Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calypso's Cafe Cork

Options
  • 30-08-2020 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Were chatting about cafes in Cork earlier and ended up googling something about Tribes on Tuckey St. Another cafe that was mentioned was Calypso's. Does anyone remember where it was located please. Think it should have been around until the mid 1990s at least.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Theres a blast from the past. I can vaguely remember it but can't for the life of me remember where it was. Wasnt Paul St area by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

i think it was on Maylor st - the Smyths end ?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Some friends have a better memory than me. I was informed this morning that it ran between Frenchchurch Street and Academy Street with a door at either side. next to where a shop called 'Store' used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

whatever76 wrote: »
    i think it was on Maylor st - the Smyths end ?

Where the Co-mix cafe is now? Rings a bell.

yep that's the one - I did think it was on academy st as per comment above - but I think that was a different name could be wrong though . In any case it was either Academy st or Maylor st that for sure :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

I'm sure this is mentioned on a sign/directory on the side of the Ulster Bank on French Church Street. It's a fairly old sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Not sure if it means anything but google seems to put Amicus forward when you search it, was that the place which was there before Amicus? With the doughnuts in the window?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

bingo9999 wrote: »
    Not sure if it means anything but google seems to put Amicus forward when you search it, was that the place which was there before Amicus? With the doughnuts in the window?

I think Amicus used to be in where 14A is now before they moved to the Gingerbread House.

Regarding Calypso’s the name rings a bell but cannot place it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Next to meadows and Byrne running into French Church St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That was Kafka's

That was Kafka's

Ah that's it - couldn't think of that name - thanks !

Academy/french church st it is then ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

As a teenager hanging around the city in the mid nineties I can indeed remember Kafkas, Tribes and Calypsos. There was one other cafe in that rotation, can't remember the name, up a side street joining South mall and Oliver plunett. It used to have a sofa and big rugs. Dirty enough spot with a big back area.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Sesame wrote: »
    As a teenager hanging around the city in the mid nineties I can indeed remember Kafkas, Tribes and Calypsos. There was one other cafe in that rotation, can't remember the name, up a side street joining South mall and Oliver plunett. It used to have a sofa and big rugs. Dirty enough spot with a big back area.

Java Joe's?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm fairly sure that was on academy street. I dont know what its called now but previous it was harveys bistro. I think

What was the name of the hangout over looking paul street again? Thats more my age, it was above what is Amicus now.

Kafkas went out to Blackpool where Soba is now.

rob316 wrote: »

What was the name of the hangout over looking paul street again? Thats more my age, it was above what is Amicus now.

The Gingerbread House

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Karmella wrote: »
    The Gingerbread House

Thank you. Remember the fresh donuts outside there? Delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Karmella wrote: »
    I think Amicus used to be in where 14A is now before they moved to the Gingerbread House.

Regarding Calypso’s the name rings a bell but cannot place it.

I didn't realise this, but actually was in 14A over the weekend and the transaction came up in my online banking as Amicus so possibly still under the same owner and/or management?

I didn't realise this, but actually was in 14A over the weekend and the transaction came up in my online banking as Amicus so possibly still under the same owner and/or management?

Yes I think they are alright. Haven’t been to either in years but did frequent Amicus before they moved to the bigger premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Java Joe's?

Java Joe's started in The Queen's Old Castle, then moved to where Les Gourmandises was.

I think Harlequin's on Paul Street fits in here too.

Also, anyone remember Thyme Out on Carey's Lane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

There used to be a nice cafe called Bica near the top of Washington Street, I think Cafe Gusto is there now.

I know it was a pub but Lebowskis on Marlboro St I think was popular for coffee and toasties during the day. I might be confusing it with somewhere else though.

I can remember Tribes used to open quit late, could go in there for a toastie and a chat after the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Tribes was the place we went to for hot chocolate late at night. A good alternative to the pub. Thinking back on it, the sofas were very "Friends". It must have been influenced by it.

Sesame wrote: »
    Tribes was the place we went to for hot chocolate late at night. A good alternative to the pub. Thinking back on it, the sofas were very "Friends". It must have been influenced by it.

or a chicken Dijon at 3 in the morning after the night club ! Good times !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Moghead wrote: »
    There used to be a nice cafe called Bica near the top of Washington Street, I think Cafe Gusto is there now.

I know it was a pub but Lebowskis on Marlboro St I think was popular for coffee and toasties during the day. I might be confusing it with somewhere else though.

I can remember Tribes used to open quit late, could go in there for a toastie and a chat after the pub.

Original cafe where Cafe Gusto is was O Briens, no connection with the O Brien sandwich chain. Old fashioned establishment, I remember a lot of music memorabilia on the wall. There was a sister cafe on MacCurtain St, they both closed early 00s

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

Original cafe where Cafe Gusto is was O Briens, no connection with the O Brien sandwich chain. Old fashioned establishment, I remember a lot of music memorabilia on the wall. There was a sister cafe on MacCurtain St, they both closed early 00s

Ah OK, Bica must have been one of the other units there so.

Advertisement