Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pole Saw

Options
  • 31-08-2020 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi Folks, I am looking to buy a pole saw to remove tree branches about 5/6 inches wide.
    Would a battery or electrical saw be up to this? I am hoping not to go above 300 euro,
    thanks
    Dave
    Cork

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

5-6 inches can quite comfortably be cut with a decent hand saw.
    If you haven't got too many branches to cut, you might get away with a handsaw on a pole.
    A chainsaw type electrical pole saw will most certainly be up to the job, just have some breaks for oiling the chain & cooling down the motor if you're tackling a big tree, they are not designed for prolonged, constant use.

Only on Sat I pruned down a willow tree/bush with Lidl's finest telescopic loppers and pruning saw. Thickest diameter was over 20 cm (saw) and up to about 12 cm the loppers did a fine job.
    But I was only working at head height max.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

peasant wrote: »
    5-6 inches can quite comfortably be cut with a decent hand saw.
    If you haven't got too many branches to cut, you might get away with a handsaw on a pole.
    A chainsaw type electrical pole saw will most certainly be up to the job, just have some breaks for oiling the chain & cooling down the motor if you're tackling a big tree, they are not designed for prolonged, constant use.

Only on Sat I pruned down a willow tree/bush with Lidl's finest telescopic loppers and pruning saw. Thickest diameter was over 20 cm (saw) and up to about 12 cm the loppers did a fine job.
    But I was only working at head height max.

Thanks for the reply. I can't really get at the branches with a hand saw, I have used a manual "lopper/saw", to bring down some branches, but it is very slow work, (and tiring), sawing over head, 10/12 feet up.
    I have a lot of branches to bring down so I think I will look out an electric saw.
    Thanks for your interest,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

daphil wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I can't really get at the branches with a hand saw, I have used a manual "lopper/saw", to bring down some branches, but it is very slow work, (and tiring), sawing over head, 10/12 feet up.
    I have a lot of branches to bring down so I think I will look out an electric saw.
    Thanks for your interest,
    Dave

Yeah..some years ago I had a similar problem. Thick branches, quite high up. Cheap electric polesaw (cable, about 70 quid if I remember correctly) did a decent job.

Looking back it was all a bit iffy though. Even a polesaw can be too short sometimes. So you have to cut in not so ideal places where the saw can get pinched or the branch can drop on top of you or you're hanging out of a step ladder etc...

Anyhow, I have since decided that anything that I can't do or reach with manual equipment I will either let grow relegate to an arborist :D...big branches are dicey and I wouldn't trust myself with a chainsaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

peasant wrote: »
    Yeah..some years ago I had a similar problem. Thick branches, quite high up. Cheap electric polesaw (cable, about 70 quid if I remember correctly) did a decent job.

Looking back it was all a bit iffy though. Even a polesaw can be too short sometimes. So you have to cut in not so ideal places where the saw can get pinched or the branch can drop on top of you or you're hanging out of a step ladder etc...

Anyhow, I have since decided that anything that I can't do or reach with manual equipment I will either let grow relegate to an arborist :D...big branches are dicey and I wouldn't trust myself with a chainsaw.

It's raining, all things postponed for now.

Advertisement