Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adele accused of 'Cultural Appropriation'

Comments

KungPao wrote: »
    I’m getting too old for this ****.

Imagine a life without all this nonsense. That’s it, phone in bin. Sir Richard Branson, I request termination of our little deal where we exchange internets for monies.

I want out.

Ciao.

Your username sounds a bit like you're appropriating it from some other culture. Also "Ciao". You're clearly a monster.

Sarcasm font.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

There's a gulf of a difference between cultural appreciation and appropriation. If you took dreadlooks and claimed that they were originally irish and jamicans stole them, that would be appropriation. A kid dressing up as pocahontus is appreciation.

If you want to take the right wing view that all races and cultures should stay pure, you may want to take a good hard look at yourself.

I find it incredibly reductive to view the world as having just three cultures; black, white, and Asian, like these people seem to do. The hairstyle apparently started with Zulu tribes in southern Africa. How can it be that the rest of Africa, with its 3,000 tribes and unique cultures, did not appropriate this style, but once someone of a different race wears it, it's cultural appropriation.

It's like these people can't differentiate between race and culture and it's pretty ignorant. They band all black people together and say they share one culture. How a black electrician from Dublin is of the same culture as a sapeur from Brazzaville, I'll never know.

These people are simply racists and they only care about white people "acting" black or black people "acting" white. It has nothing to do with the integrity of culture or whatever they claim it to be. They're the special people who hate two things; racists and white people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Jesus, people are fupping stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

no.8 wrote: »
    The world was a much better place before Twitter etc. And all these t*****s who had a platform to be offended by each and everything.

When Twitter first appeared I remember someone saying that if you can express yourself in 140 characters or less, you're not thinking hard enough. I think this proposition has been proved beyond a shadow of a doubt during Twitter's existence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Strumms wrote: »
    True,

If I was a bikini wearing fella I can pick one up online in basically any country flag. A pic here of 3 girls in an Irish tricolor bikini and a chap in Irish tricolor shorts... I’m trying my heart out to get offended but ...

irish_flag_swimwear_09.jpg

Whitey culturally appropriating the Ivory Coast's national emblem - and furthermore disrespecting their flag by wearing it backwards. :mad: This is an act of war.

storker wrote: »
    When Twitter first appeared I remember someone saying that if you can express yourself in 140 characters or less, you're not thinking hard enough. I think this proposition has been proved beyond a shadow of a doubt during Twitter's existence.

Well it's 280 now.. And your post has 242..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Well it's 280 now.. And your post has 242..

We all counted them, didn't we? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Strumms wrote: »
    True,

If I was a bikini wearing fella I can pick one up online in basically any country flag. A pic here of 3 girls in an Irish tricolor bikini and a chap in Irish tricolor shorts... I’m trying my heart out to get offended but ...

irish_flag_swimwear_09.jpg

He needs to lean himself the other way. The green should be by the pole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

They're discussing it on LBC now if anyone fancies a bit of outrage. The host is asking for anyone who agrees it's cultural appropriation, to call in and chat about it.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/london/radio/player/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I'd expect no different from RTE. Who ever runs the site is a far leftie, social media ****.

Nothing but left leaning, and "Twitter Users said" type articles.

I picture some female in her 30s wearing a "Repeal" jumper.
    The kind of girl I'd end up arguing with 24/7 if we dated :)

yep, single has her hair dyed purple and has multiple cats ... a total lunatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

He needs to lean himself the other way. The green should be by the pole.

So are they Ivory Coast from behind ?
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So are they Ivory Coast from behind ?
    ;)

Yamoussoukro looks the same from either direction.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This kinda thing?

Sjw+hair_df9c4d_5843518.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

o1s1n wrote: »
    Writing in the comments section of the Instagram post, a user said: "Bantu knots are NOT to be worn by white people in any context, period."

It would look absolutely daft on me, but I kind of want to get them now purely because I've been told I can't.

