Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adele accused of 'Cultural Appropriation'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Its how the left see the world.
    Anything associated with black culture and a white person does it, bad,
    Anything associated with white culture and a black person does it, empowering.

Show me a few examples of the woke left criticising a black person Cultural appropriating white culture.
    I wont hold my breath

I find the term cultural appropriation offensive, I use aggressive diversity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Also, what is this obsession people have with the word woke? It comes across as an attempt belittle a group of people and as a result it just makes your post look like it was written by a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

kenmm wrote: »
    Also, what is this obsession people have with the word woke? It comes across as an attempt belittle a group of people and as a result it just makes your post look like it was written by a child.

Well, it's not the word Woke per se, it's the ppl who are woke that give rise to all these discussions. That's like saying what's ones's obsession with the term 'right wing', it's just words.

I don't see anything wrong with belittling people if the arguments they make are absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 genius200iq

Gibberish.

It's not answering either. What's it git to do with the left?

You won't find it because the majority of all people are not running about screaming this nonsense in either direction, except in a few explicit cases (black/yellow face, and other actual issues).

You just proved my point, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Its how the left see the world.

No it isn't.

It's gobshites on Twitter looking for a few moments of attention and getting the easily triggered like yourself all riled up.

This is very simple.

Tony EH wrote: »
    No it isn't.

It's gobshites on Twitter looking for a few moments of attention and getting the easily triggered like yourself all riled up.

This is very simple.

And these gobshîtes are are always on the left side of the political spectrum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Adele was already onto something nefarious by appropriating a fatty attitude before she lost weight. It was all a sham; big girl: big voice. I lost all respect when I saw she had morphed into a mousy little iteration of a curvy, cute singer. What a shame.

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Adele was already onto something nefarious by appropriating a fatty attitude before she lost weight. It was all a sham; big girl: big voice. I lost all respect when I saw she had morphed into a mousy little iteration of a curvy, cute singer. What a shame.

Fat bird Cultural appropriation the thin girl life style, she has abandoned her roots as a big girl, a sell out.

Show me a few examples of the woke left criticising a black person Cultural appropriating white culture.
    Should be easy, all us white folk are white supremacists, Trump supporting Nazis, surely they would be up in arms about this Cultural appropriating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

`cultural misappropriation? Does that mean that every black woman who uses hair relaxers to get straight hair is misappropriating white culture?

The white Croatians gave us the necktie, why no outrage when a Asian or African wears a necktie?

If the left is going to go in on Cultural appropriation they must be consistant with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Fat bird Cultural appropriation the thin girl life style, she has abandoned her roots as a big girl, a sell out.

Zactly. She used ta hava bubba butt like Jabba the Hutt but no mo'. And now she flauntin' huh skinny bones, wuzzup. Cain't do dat widdout no day.of reckonin', ass' whad I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

And these gobshîtes are are always on the left side of the political spectrum

Shure the lefties are gone mad altogether, drinking Champagne and all now.

You just proved my point, thanks.

Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Why is nobody talking about the racist who did her hair for her?
    I want them dragged out into the street and put in the stocks immediately :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Gibberish.

It's not answering either. What's it git to do with the left?

You won't find it because the majority of all people are not running about screaming this nonsense in either direction, except in a few explicit cases (black/yellow face, and other actual issues).

It's hardly some theory the lad has plucked from nowhere. This is a discourse at University level. Left/liberal/progressive etc. Its hardly made up now is it? Alot of it of course comes from the US, yet the US is still the hegemonic power, mostly culturally, in our World.

AS a centrist i can't understand why everything has to be so black and white but it is and you asking this question over and over is just denial.

