Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiators are not hot

Options
  • 31-08-2020 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've gas heating at home. Boiler thermostat is on 5 (being 6 max) plus room thermostat over 25 ºC however we don't feel warming enough. If we increase the room temperature, the radiators don't get hotter.

What do you suggest the issue could be?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Is the radiator too hot to keep your hand on, top and bottom?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaldo

No, never too hot top and bottom. They are fully open (checked and re-checked...)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Turn off all rads except 2 and see if it improves.

Do you have a hotwater cylinder? If yes, you might post a pic of it and attached pipework.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

I did it and didn't improve.

Yes, I do have a hotwater cylinder with 2 zoned motorized valves for radiatiors located upstairs and downstairs plus another for hot tap water.

I noticed that the heater from the boiler turns off after 6 minutes of working without the temperature reaching the supposed to reach based on the room thermostats. The heater works but stops working after a few minutes.

Why?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Sounds like you may have very poor circulation.

In this case, as the circulation is restricted, the boiler actually reaches temperature quickly as is cannot get the hot water away and around you system.

Primary causes:
    Poor circulating pump performance (may need a new pump)
    Scaled up boiler heatexchanger (may need at least a new hex, and possibly a power flush)
    Sludged/scaled heating system (may need a power flush)

One last one, is just in case the boiler is a Baxi Solo, it maybe a gas valve issue.

You will really need to engage a good RGI plumber to come out and diagnose for you.

• Advertisement

I got the boiler service back in March

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Regardless, pump and gas valve are mechanical issues that can happen anytime, regardless of service (they are non serviceable components)
    Plus on the scale and mechanical side, a lot can happen in 6 months.

Thank you.

It seems there is an issue with the gas valve. Now what's the normal cost for a gas valve's replacement? Better to change the whole boiler?

Advertisement