Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adele accused of 'Cultural Appropriation'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

It's Notting Hill carnival.... it's a carnival....in London. She's English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Writing in the comments section of the Instagram post, a user said: "Bantu knots are NOT to be worn by white people in any context, period."

It would look absolutely daft on me, but I kind of want to get them now purely because I've been told I can't.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The entire concept of cultural appropriation is nonsense.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This is nonsense. Outraged mob strikes again?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Urquell

"A Twitter user said "

How ...but How is that news? It makes us all a bit more stupid ... that National Broadcasters seek this nonsense out and give weight to it. Making the opinionated think their guff is somehow valid, worth even ... and perpetuates it further.

Is there nothing more important happening and where in the world? What a stupid age. Damn kids ... *shakes fist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Somewhere JBP is seething

Urquell wrote: »
    "A Twitter user said "

How ...but How is that news? It makes us all a bit more stupid ... that National Broadcasters seek this nonsense out and give weight to it. Making the opinionated think their guff is somehow valid, worth even ... and perpetuates it further.

Is there nothing more important happening and where in the world? What a stupid age. Damn kids ... *shakes fist

I'd expect no different from RTE. Who ever runs the site is a far leftie, social media ****.

Nothing but left leaning, and "Twitter Users said" type articles.

I picture some female in her 30s wearing a "Repeal" jumper.
    The kind of girl I'd end up arguing with 24/7 if we dated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

One twitter user offended = RTE headline. I think RTE are the problem here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Urquell wrote: »
    "A Twitter user said "

It gives lazy journalists something to write about without putting any effort into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have always been dismayed at news organisations doing that.

Decades ago do you think BBC news started a report with the words "A man in the pub today accused the Beatles of cultural appropriation...".

Of course not, because the opinions of random people is not ****ing news. Its not important. Opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one and it should not be newsworthy what some gob****e thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Could be time to call out BA Baracus, he of the Alpha team mavericks 80's TV fame on his Mohawk hairstlye.

This hairdo likely belongs to the Native Americans, which in turn could itself be claimed to the The red-haired 'Clonycavan Man' (bog body found in Ireland), the dude is notable for having a well-preserved Mohawk hairstyle, (392 BCE and 201 BCE).

Good on Adele for loosing all the excess weight, many folks would just shrug and say their big-boned.
    Whereas a bit of exercise and diet/lifestyle changes and whola, negative 8 stone in about 3mths,
    mainly due to green juices and sirtfood. Don't worry about the haterz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Bjork used to have that hair in the 90s. No little bitches complained about it. Bet lots of the whiners are white too.

Adele looks fab. There was such butt hurt when she lost all the weight. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Can any and all proponents of "cultural appropriation" PLEASE do the world a favour and take a long jump off of the shortest (and preferably highest) pier they can find! If there's nothing but razor sharp rocks on the bottom, all the better.. .. ..

Absolute rubbish. Can someone mock a culture in this kind of manner? Yes of course. Is that what Adele is doing? Of course not! Jesus there was a case of a young woman in America, an African American woman NOT that that should mean anything to those of us actually capable of rational thought; and she loves Irish dancing and is bloody well damn skilled at it too. And then these cultural appropriation fascists then hound and abuse her accusing her of same!

Cultural appropriation? Seems like cultural appreciation to me! FFS. If a young girl (child) want to dress up as Moana for example at kid's costume party, is she doing so to mock polynesian culture?? ?? Or is she doing it because she loves the character of Moana?? ?? ??

The world has gone absolutely f*cking insane with absolute idiotic left/right wing psychos, inflicting their ridiculous moral high ground systems on people when it's based on absolute fiction! Modern day fascism in a nutshell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yet another reason why I don’t listen to or watch RTÉ.
    Should be closed down. Waste of money.

I preferred Adele when she was fat..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I cooked a pretty authentic lamb keema (curry) last night. Should I phone up the Indian embassy and apologise for offending the whole subcontinent?

That's how silly it sounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Fair play to Adele I say!
    Getting her newly minted Baps out in a bikini!
    So so brave...
    It's a pity is seems to be Jamaican so many people mad ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Journos are on slim pickings these days.

