Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E bike advice/recommendation ?

Options
  • 30-08-2020 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

I am moving jobs soon so might have to invest in an e bike depending where my job is based. I will have a choice soon of a few different locations to move to.

What are e bikes like and what is a good one to buy please ? Budget around 2.5k. I m not a fan of them as it's like going for a walk and getting into a wheelchair to help you on the way. However, I don't have a motorbike any more and I'm not sitting in traffic.

I want something future proof as I have read stories of e bikes becoming useless when the batteries crap out. They last roughly 800 charges I have read and some don't have replacement batteries.

Is this true, has anyone got good use out of their e bike and bought a spare battery ?

Apologies for all the questions but it's a lot of money. I just blew over 2k on a defy. I'm going to get battered by the wife when/if I come home on an e bike so need to be sure of what to get.

I could be possibly travelling from tallaght to blanch daily.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Here’s a thread about similar https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058059115

Remember that the assistance cuts at over 25kph which leaves you pushing a heavy upright bike. If you are capable (owning a defy?) of maintaining 25kph+ maybe a slippery light commuter bike would be better.

Where the ebike comes into its own is in sh1t weather, up hills and reducing sweating.

Vanmoof have opened a store in Drury street (if you’re in Dublin) where you can get a test ride.

I’m not sure if they are good or not, but they look very cool.

Greenaer are the people to talk to imo, they’ve been into ebikes a long time and I’ve always had great dealings with them. Not the cheapest but good guys to have in your corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

After reading about them, I'd lean more towards a cube as they have a Bosch motor in them which are meant to be very good.

I was considering giant also. However, I read a post on a site that a guys bike battery wouldn't charge after two years and Giant were not making the battery's anymore.

Could you get a conversion kit for a giant defy advanced 2 2020 ? I have stock wheels on it so could buy another front wheel and convert it. When on weekend spins, just stick the normal wheel back on.

Cube is what I have, it’s been very reliable. I tend to go through rear wheel bearings, more due to mileage I think as I’m not heavy. It’s important to look at spec on the cube bikes, they have different levels. Personally I would go with getting racks, lights, mudguards, stand etc. as I don’t think you need many gears. If you are in a lot of traffic you may want a hub gear.

At a guess I have 500+ cycles on my battery. I’d say it’s at 70-80% range compared to new. Please, please please get as large a battery as possible. New batteries are ~600quid although I believe you can get them rebuilt.

Wouldn’t put a conversion kit on a nice road bike personally, you generally have to file off bits of frame and glue pedal sensors onto the crank etc. If you were interested in this I would do it on a secondhand bike.

• Advertisement

Ferris wrote: »
    Cube is what I have, it’s been very reliable. I tend to go through rear wheel bearings, more due to mileage I think as I’m not heavy. It’s important to look at spec on the cube bikes, they have different levels. Personally I would go with getting racks, lights, mudguards, stand etc. as I don’t think you need many gears. If you are in a lot of traffic you may want a hub gear.

At a guess I have 500+ cycles on my battery. I’d say it’s at 70-80% range compared to new. Please, please please get as large a battery as possible. New batteries are ~600quid although I believe you can get them rebuilt.

Wouldn’t put a conversion kit on a nice road bike personally, you generally have to file off bits of frame and glue pedal sensors onto the crank etc. If you were interested in this I would do it on a secondhand bike.

What model cube do you have please ? Thanks for advice.

Cube Reaction Hybrid HPA Pro 500, 2017 model. It has a Bosch gen 2 motor which is very ‘draggy’ when above 25kph or unpowered. All new models (Not only Cube) have gen 3&4 Bosch which Are much better in this regard.

My bike has done about 17k km’s now and there is wear and tear, the motor doesn’t feel as tight as it was but it’s probably well outside of its intended life by now. I also beat the sh1t out of it and show it no love apart from servicing. I wouldn’t be wedded to Cube tho, all these big brands have similar build quality. I would buy on comfort, spec and price along with bike shop convenience. The drive trains are all common and the components are generally the same.

Have you actually tried one?

Cube Reaction Hybrid HPA Pro 500, 2017 model. It has a Bosch gen 2 motor which is very ‘draggy’ when above 25kph or unpowered. All new models (Not only Cube) have gen 3&4 Bosch which Are much better in this regard.

My bike has done about 17k km’s now and there is wear and tear, the motor doesn’t feel as tight as it was but it’s probably well outside of its intended life by now. I also beat the sh1t out of it and show it no love apart from servicing. I wouldn’t be wedded to Cube tho, all these big brands have similar build quality. I would buy on comfort, spec and price along with bike shop convenience. The drive trains are all common and the components are generally the same.

Have you actually tried one?

No not yet. Still having great fun on the defy baiting around on gravel paths. It's a great bike that can handle light trails too. I'm finding out soon where I'm being moved to and then will start properly looking, just getting ideas now. There is some crap out there though and it's nice to get first hand opinions on them as it's a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,982 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I've been looking at various options and there's no doubting Rad Power Bikes off great specs and pricing, I've heard rental companies use their bikes which is a good sign.

One concern, negative reviews, not so much the bikes but customer care albeit I've seen one review were bike hasn't arrived after being ordered and paid for.

My question if anyone can help. Has anyone order a bike, received it, had issues etc with Rad Bikes website, Just ticking boxes before proceeding. Thanks in advance.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

A mate of mine has a Radwagon on backorder, no sign of supply. Seems that ebikes are not immune to the current bike supply issues.

Hard to make an argument against Radpower really, they're great value. Brakes are mechanical disk fwiw, hydraulic would be better obviously, but its a budget bike after all.

