Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter cycling

Options
  • 31-08-2020 9:05am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

Any tips for winter cycling? I'm absolutely clueless with bikes and winter.

With covid around, I have a fear of using buses. I haven't used a bus in 6 months, I cycle everywhere.

Any tips for making cycling more safer in winter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's only really ice you have to watch, and then in most cases, they grit the road (so you can move to the road). Other thing is wet grates/ grids, but that applies to wet days in summer.

A few days maybe harder with wind, or miserable with rain, but those are the days of queues and queues of cars and packed sweaty buses.

But decent lights are a must. Not necessarily brighter is better, if you can look for German standard lights ideally, but probably not chinese cree anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

regarding salt as well - it can be very corrosive, so if you have the ability, it might be worth hosing your bike down if you've cycled after the roads have been salted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Getting a decent set of Mudguards will make you winter cycling a much better experience.

As mentioned above a good set of lights are a must-have. I've usually got a couple of sets on the go so that I have a back-up in case I've forgotten to charge them.

Advertisement