I watched the Bob Marley in London doc on the Beeb at the weekend, really interesting and I enjoyed it.

Am I now guilty of cultural appropriation? I like Snoop Doggy Dogg also.
    and missy elliott , sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Also if cultural appropriation really starts gaining a foothold here?
    Do we have to give back Bundee Aki, CJ Stander and those other "Irish" lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Cultural appropriation" is a phrase used by racists who want to pretend they're something else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The professionally offended.

Peculiarly not usually even members of the groups that they are offended for. Take Christmas trees. No Jewish or Muslim people complain, but some Christian loon thinks they will become offended on their behalf.

Look at any Twitter thread on this and the majority of comments are supportive of Adele. British people are pointing out what Notting Hill carnival is about. Jamaican people and Bantu people are happy that others are appreciating their culture.

There is no "outrage", just a few (mostly) American moaners who don't realise that USA does not equal rest of world.

Of course, we all now have to get outraged about manufactured outrage and rail against the nefarious mob of liberals who want to cancel everything.
    I'd expect no different from RTE. Who ever runs the site is a far leftie, social media ****.

Nothing but left leaning, and "Twitter Users said" type articles.

I picture some female in her 30s wearing a "Repeal" jumper.
    The kind of girl I'd end up arguing with 24/7 if we dated :)

Nothing to do with "far lefties". The Daily Mail, that well-known bastion of progressive left-wing politics, have a piece on it too.

If anything, it's right wing media that will lap this up even more. Someone on Twitter says cultural appropriation is reported to read like left-wing feminist woke libtards want to take away your freedom to wear what you want, which just gives more fuel to populists who find railing against political correctness an easy way to gain support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

The world is gone mad at the moment and we seem to be in the era of where the voice of the crazy and offended is loudest.

On one hand people are fighting for inclusivity and equality and on the other a lot of those same people are calling out people for cultural appropriation for anything that is considered specific to a certain minority. It's a real case of I want it all but only on my terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭inajock

Singer gets new curlers

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Who are the people being offended?

Willing to bet they are white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Seamai wrote: »
    I cooked a pretty authentic lamb keema (curry) last night. Should I phone up the Indian embassy and apologise for offending the whole subcontinent?

It can get even sillier than that. Last year in Canada, some Inuit musicians got into a cultural kerfuffle because a Cree singer recorded an album using a type of throat singing not traditionally associated with her tribe.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/09/canada-indigenous-music-awards-inuit-cree-cultural-appropriation

Whatever about your curry, that's like Dublin going nuts because someone from Meath made coddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I was just saying about the absolute state of that 'reporting'. Just regurgitating comments from Twitter seems to pass as journalism thse days.

This has to be the worst part
    However, many social media users have come to Adele's defence, arguing she was free to wear her hair however she liked.

Supermodel Naomi Campbell, whose mother was born in Jamaica, also commented with two love heart emojis and two pictures of the Jamaican flag.

Jamaican musician Popcaan shared a fist emoji and a love heart.

And actress Tessa Thompson, who stars in sci-fi TV series Westworld, commented with a flame emoji.

Just telling us what emojis were posted FFS.

Second, only to DublinLive for posting videos where the article just describes what happens in the video, for banality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

I would.

Serious rack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Are these people saying we should stop buying anything related to black people? Am I still allowed to drive around playing reggae music.

Are these geniuses on twitter trying to take the white market away from black people?

Should the black hairdressers that do the braids in santa ponsa be told they can only feed their families with money from black people?

The people saying this on twitter havnt got the inteligence to understand white people buying stuff off black people is a way to make black people money but world media has decided it should report what they say.

• Advertisement

Nothing to do with "far lefties". The Daily Mail, that well-known bastion of progressive left-wing politics, have a piece on it too.
    As a concept, "cultural appropriation" is a conservative/right-wing ideology as at it's core is the concept that cultures should not intermix. That one should be actively banned from engaging in specific activities or fashions based on your heritage.

As you say though, the perpetually oppressed right-wing lap it up though because it's "other cultures criticising white people" and by God does that feed into their victim complex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I wouldn't have any problem with it but then again, I'm not black so I wouldn't really understand the context that could mean I'd have a problem with it.