Instagram was invested by two white men, non white people should not use it in any context, period.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

This kind of nonsense is becoming the norm and it will win out.

WTF were RTE doing writing an article about it giving these airheads the time of day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

tenor.gif

Piers Morgan defending Adele now. For once I'm actually in agreement with that c*nt, who'd have thunk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Wibbs wrote: »
    This kinda thing?

Like the front row of a Repeal protest as one lad quipped on Twitter.

Wibbs wrote: »
    This kinda thing?

One of them "non binary" folk as well no doubt. Geez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

So if we are going to go down this line of thought , can i accuse a black woman who straightens her hair of cultural appropriation ?

I didnt think so , nor would anyone want to. Trying to label things cultural appropriation is really divisive behavior.

• Advertisement

This kind of nonsense is becoming the norm and it will win out.

WTF were RTE doing writing an article about it giving these airheads the time of day.

This thing is not becoming the norm. There was a story based on a few people on twitter saying they disagreed with something. This isn't a mass movement. It's almost impossible to find anyone who agrees with those few people on twitter. Have there been any posters in this thread who offered complete support for the few tweeters?

Rte covered it for two reasons:
    1 because it was a social interest story covered by other news outlets and that decision has been validated by this thread and the other discussion around the topic which has happened since the event. I linked to a radio discussion on LBC this morning. They struggled to get anyone to agree that Adele did something wrong.

2, it's a story for people like yourself who WANT to be outraged and WANT to imagine that "This kind of nonsense is becoming the norm and it will win out". It was an outrage piece written FOR you to help you get outraged. It's RTE writing for you.

This thing is not becoming the norm. There was a story based on a few people on twitter saying they disagreed with something. This isn't a mass movement. It's almost impossible to find anyone who agrees with those few people on twitter. Have there been any posters in this thread who offered complete support for the few tweeters?

1 because it was a social interest story covered by other news outlets and that decision has been validated by this thread and the other discussion around the topic which has happened since the event. I linked to a radio discussion on LBC this morning. They struggled to get anyone to agree that Adele did something wrong.

2, it's a story for people like yourself who WANT to be outraged and WANT to imagine that "This kind of nonsense is becoming the norm and it will win out". It was an outrage piece written FOR you to help you get outraged. It's RTE writing for you.
    Isn't it though? If you dare offer critique or speak against the modern 'status quo' as narrated by the left/right, you're then labelled as a bigot/hater/etc. Nothing should be free from criticism, absolutely nothing. While those advocating for this rubbish are in the minority, those in authority are afraid to dare speak against them. This cultural appropriation garbage is just one of its many faces. While it may not be 'the norm', it's certainly common enough to warrant concern for anyone that doesn't subscribe to such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I don't believe anyone in their right mind has an issue with what Adele did with her hair/wore as a bikini. The term cultural appropriation is a load of bollox. Left/right doesn't even come into it.

Found it extremely difficult to find anyone other than some very militant Americans actually giving out about this. That shithole isn't the centre of the world, it's certainly not an example to follow - for anything.

A few years back dressing up as a black celebrity would have been fine.

Now it's a no go.

Imagine dressing up as BA and not having black skin. You wouldn't be doing what you could to look like BA if you didn't. But...these types of clowns won out.

Imagine dressing up as Pamela Anderson and not using fake tits or blonde hair.

I'm telling you, this is how these things weed their way into our lives.

Remember a couple years back you could fcuk the head of someone for parking in a disabled space when they didn't need one? Now we can't do that because "their disability might not be visible"

There's corps out there and in Ireland telling people they should use "they/them" if they're unsure of what pronouns the person uses.

jaxxx wrote: »
    Isn't it though? If you dare offer critique or speak against the modern 'status quo' as narrated by the left/right, you're then labelled as a bigot/hater/etc. Nothing should be free from criticism, absolutely nothing. While those advocating for this rubbish are in the minority, those in authority are afraid to dare speak against them. This cultural appropriation garbage is just one of its many faces. While it may not be 'the norm', it's certainly common enough to warrant concern for anyone that doesn't subscribe to such nonsense.