The left has a long history of division. In Dublinthe left's conundrum can be easily seen in planning laws etc. Scream about housing but protest developments. The left is full of contradiction, and it ties itself up in knots trying to be progressive, inclusive and liberal. This leads to problems when you get the recent shooting case in America. Is it BLM or metoo? By trying to appeal to both they are trying to believe in Unicorns, hence why centrists make the most sense. Parts of each side can be good. and thats mainly what we have in Ireland - I mean FF (the shower of thicks) are more left than many here would have you believe.

so yes unfortunately alot of this is driven by the left. No matter what you think. And its fanned by the people to the right of centre as well. Both are driving the narrative. and i find it exhausting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

You say that like these people shouldn't be belittled and mocked?

They absolutely should. Only in an insane world would these people be taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The white Croatians gave us the necktie, why no outrage when a Asian or African wears a necktie?

If the left is going to go in on Cultural appropriation they must be consistant with it.
    I'm outraged that anybody has to wear a tie.

Those pesky Croatians!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

AllForIt wrote: »
    Well, it's not the word Woke per se, it's the ppl who are woke that give rise to all these discussions....

This entire thread has been populated by people who disagree with the few people on twitter. This thread has needed a very small number of people who actually think Adele did something wrong and then loads of people who think they're under siege from hoards of woke lefties.

This isn't a thread for lefties. It's a thread for people who are terrified of the left in the complete absence of the thing they're terrified of.

conorhal wrote: »
    You say that like these people shouldn't be belittled and mocked?

They absolutely should. Only in an insane world would these people be taken seriously.

They should, but not "the left", that's my point.

These loons may be left leaning in some of their views, but it doesn't mean the entire left should be lumped in with the loons.

Same when it comes to associating anyone who is just a bit conservative with racism and the far right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

They should, but not "the left", that's my point.

These loons may be left leaning in some of their views, but it doesn't mean the entire left should be lumped in with the loons.

Same when it comes to associating anyone who is just a bit conservative with racism and the far right.

That also assumes that there are no left leaning racists in the world.

That also assumes that there are no left leaning racists in the world.

Yeah. Gawd, it's almost as if generalising this stuff to everyone who identifies as left of centre, is a load of lazy bollocks.

I just realised our alphabet originated in Greece.
    That's it, people! No more reading or writing unless you are Greek.

These little jokes have to run out at some point. If it's gone to the point that you have to imagine people making points that you don't agree with, then it shows that there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

Some posters even think there are loads of people who agree that Adele did something wrong. In reality there's just a thread full of people who can't find a single person who actually makes the point they don't like. So they're reduced to inventing arguments for those people.

This thread must beade up of at least 10% with these posts imagining something to be upset about. Bit sad to see, really.

These little jokes have to run out at some point. If it's gone to the point that you have to imagine people making points that you don't agree with, then it shows that there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

Some posters even think there are loads of people who agree that Adele did something wrong. In reality there's just a thread full of people who can't find a single person who actually makes the point they don't like. So they're reduced to inventing arguments for those people.

This thread must beade up of at least 10% with these posts imagining something to be upset about. Bit sad to see, really.
    I got a million of em Dude :p

I got a million of em Dude :p

Any good ones?

Any good ones?
    Oh yes : english, originally derived from a germanic language. Are you german Dude? If not stop speaking.

Along those lines, I think it's gas that 56% of Americans don't want Arabic numerals taught in school.

Oh yes : english, originally derived from a germanic language. Are you german Dude? If not stop speaking.

Oh yeah. That's a good one. Only problem is it's exactly the same as all the other ones.

Does it tell you something about the size of the opposition group when you have to pretend to make their arguments for them because there aren't any in the whole thread?

NSAman wrote: »
    `cultural misappropriation? Does that mean that every black woman who uses hair relaxers to get straight hair is misappropriating white culture?

Don't be stupid. Racism is a one-way street. Black people cannot be racist. White people can never be victims of racism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

More woke bullshiz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Which begs the question, If it's such a non-issue that only irritates a tiny, tiny amount of cranks then why is our national broadcaster reporting on it?

And not in the way it does on other wingnuts either. The article frames the issue as if there are two equally valid sides to the argument, quoting the critical comments in full, in a way that it thankfully does not when reporting on right-wing nutjobs.

This stuff does not emerge from a vacuum. People can see that this type of nonsense is being pumped into public debate with support from parts of the media establishment. And they have every right to question and criticise this.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Which begs the question, If it's such a non-issue that only irritates a tiny, tiny amount of cranks then why is our national broadcaster reporting on it?

And not in the way it does on other wingnuts either. The article frames the issue as if there are two equally valid sides to the argument, quoting the critical comments in full, in a way that it thankfully does not when reporting on right-wing nutjobs.

People can see that this type of nonsense is being pumped into public debate with support from parts of the media establishment. And they have every right to question and criticise this.

They show it because it's good old celebrity gossip clickbait. Look at the reaction this stuff gets, gotta pay the bills.

The have views from 'both' sides because they are bound by law to give balance, which I think in this case is bs because it is a minority view.

Edit: re your last point. I don't think there is a conspiracy here, more just lazy/crappy reporting masquerading as journalism.

They show it because it's good old celebrity gossip clickbait. Look at the reaction this stuff gets, gotta pay the bills.

The have views from 'both' sides because they are bound by law to give balance, which I think in this case is bs because it is a minority view.

Edit: re your last point. I don't think there is a conspiracy here, more just lazy/crappy reporting masquerading as journalism.

Sorry, you genuinely believe that RTE was required by law to quote an unidentified person on Twitter saying this?

"If you haven't quite understood cultural appropriation, look at @Adele's last Instagram post. She should go to jail no parole for this."

I don't believe that you're being serious.

This story hasn't just irritated a tiny, tiny number of cranks. It interested loads if cranks - but on the other side. There are so many irritated cranks in this thread alone, that they have had to resort to imagining people making arguments about cultural appropriation because there is nobody here to make the argument for the other side.

RTE covered it because it was already making news, which is fair enough. But I wonder if the cranks getting upset about the story, actually read the story. All it actually said was a few people on twitter thought it was cultural appropriation. And from there, the cranks seem to have convinced themselves that they're under siege from the dreaded left. That stuff all seems to have taken place in their heads.

This story hasn't just irritated a tiny, tiny number of cranks. It interested loads if cranks - but on the other side. There are so many irritated cranks in this thread alone, that they have had to resort to imagining people making arguments about cultural appropriation because there is nobody here to make the argument for the other side.

RTE covered it because it was already making news, which is fair enough. But I wonder if the cranks getting upset about the story, actually read the story. All it actually said was a few people on twitter thought it was cultural appropriation. And from there, the cranks seem to have convinced themselves that they're under siege from the dreaded left. That stuff all seems to have taken place in their heads.

Having tried to make sense of what you're saying here, my conclusion is that the only person imagining other people's arguments in their own head is you. Everyone else was just commenting on a story published by the National Broadcaster.

If this stuff was happening in a vacuum, I'd tend to agree. But it isn't and many of us were predicting all of this a very long time ago and we've seen all of the outrage and cancel culture develop and become a real problem.

It's pretty lazy to just label people as cranks because they care about a growing issue.

Having tried to make sense of what you're saying here, my conclusion is that the only person imagining other people's arguments in their own head is you. Everyone else was just commenting on a story published by the National Broadcaster.
    I'm referring to the dozens of posts exactly like this one...

That's an example of people having to make up arguments about cultural appropriation because there's absolutely nobody in this thread who's actually making that argument in earnest.

Honest question: had you even noticed that nobody in this whole thread has actually supported the cultural appropriation idea?

Sorry, you genuinely believe that RTE was required by law to quote an unidentified person on Twitter saying this?

"If you haven't quite understood cultural appropriation, look at @Adele's last Instagram post. She should go to jail no parole for this."

I don't believe that you're being serious.

Generally, yes, RTE have to show balance. I'm not going to further detail the thread, there is a cancel RTE thread with all these arguments back and forward.

