fairly cut-and-dried in the first instance. Now to consider the grounds for appeal.

Your arguments about Beasty's political views are obfuscation on your part. Your entire engagement with Beasty was antagonistic and unhelpful in attempting to resolve this. Had it been my call, I would have cut this appeal off at that point since there was no effectual attempt made in good faith to resolve this with the initial Moderator.

As already stated (and as has been stated on this site for years), you are not entitled to enquire as to the interactions between moderators and other members of the site. It's not your business. You don't know no action was taken. We trust moderators to review reports and react appropriately and moderators have the tools to do so.

Buford has taken a different view and dealt with your appeal on its merits and again I cannot find issue with Buford's reasoning - in fact it's a prime example of the application of the rules to the circumstances.

There is no reason to interfere with the Mod's application of the rules in the first instance. You would do well to adopt a less hostile attitude in general on this site or there's a good chance cards will start stacking up and sanctions escalating.

Marking as resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement