Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas meter fault, who pays?

Options
  • 31-08-2020 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

If someone could help with this query I'd really appreciate it. If a Tennant asks their landlord for permission to get a payg gas meter installed and subsequently there's a problem with the meter is it the Tennant or landlord who is liable for any repair costs or costs to have the gas supply reinstated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Surely it would come down to what exactly the problem is, and how it arose? Can you give any extra detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭ooter

There's a problem with the meter, not sure how it arose but there is money on the card so that's not the issue. Gas networks ireland are sending someone out to repair it, assuming there are charges involved is it the Tennant or landlord who pays?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Clearly tenant. E.g. tenant asks to install their own washing machine which develops a fault, why would that be the landlord's problem?

If the landlord is getting it installed them it's their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

Presumably whoever supplies the gas owns the meter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Nothing to do with the LL. Tenant wanted it. LL does not install or own it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

ooter wrote: »
    If a Tennant asks their landlord for permission to get a payg gas meter installed

Actually, this is probably key to it.

Did tenant actually have it installed after seeking permission to do so? If so, then I'd say it's up to tenant to get it fixed, and pay any charges due to do so. Bit like how tenants in the house we let out asked for permission a while ago to have Sky TV installed. We let them at it, but if they have a problem with their dish or Sky box, it'll be up to them to sort it out, not us.

Or did landlord install it after being asked to do so by tenant? If so, landlord is probably responsible. But be mindful that this might lead to landlord feelings of "this thing is more trouble than it's worth, and I never wanted it anyway". So particularly if charges are relatively small, tenant should consider covering them anyway, since they're the ones who asked for it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭MacDanger

If it's now part of the fixtures and fittings of the house, I'd have thought that it's owned by the LL and they are responsible for maintaining it.

That said, the LL will probably feel pretty peeved at being asked to pay for the repair of something that he didn't want

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

MacDanger wrote: »
    If it's now part of the fixtures and fittings of the house, I'd have thought that it's owned by the LL and they are responsible for maintaining it.

That said, the LL will probably feel pretty peeved at being asked to pay for the repair of something that he didn't want

not at all, its not the property of the LL , so if your ESB meter was broken do you think the LL would be paying for that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Generally there is no charge for a faulty meter (gas or electric) as they belong to the network operator and are kind of important in them making any money!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

How did it get damaged?

If its faulty the gas meter company will pay, if you bashed it with the heel end of your stilettoes you will have to pay, if the landlord bashed it with his stilletoes he would have to pay I suppose but Ive never seen a landlord wear stilettoes to a house they were letting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭ooter

Yeah that's what I was thinking/hoping, if it's faulty the gas company will cover the cost but if they find physical damage someone else will have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

ooter wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I was thinking/hoping, if it's faulty the gas company will cover the cost but if they find physical damage someone else will have to pay.

If they decide you’ve been tampering with it you’ll have to pay. Most likely its faulty and they will shoulder the cost - have you checked their website - might be covered there under FAQ’s or in the handbook/tenants contract. At least its only in - you could check citizens info under their supply of goods and services act - if it wasn’t driven into or mucked about with it would probably come under their ‘fit for purpose’ clause if its there less than a year. Luckily its gas so that is regulated to the back teeth and would also come under health and safety compliance leglislation . Most likely you will be ok. Wait until they fix it first before having an argument with them - its getting colder out there!

Advertisement