If she wasn't doing it to take the p1ss out of the bantu style, and there isn't a history of peope doing bantu style to take the p1ss out of the culture, then I really don't see any problem with it.

So what if some people disagree with it on twitter. The headline "some people get cross on twitter" shouldn't be news and shouldn't really get any clicks. But as the OP demonstrated by clicking on it and starting a thread about it, it is news abd does get clicks.

What ethnicity are the people saying this?

I don’t think think it suits her though,

EDIT; I keep getting ERROR 404 and though my posts were not posting hence multiple pairs saying the same thing

What ethnicity are the people saying is “cultural appropriation”?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Micks and Paddies mainly. Also Biddies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

People who use the term "cultural appropriation" are racists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

We should ban white people having dreadlocks in fairness. Not for cultural reasons, but because they look fücking hideous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I wish there was some way I could filter news stories so that any that mention twitter never came visible to me

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Micks and Paddies mainly. Also Biddies.

It was a rhetorical question meaning I think the people are white.

I didn’t mean for you to have to look them up.

Grahamer72 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0831/1162263-adele-accused-of-cultural-appropriation-on-instagram/

What do the good people of AH think of this one?

Personally i think it's high time that people have to take a rigorous test before being let anywhere near the Internet. Are these people trolls or genuinely this sad?

Why the hell is RTÉ posting that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

It can get even sillier than that. Last year in Canada, some Inuit musicians got into a cultural kerfuffle because a Cree singer recorded an album using a type of throat singing not traditionally associated with her tribe.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/09/canada-indigenous-music-awards-inuit-cree-cultural-appropriation

Whatever about your curry, that's like Dublin going nuts because someone from Meath made coddle.

Be very careful what you say about Canuckistan. We don't take PC very lightly!

I for one refrain from clearing my throat in public since the incident you mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Twitter suggests it's 'black America' (not Jamica, nor much of Landan), after all there is an election to win, and points to score while walking on egg shells.

I wouldn't have any problem with it but th en again, I'm not black so I wouldn't really understand the context that could mean I'd have a problem with it.
    The context really is that through recent history, white people invading other countries tend to steamroll the local cultures.

When you consider how much of this has been white people invading black or Asian countries, you can see why this specific ire is directed at white people.

In the US in particular, this has been an ongoing issue for black cultures. Even with equal rights, there has been an implicit racism against black-associated hairstyles, like afros, cornrows, bantu-style; not to mention traditional black clothing.
    People who sport these hairstyles and clothes are subject to considerable discrimination (in the US anyway), restricting their access to work, education and housing. This has resulted in black people having to whitewash their own culture to get along. It's why black men so frequently just have a standard short cut and why black women so often wear wigs.

That's just to give one example.

The "cultural appropriation" anger, is basically a reaction to this. Incredulity that on one hand there's systemic racism against the traditions of other cultures, and on the other that white people engage in these traditions as a fashion statement, suffering no discrimination.

Of course, this is just another form of racism. It's common that someone would be precious about their culture (how many aul fellas are still uncomfortable with a black GAA player?), especially if that culture has been under attack for generations. But that's still no excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

People who use the term "cultural appropriation" are racists.

Twitter suggests it's 'black America' (not Jamica, nor much of Landan), after all there is an election to win, and points to score while walking on egg shells.

How daft people are and that an organisation like RTÉ would report this “story” causes me physical pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Someone seems to have stolen page one of this thread!

379Yi.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I saw a Japanese businessman wearing a Western style 3 piece business suit - the cultural appropriating bastard. He was hairy too. :D

I think you should phone the Indian Embassy and apologise for asking a bunch of Irish people if you should apologise to the Indian Embassy because asking us is racist

:p

I think you should phone the Indian Embassy and apologise for asking a bunch of Irish people if you should apologise to the Indian Embassy because asking us is racist

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

I object to the way that some african people wear three piece suits - surely that is cultural appropriation also.

**** 100% tongue in cheek to show how ridiculous this whole argument is

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I saw a Japanese businessman wearing a Western style 3 piece business suit - the cultural appropriating bastard. He was hairy too. :D

Brilliant

Go on the social media thingy where those tools are nasty to Adele and post that

• Advertisement
Advertisement