Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adele accused of 'Cultural Appropriation'

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

adele - ok

accused of - by whom? nobody of any actual relevance? who cares

of cultural appropriation- oh **** off

that's the breakdown.

absolutely unworthy of a thread on an irish (or any other) board tbh

This is it. It's purely a topic created to help people who want to be outraged and terrified of the dreaded left, to be outraged and terrified. A few people on twitter has led to an antire thread about it and has these posters sh1tting themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Wibbs wrote: »
    This kinda thing?

Sjw+hair_df9c4d_5843518.jpg

Weren't they in the Eurovision one year with their sister?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Which begs the question, If it's such a non-issue that only irritates a tiny, tiny amount of cranks then why is our national broadcaster reporting on it?

And not in the way it does on other wingnuts either. The article frames the issue as if there are two equally valid sides to the argument, quoting the critical comments in full, in a way that it thankfully does not when reporting on right-wing nutjobs.

This stuff does not emerge from a vacuum. People can see that this type of nonsense is being pumped into public debate with support from parts of the media establishment. And they have every right to question and criticise this.

Indeed, look at how salty people are about 'criticism of the left' and shouting 'nothing to see here it’s just a couple of loonies!'

They're embarrassed that the woke extremists have once again shone a light on the logical absurdity of identity politics and intersectional feminism, which is the ideology at the root of this nonsense, and is very broadly supported by the majority of the left.
    The 'woke' have merely showed how little clothes the emperor is wearing, and that makes them nervous that people will start questioning the other stuff that the empror has proclaimed.
    This crap is merely the logical conclusion of ‘progressive’ ideology and they don’t want a light shone on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

I don't get when people say "what do you mean leftwing?" They know full well what's meant - I know it's not always ideal when political views get labelled but for the sake of convenience sometimes "leftwing" and "rightwing" are the shorthand terms used.

Anyway, I used to be very leftwing - still am to the left on plenty of issues but I don't think I would ever have agreed with things as they are now from the identity politics mob. Totally absurd.

conorhal wrote: »
    Indeed, look at how salty people are about 'criticism of the left' and shouting 'nothing to see here it’s just a couple of loonies!'

They're embarrassed that the woke extremists have once again shone a light on the logical absurdity of identity politics and intersectional feminism, which is the ideology at the root of this nonsense, and is very broadly supported by the majority of the left.
    The 'woke' have merely showed how little clothes the emperor is wearing, and that makes them nervous that people will start questioning the other stuff that the empror has proclaimed.
    This crap is merely the logical conclusion of ‘progressive’ ideology and they don’t want a light shone on it.

This was the entire point of the article. It's gives people a story they can use to generalise to the entire "left" and dismiss the entire lot as of they were an actual group.

This wasn't a story for lefties, it was a story for people who want to dismiss anything they don't like as leftist nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

And these gobshîtes are are always on the left side of the political spectrum

You have no idea what side of the political spectrum they're on. You have an image in your head, but that's all.

Just because some ejit on Twitter is spouting gibberish about "cultural appropriation" and whatnot, it doesn't mean they know anything at all about any left wing principles.

It just means they are jumping on a bandwagon that's the current zeitgeist, before they move onto the next one in an effort to draw some attention to themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I don't get when people say "what do you mean leftwing?" They know full well what's meant - I know it's not always ideal when political views get labelled but for the sake of convenience sometimes "leftwing" and "rightwing" are the shorthand terms used.

Anyway, I used to be very leftwing - still am to the left on plenty of issues but I don't think I would ever have agreed with things as they are now from the identity politics mob. Totally absurd.

It's the implication that these daft Twitter posts are representative of the entire left. Also having only two sides these days is annoying as Fu(k.

Similarly, I'm sure not all right wingers enjoy being called racists, and heck, there me even be some left wing racist as well!

Criticise the left all you want, but political leanings of randomers on twitter has got little to do with it.
    No matter how many words you use try and tie it all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I've just heard back from the Cultural Appropriation Board.
    El Duderino 09, unless you are Spanish please turn in your username at once. You can keep the 09 but only if you are of Sumerian descent. :pac:

El Duderino 09, unless you are Spanish please turn in your username at once. You can keep the 09 but only if you are of Sumerian descent. :pac:

You better be purple and made from earths 49th most abundant metal :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I think we're at the precipice of a time when people will start responding with fcuk off when accused of these non transgressions. There's only so much outrageous libby nonsense that people will swallow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

This is what I don't understand. You have different cultures relocate to another country as myself. There is some parts of our lives we want to hold on to while adopting certain lifestyles in our new country. Speaking for myself now, I keep my own culture to myself and my home, while I assimilate and adopt some cultures here to fit it better. So would that be considered cultural appropriation on my part?