Just look at the responses in this thread. Has anyone actually expressed support for the idea that what Adele did was cultural appropriation and is a bad thing?

All I see is an echo chamber of frightened/outraged people asking rhetorical questions like "I saw an Asian man wearing a western suit. Should I call,him a racist?" And "I saw a black woman with straightened hair, should I call her out for cultural appropriation?".

There's almost zero support for this idea but it has loads of people sh1tting themselves with fear.

Now it's a no go.

Imagine dressing up as BA and not having black skin. You wouldn't be doing what you could to look like BA if you didn't. But...these types of clowns won out.

I'm telling you, this is how these things weed their way into our lives.

Remember a couple years back you could fcuk the head of someone for parking in a disabled space when they didn't need one? Now we can't do that because "their disability might not be visible"

There's corps out there and in Ireland telling people they should use "they/them" if they're unsure of what pronouns the person uses.

Bolded bit - you are way off, fuckin miles off.

It's funny reading posts like the above and then reading columns and pieces from periods of history like - the buildup to women getting the vote and watching the scared men froth at the mouth over something that doesn't and will never even affect them in the slightest.

Tell me this, during the buildup to they gay marriage referendum - was this one of your tropes?

"Gays getting married? what's next - lads marrying donkeys and sheep and all, wha, haha wha"

Now it's a no go.

Right but blacking-up is genuinely different. There's a long history of blaxking-up explicitly to mock black people and act out belittling stereotypes of black people for the entertainment of white people. That carries baggage. But a black person straightening their hair carries no such history of mockery or humiliation so they're not really comparable

Have there been many posters in this thread who have fully supported the idea that Adele did a terrible thing by wearing Bantu style hair?

Right bit backing up is genuinely different. There's a long history of backing explicitly to mock black people and act out belittling stereotypes of black people for the entertainment of white people. That carries baggage. But a black person straightening their hair carries no such history of mockery or humiliation so they're not really comparable

Have there been many posters in this thread who have fully supported the idea that Adele did a terrible thing by wearing Bantu style hair?

I'm not sure anyone other than a handful of permaraged yanks said anything about it. the ever classy media just decided to go with it as they knew it would be polarising as fuck.

Right bit backing up is genuinely different. There's a long history of backing explicitly to mock black people and act out belittling stereotypes of black people for the entertainment of white people. That carries baggage. But a black person straightening their hair carries no such history of mockery or humiliation so they're not really comparable

1. It wasn't really ever an issue in Ireland.

2. Context. Unless someone is dressing up as a black person to mock them, why shouldn't people be allowed?

What's worse? A person blacking up their skin to look like BA or someone dressing up as a leprechaun going around as a "drunk Paddy"?

It's the same thing with "the N word". Whenever the word is used in news/online etc it's always "the N word". Why? You don't hear anyone call it the "F word" when referring to a gay slur.

And yet the rappers use "the N word" in their songs and call each other that anyways.

• Advertisement

It's funny reading posts like the above and then reading columns and pieces from periods of history like - the buildup to women getting the vote and watching the scared men froth at the mouth over something that doesn't and will never even affect them in the slightest.

Tell me this, during the buildup to they gay marriage referendum - was this one of your tropes?

"Gays getting married? what's next - lads marrying donkeys and sheep and all, wha, haha wha"

Miles off? How?

I'm not sure anyone other than a handful of permaraged yanks said anything about it. the ever classy media just decided to go with it as they knew it would be polarising as fuck.

Yeah the permanently outraged on boards are filling their boots with outrage on this topic. They don't even need anyone to voice support for the idea, they can create fear of the opposition even though the evidence says they opposition are completely absent (apart from a few people on twitter).

