Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strimmer and battery power

Options
  • 31-08-2020 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am in the market for a strimmer. i have a reasonably large area of lawn and the strimmer is used for under a fence, and along a bank which is about 250 yards long.

I dont think i need the big bicycle handle type you see professionals with but I would like a machine that will do the job when called on.

for reasons of past experience I like Sthil machines as they are reliable and do what is asked of them.

my question to you guys, is does anyone have any experience of the battery products, they intrigue me at the moment as it would be a handy way to go, but are they comparable to their petrol counterparts? like for like of course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭allybhoy

I had a cheap petrol strimmer that broke my heart for years, always had issues with starting it no matter what i did. A friend of mine had a Ryobi One Strimmer that he gave me a lend of, used it for a weekend and bought one online myself, fantastic piece of kit. Extremely light, very powerful and battery life is really good. You will easily get 30-40 mins continuous use from it, i dont think mine has ever gone dead on me whilst using it. I have it about a year and the battery life seems fine. Takes roughly 90 mins to fully charge from dead. Its a conventional strimmer that has like a spool with wire underneath that you pull out, only difference is the power train and the weight. There are other electric strimmers on the market that dont use the traditional cable and spool, they have a plastic blade instead, think the Bosch one uses that.

Heres the link i bought mine on, its at a good price now, i tihnk i paid 120 sterling including the battery and the charger

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01NB0C831/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭whippet

I also had a pain in my ass with a petrol strimmer that I spent more time getting going and meddling with than I did strimming.

I got one of these during the summer https://www.dewalt.ie/products/dcm561p1s-gb--18v-dewalt-brushless-string-trimmer-5-0ah

it gives about 40mins strimming time which is just enough to get my garden done .. I did get a second battery as I got a DeWalt hedge trimmer at the same time that uses the same battery.

It is light and the spool is far easier to load than the old one

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mickward

Thanks for the feedback guys, how much strimming would you have to do, am I mad thinking these machines could replace a light duty petrol machine?
    that Dewalt machine was expensive i would think!

Advertisement