I think society has run out of things to be angry about so they just target small things. Then throw it up on social media where they know there are like minded people, to get a following. And then some newspaper or news station picks it up and that is where it goes out of control. I love sharing cultures mine and yours and never think either of us is infringing on the other. It is just sharing knowledge of different cultures and places. There should never be anything wrong with that, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Read: First page - People agreeing it's absolute bollocks of the highest order
    Read: Current last page (18 on desktop) - It's about politics

I'm out! But, yeah, load of bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Left wing has become a catch all term for young righteous rich tosspot young adults.

I couldn't bring myself to vote left in the last election, first time ever.

Can't stand holy Joe's preaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

This was the entire point of the article. It's gives people a story they can use to generalise to the entire "left" and dismiss the entire lot as of they were an actual group.

This wasn't a story for lefties, it was a story for people who want to dismiss anything they don't like as leftist nonsense.

The general Left, the good Left, the normal Left, aren't known for coming out and condemning the more aberrant Left's Wokish ideas.

For example, have you rubbished this Adele cultural appropriation thing in this thread?

But that's exactly the same as the last one - and all the others.

I think society has run out of things to be angry about so they just target small things. Then throw it up on social media where they know there are like minded people, to get a following. And then some newspaper or news station picks it up and that is where it goes out of control...

Society didn't get angry about cultural appropriation. A few people on twitter accused Adele of doing something wrong and I'm yet to see anyone agree with those few people. I wouldn't be so quick to call those few people "society".

On the other hand, loads of people have gotten angry and scared in response to those few people on twitter.

AllForIt wrote: »
    The general Left, the good Left, the normal Left, aren't known for coming out and condemning the more aberrant Left's Wokish ideas.

For example, have you rubbished this Adele cultural appropriation thing in this thread?

First of all, i don't speak for anyone else.

And the answer to your question is: yes. Since that answer is contrary to the view you just expressed, how does that new information change your view? (Hint: I don't suppose it has changed your view at all in spite of it directly contradicting your view)

Read: First page - People agreeing it's absolute bollocks of the highest order
    Read: Current last page (18 on desktop) - It's about politics

I'm out! But, yeah, load of bollocks.

Ah but everyone on here agreeing that is ridiculous is an echo chamber so therefore people claiming cultural appropriation doesn't exist in real life and it's all a ruse to make people scared apparently.

There are indeed arseholes who believe that cultural appropriation is a problem, this thread was created to discuss how silly it was and highlighted a story on rte/BBC etc which talked about it.

The fact that most people here (almost all) laughed and joked about how silly it was means that we are all scared and being manipulated.

Thankfully we had one or two to tell us that we are idiots for thinking it's stupid (although they also admit that they think it's stupid)

Bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

First of all, i don't speak for anyone else.

And the answer to your question is: yes. Since that answer is contrary to the view you just expressed, how does that new information change your view? (Hint: I don't suppose it has changed your view at all in spite of it directly contradicting your view)

No, I asked, you answered. I'm not going to go looking for evidence. Fair enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Chudwick Boseman

Aren't whites a minority in London? She can't be really appropriating anything if she's in the minority.

Aren't whites a minority in London?

No, not at all.

Is she giving off a scary doll type vibe to anyone else?

kenmm wrote: »
    No, not at all.

I think I read somewhere that there are more non white native Britons in London but they still held the largest percentage of the population as a group.

I think that's what the poster meant.

(The thumbs down emoji was added to my post by mistake)

I think I read somewhere that there are more non white native Britons in London but they still held the largest percentage of the population as a group.

I think that's what the poster meant.

(The thumbs down emoji was added to my post by mistake)

More non white native Britons vs White native Britons?

Either way, the poster should clarify what he means, because it could be interpreted as inciteful otherwise.

The official stats go back 9 years as the census is only about to be taken (next year) so hard to get the exact number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Aren't whites a minority in London? She can't be really appropriating anything if she's in the minority.

I think it depends on whether you're counting city only or city and suburbs.

What I live about the accusations us that they always come from white people, only for people from the actual cultural background show up and support said "appropriation".

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ah but everyone on here agreeing that is ridiculous is an echo chamber so therefore people claiming cultural appropriation doesn't exist in real life and it's all a ruse to make people scared apparently.

Well, you're nearly right. We know a few people on twitter thought Adele did something wrong. So there are definitely a few people in the wild with that opinion. And this thread has offered anyone who agrees with those few people on twitter, to say so. But there haven't been any posters on boards who agree with them. And in all the discussions I've heard on radio, print and everyday life, I haven't heard anyone say they agree Adele did anything wrong.

But still some people think this is representative of "the left". There's no accounting for how some chose to frighten thmselves. Would you believe some posters even said this idea of cultural appropriation is becoming the norm? In spite of there only being a few people on twitter vs everyone else, they are they're in the minority. Lol.

AllForIt wrote: »
    No, I asked, you answered. I'm not going to go looking for evidence. Fair enough.

So what difference does it make to your opinion? Like, why did you ask if the answer couldn't impact your opinion?