If someone wants to be outraged and scared, they don't need any actual enemy to be outraged by. A few people on twitter with an opinion that they (and everyone else) disagrees with has been enough to cause them to soil themselves.

Miles off? How?

Your quoted post above effectively asserts that all disabilities are visible, they aren't, it's a really poor take and one that has caused massive stress and discomfort to people accosted by gormless egits - in your own words "fucking the head off them" in the wrong.

Yeah the permanently outraged on boards are filling their boots with outrage on this topic. They don't even need anyone to voice support for the idea, they can create fear of the opposition even though the evidence says they opposition are completely absent (apart from a few people on twitter).

If someone wants to be outraged and scared, they don't need any actual enemy to be outraged by. A few people on twitter with an opinion that they (and everyone else) disagrees with has been enough to cause them to soil themselves.

Yeah, the place is dripping outrage, but they're both fuelled and outraged by their own outrage it seems - wonder if you could harness the energy off it - perpetual motion and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

“You’ll have sheep marrying goats next” I said to a friend of mine... “ewe got to be kidding me” was their reply.

2. Context. Unless someone is dressing up as a black person to mock them, why shouldn't people be allowed?

What's worse? A person blacking up their skin to look like BA or someone dressing up as a leprechaun going around as a "drunk Paddy"?

It's the same thing with "the N word". Whenever the word is used in news/online etc it's always "the N word". Why? You don't hear anyone call it the "F word" when referring to a gay slur.

And yet the rappers use "the N word" in their songs and call each other that anyways.

The context of blacking-up is pretty well understood in our culture anyway. If you want to plead ignorance to it then go ahead but I wouldn't believe you. We can't change the context and we're not responsible for it. Bit it exists none the less. Maybe you're such a crusader for social justice that you'll black-up as a sign of how in tune you are with black people. But in reality, a bit of cop on is all that's needed.

If you want to be upset by people dressings as leprechauns, go ahead. I understand the original minstrel shown had Irish characters which mocked Irish people too. I'm not personally outraged by people doing green-face, if you will, as I don't think there's any particular anti-irish discrimination in the world today (not beyond the normal level of, unfortunate but probably inevitable, xenophobia).

So a similar cultural context and legasy doesn't apply as the discrimination against Irish people of the past doesn't exist anymore. If discrimination against black people didn't exist anymore either, then there likely wouldn't be a problem with blacking-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

who knew Adele had a tasty pair?! Who cares about her (temporary)hairstyle,when she's tidied up her body? Good woman. Ignore the haters (via the comfort of your hard earned millions)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Anyone who uses the term cultural appropriation in earnest is a moron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Adele's just said **** the haters and doubled down on her cultural appropriation

She allegedly commented during the Verzuz Instagram Live broadcast with Brandy and Monica appearing to take the accusations in good spirits.

A screenshot is doing the rounds with Adele's name and image saying: 'Wah Gwaan! Yow gyal, yuh look good enuh.'

The Jamaican term roughly translates to what's up?, you look good girl in English

That's Brandy and Monica of 'The Boy is Mine' fame, I presume

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think these kinds of mini-controversies actually provide a useful service - and not for the ones that create them.

Most right thinking people think all these wokish issues are by and large completely ridiculous if not completely insane.

So, the effect of this is that if these people are serious, then how can you take them seriously about anything at all including less nutty sounding complaints. I don't deny that there are racial issues for the BAME community but my felling of late is that even the less nutty complaints like for example 'stop and search' in England, black ppl being disproportionately stopped in black areas, is completely overblown in terms of it's actual level of seriousness.

So what I'm saying is all of this paints of picture of a mixed demographic of white and black antagonist, who are intent on stirring up division for the sake of it, or if they are actually serious, you can't take them seriously about anything at all. And they should frankly be ridiculed and dismissed.

If the internet has taught me anything over the last few years, it's that anyone who uses phrases like "woke", "cuck" or "simp" are best ignored. Thanks for doing me the favour of using one such phrase in your actual username.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

AllForIt wrote: »

Most right thinking people think all these wokish issues are by and large completely ridiculous if not completely insane.