Not sure if you can use cycle to work scheme? No local dealers etc. Something like Canyon?

• Advertisement

A mate of mine has a Radwagon on backorder, no sign of supply. Seems that ebikes are not immune to the current bike supply issues.

Hard to make an argument against Radpower really, they're great value. Brakes are mechanical disk fwiw, hydraulic would be better obviously, but its a budget bike after all.

Not sure if you can use cycle to work scheme? No local dealers etc. Something like Canyon?

Thanks for that and yes, hard to argue with what they offer, I actually saw one review involving a bike ordered, was available and then moved to pending after payment made.

I'm not familiar with Canyon?, I've looked at various Irish suppliers, Halford etc but mother of God the prices. I'll Google canyon and thanks for response :)

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that and yes, hard to argue with what they offer, I actually saw one review involving a bike ordered, was available and then moved to pending after payment made.

I'm not familiar with Canyon?, I've looked at various Irish suppliers, Halford etc but mother of God the prices. I'll Google canyon and thanks for response :)

I only said canyon, who mainly supply road bikes, as they also mainly supply from their website (like Radpower), no local dealer to buy from on the cycle to work scheme. Some people were able to get the scheme if their employer would play ball and buy the bikes from the website for them.

I only said canyon, who mainly supply road bikes, as they also mainly supply from their website (like Radpower), no local dealer to buy from on the cycle to work scheme. Some people were able to get the scheme if their employer would play ball and buy the bikes from the website for them.

Yes understood, I'm purchasing bike personally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I just took delivery of a Rad Wagon a couple of days ago.

It is incredibly good value for an ebike for carrying kids. A Tern for example is 3 times the price. It has a telescopic seatpost so both my wife and I can use it.

You can tell it has been built to a price, mechanical disk brakes, rear hub motor, low end drivetrain. If I wasn't interested in the cargo/long tail element, I'd probably try get a Bosch mid-drive, like the Cubes. The controller on the Rad is not as sophisticated, there's a small lag when the assist starts and stops. It's still very useable, just not as smooth as the Bosch. The electric assist is modulated by how hard you pedal in a very intuitive way on the mid-drive ones.

Any other questions, just ask. I'm very happy with the purchase for carrying the kids. I'm planning to buy some accessories but a lot of things are out of stock at the moment.

It is incredibly good value for an ebike for carrying kids. A Tern for example is 3 times the price. It has a telescopic seatpost so both my wife and I can use it.

You can tell it has been built to a price, mechanical disk brakes, rear hub motor, low end drivetrain. If I wasn't interested in the cargo/long tail element, I'd probably try get a Bosch mid-drive, like the Cubes. The controller on the Rad is not as sophisticated, there's a small lag when the assist starts and stops. It's still very useable, just not as smooth as the Bosch. The electric assist is modulated by how hard you pedal in a very intuitive way on the mid-drive ones.

Any other questions, just ask. I'm very happy with the purchase for carrying the kids. I'm planning to buy some accessories but a lot of things are out of stock at the moment.

Hi Mr Grieves, that's brilliant, helpful and reassuring. I saw your model and it's cool. The one I'm looking at is pre order, that doesn't bother me to much. My motivation is really just exercise but also bi weekly shop when possible, it's a 38km round trip, one way down hill, the return up hill but I've a longer flatter option. I too looking at accessories etc.

I also live in the Slieve Blooms with some amazing cycling tracks so perhaps the summer will facilitate more usage.

I'm no expert but the specs seem very good and too be honest at just over €1k it's hard to argue the value being offered.

I wondered how long we're you waiting and I've not checked delivery charges. Enjoy your Bike, sounds like you'll have some fun.

I pre-ordered in July and was told it would ship in September, but it ended up being early October.

They use Splitit too which lets you spread the payment over 3 months with no interest.

I pre-ordered in July and was told it would ship in September, but it ended up being early October.

They use Splitit too which lets you spread the payment over 3 months with no interest.

Great, that's not bad in fairness, the Splitit option, I noticed, wasn't sure if applicable to Ireland but worth considering. Thanks again, safe cycling :)

LOL, yes saw that and it's were I noticed the rental company using rad bikes :)

Fair play, congrats on the new bike. Like I said my pal is waiting on his. He has two kids 3+ so he's looking at the Caboose and running boards to keep them on the back. I'd like to try one myself. I have a long term goal to drop the kids to the childminder in the mornings and had been looking at the Urban Arrow but its ~5k eur. Two radwagons would possibly do the job better and the wife could come :D

• Advertisement

Fair play, congrats on the new bike. Like I said my pal is waiting on his. He has two kids 3+ so he's looking at the Caboose and running boards to keep them on the back. I'd like to try one myself. I have a long term goal to drop the kids to the childminder in the mornings and had been looking at the Urban Arrow but its ~5k eur. Two radwagons would possibly do the job better and the wife could come :D

You can't forget the wife :) has to be said some amazing models on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

byrnem31 wrote: »
    After reading about them, I'd lean more towards a cube as they have a Bosch motor in them which are meant to be very good.

I was considering giant also. However, I read a post on a site that a guys bike battery wouldn't charge after two years and Giant were not making the battery's anymore.

Could you get a conversion kit for a giant defy advanced 2 2020 ? I have stock wheels on it so could buy another front wheel and convert it. When on weekend spins, just stick the normal wheel back on.

An English company call 'Swytch' do a conversion kit for any type bike. Im waiting on one ot be delivered for my cube hybrid , The whole kit is only 3.5kg

Advertisement