Regardless, this shi*e exists because it obviously generates page views and therefore revenue.

• Advertisement

Generally, yes, RTE have to show balance. I'm not going to further detail the thread, there is a cancel RTE thread with all these arguments back and forward.

Regardless, this shi*e exists because it obviously generates page views and therefore revenue.

Given the volume of discussion this topic has caused, it would be mental for rte to ignore it

That's an example of people having to make up arguments about cultural appropriation because there's absolutely nobody in this thread who's actually making that argument in earnest.

That's called humour, specifically reductio ad absurdem for satirical effect. It's a form of argument appropriated from Greek Philosophy.

I would say I'm surprised you couldn't see that but actually I'd say you knew well what it was.

That's called humour, specifically reductio ad absurdem for satirical effect. It's a form of argument appropriated from Greek Philosophy.

I would say I'm surprised you couldn't see that but actually I'd say you knew well what it was.

Sure. And that has gone on and on and on. Doesn't it say something about the size and popularity of the opposition that there are absolutely none of them in this entire thread? All that's left is cranks pretending to make arguments to wind themselves up.

Sure. And that has gone on and on and on. Doesn't it say something about the size and popularity of the opposition that there are absolutely none of them in this entire thread? All that's left is cranks pretending to make arguments to wind themselves up.

And yet here you are. Not attemping to defend the indefensible, but instead criticising any comment on the issue. It's a sadly common and transparent tactic to shut down discussions you can't win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The left are insane
    Don't partake in culture=non-inclusive=Racist
    Engages in culture=appropriation=Racist
    Just live your life and ignore the left lunatics
    You want to put your hair in bantu knots, do it
    Black folk don't think twice about going blonde

Dividing the world into three cultures is madness but dividing all political thought into two camps where one group whines about racism and the other group is planning to have another go at clearing out all the Jews works?
    It's almost like neither system works because life is more complicated than that. The Left-right political spectrum is BS.

I'm with Duderino on this, people outraged by this are thin on the ground, the story is for people outraged because they think a load of other people are outraged and not just a scattering of eejits on the internet.

And yet here you are. Not attemping to defend the indefensible, but instead criticising any comment on the issue. It's a sadly common and transparent tactic to shut down discussions you can't win.

I've no intention to defend the few people on twitter who thought Adele did something wrong. I don't agree with them.

The desire to make it seem like these few people on twitter are huge, numerous and scary, is interesting to watch though.

• Advertisement

You are fighting shadows here.. no one is attempting to 'defend the indefensible' because generally, across all political divisions (or however else you segregate people), people think this is a daft news story. There is far more outrage at the outrage lol

I've no intention to defend the few people on twitter who thought Adele did something wrong. I don't agree with them.

The desire to make it seem like these few people on twitter are huge, numerous and scar, is interesting to watch though.

Which, with perfectly circular logic, returns to my original question to you.
    Which you didn't answer, except with some weird abusive word-salad.
    And which you're mate KenM tried to answer by saying RTE was legally obliged to quote wingnut Twitter accounts.

Honestly, this feels more like running a Turing test on a chatbot locked in "troll" setting, than debating with real human beings.

And which you're mate KenM tried to answer by saying RTE was legally obliged to quote wingnut Twitter accounts.

Honestly, this feels more like running a Turing test on a chatbot locked in "troll" setting, than debating with real human beings.

What's your question? Is it about why RTE covered the story at all?

And you are getting closer and closer to acting like a real human!

I simply pointed out that RTE obliged to show balance. That in turn leads to quoting every crackpot on different sides of an argument for balance. I think that's a problem. You seem to have taken offense to that and/or almost deliberately misinterpreted the comment.

adele - ok

accused of - by whom? nobody of any actual relevance? who cares

of cultural appropriation- oh **** off

that's the breakdown.

absolutely unworthy of a thread on an irish (or any other) board tbh

• Advertisement
Advertisement