So, the effect of this is that if these people are serious, then how can you take them seriously about anything at all including less nutty sounding complaints. I don't deny that there are racial issues for the BAME community but my felling of late is that even the less nutty complaints like for example 'stop and search' in England, black ppl being disproportionately stopped in black areas, is completely overblown in terms of it's actual level of seriousness.

It's says quite a lot if you are struggling to stop generalising to the point where you can't determine the difference between celebrity gossip outrage bs and the widely known institutional racism that definitely does exist in some UK police forces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 genius200iq

The left are insane
    Don't partake in culture=non-inclusive=Racist
    Engages in culture=appropriation=Racist
    Just live your life and ignore the left lunatics
    You want to put your hair in bantu knots, do it
    Black folk don't think twice about going blonde

AllForIt wrote: »
    I think these kinds of mini-controversies actually provide a useful service - and not for the ones that create them.

Sure, but this was a story written specifically for the peope who want to get upset about it and write-off the whole notion of BLM or any issues facing minorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I don't believe anyone in their right mind has an issue with what Adele did with her hair/wore as a bikini. The term cultural appropriation is a load of bollox. Left/right doesn't even come into it.

Found it extremely difficult to find anyone other than some very militant Americans actually giving out about this. That shithole isn't the centre of the world, it's certainly not an example to follow - for anything.

And those Americans don’t understand the context. Nothing exists to them outside of the USA.

The left are insane

This has nothing to do with "the left". This is a few people on twitter. Has anyone offered full support for the cultural appropriation idea in this thread? I have heard discussions about this involving people who are pretty left leaning and I haven't heard a single person agrew with the few people on twitter.

So you might like to pretend "the left" are in agreement with the few people on twitter, but that's just not true. Look at the actual evidence in front of you (this thread and any other discussions around the topic) instead of relying on your instinctual outrage.

The left are insane

I've asked this question a few times, no one seems to be able to answer - but what have "the left" got to do with it?

This bs is representative of everyone to the left of centre political spectrum now, is that it?
    Do we really need to trot out the same two sided bs every time something like this comes up? Is that how people really see the world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

kenmm wrote: »
    It's says quite a lot if you are struggling to stop generalising to the point where you can't determine the difference between celebrity gossip outrage bs and the widely known institutional racism that definitely does exist in some UK police forces.

If you want to highlight institutional racism then highlight institutional racism.

Don't use cultural appropriation to prove racism, which is to infer that 'racism is everywhere', that it's endemic in all white ppl's subconscious thoughts.

You won't win anyone over with that kind of argument. It's just get's ppl's backs up. It's funny how it's not okay to generalise about black people but when it comes to white people it's okay to generalise in respect of racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

This is most upsetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 genius200iq

kenmm wrote: »
    I've asked this question a few times, no one seems to be able to answer - but what have "the left" got to do with it?

This bs is representative of everyone to the left of centre political spectrum now, is that it?
    Do we really need to trot out the same two sided bs every time something like this comes up? Is that how people really see the world?

Its how the left see the world.
    Anything associated with black culture and a white person does it, bad,
    Anything associated with white culture and a black person does it, empowering.

Show me a few examples of the woke left criticising a black person Cultural appropriating white culture.
    I wont hold my breath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I preferred Adele when she was fat..

I wonder where she appropriated that from?

Its how the left see the world.
    Anything associated with black culture and a white person does it, bad,
    Anything associated with white culture and a black person does it, empowering.

Show me a few examples of the woke left criticising a black person Cultural appropriating white culture.
    I wont hold my breath
    Gibberish.

It's not answering either. What's it git to do with the left?

You won't find it because the majority of all people are not running about screaming this nonsense in either direction, except in a few explicit cases (black/yellow face, and other actual issues).

• Advertisement
Advertisement