Well, you're nearly right. We know a few people on twitter thought Adele did something wrong. So there are definitely a few people in the wild with that opinion. And this thread has offered anyone who agrees with those few people on twitter, to say so. But there haven't been any posters on boards who agree with them. And in all the discussions I've heard on radio, print and everyday life, I haven't heard anyone say they agree Adele did anything wrong.

But still some people think this is representative of "the left". There's no accounting for how some chose to frighten thmselves. Would you believe some posters even said this idea of cultural appropriation is becoming the norm? In spite of there only being a few people on twitter vs everyone else, they are they're in the minority. Lol.

I would agree to an extent. While I agree it isn't representative of the left in its entirety, I think it is very representative of the modern vocal far left, especially on social media.

And perhaps you aren't aware of it's prevalence and good for you, but I assure you that it isn't just a handful of lunatics. There is a sizeable amount of people on social media who share these opinions, and pushback against idiocy like this often gets you branded far right.

This is why I assume people now label idiots like this as left.

It's just a case of incorrectly labeling people who disagree with you as politically different ideologically, it's not new and it's certainly not any different to people being labelled far right or nazi racists for disagreeing.

I would agree to an extent. While I agree it isn't representative of the left in its entirety, I think it is very representative of the modern vocal far left, especially on social media.

And perhaps you aren't aware of it's prevalence and good for you, but I assure you that it isn't just a handful of lunatics. There is a sizeable amount of people on social media who share these opinions, and pushback against idiocy like this often gets you branded far right.

We know there are a few people on twitter with that opinion. We know nobody on the whole of Boards.ie has expressed support for the idea. And in all the discussions I've seen or heard, nobody has agreed with these few people on twitter. I think that's about it.

Generalising from a few peope on twitter to a whole load of people, in spite of the evidence to the contrary, is interesting. Shows that'd some people want to use any excuse to dismiss anything tjey see as "left". But that was the point of the article. It was fodder for those who want to dismiss the dreaded left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

We know there are a few people on twitter with that opinion. We know nobody on the whole of Boards.ie has expressed support for the idea. And in all the discussions I've seen or heard, nobody has agreed with these few people on twitter. I think that's about it.

Generalising from a few peope on twitter to a whole load of people, in spite of the evidence to the contrary, is interesting. Shows that'd some people want to use any excuse to dismiss anything tjey see as "left". But that was the point of the article. It was fodder for those who want to dismiss the dreaded left.

Absolutely - just wander into a thransgnder thread when you're bored...!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

The thread was to discuss how ridiculous these people who called this cultural appropriation are. For some reason you somewhat confrontationally interjected, even though you agree with the premise they are ridiculous.

You may not see it as widespread and on here, you are correct; nobody has supported it. That doesn't mean that there isn't a ridiculous left who are disproportionately vocal and visible on traditional media and on social media. It was those "lefties" that deserve scorn. You may think it's unfair that the word left is used but it happens all the time and not unique to that side of the divide.

The thread was to discuss how ridiculous these people who called this cultural appropriation are. For some reason you somewhat confrontationally interjected, even though you agree with the premise they are ridiculous.

You may not see it as widespread and on here, you are correct; nobody has supported it. That doesn't mean that there isn't a ridiculous left who are disproportionately vocal and visible on traditional media and on social media. It was those "lefties" that deserve scorn. You may think it's unfair that the word left is used but it happens all the time and not unique to that side of the divide.

The thread turned out to be solely one sided in this issue. But that's because there's nobody on the whole of boards.ie who has expressed support for the other side of the discussion. The thread didn't exclude them, there just is hasn't been a single person who supported the idea that Adele did something wrong.

The notion that there's a big vocal section of society who agrees with this cultural appropriation idea, has been pretty well disproved by this event. But somehow, some people see this as evidence of a big scary vocal left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Identity politics is BS, no disagreement there, but I'm not embarrassed by them anymore than I'm embarrassed by white supremacists. They don't share my beliefs, I'm not one of them, and yet one is considered representative of left and the other right and I'm expected to pin my flag to one side or the other? **** that. Hence my Left-right political spectrum being bull**** claim.

The thread turned out to be solely one sided in this issue. But that's because there's nobody on the whole of boards.ie who has expressed support for the other side of the discussion. The thread didn't exclude them, there just is hasn't been a single person who supported the idea that Adele did something wrong.

The notion that there's a big vocal section of society who agrees with this cultural appropriation idea, has been pretty well disproved by this event. But somehow, some people see this as evidence of a big scary vocal left.

You are dismissing it as disproven by virtue of nobody on boards.ie agreeing with it, yet ignoring the not insignificant amount of support it has on twitter is quite amusing.

I have no idea with why you are so angry at people shouting down people who espouse such **** as idiotic left leaning idiots.

You agree.

I'm not saying that all leftists are idiots who believe in cultural appropriation, but all idiots that believe in cultural appropriation are, by and large, leftists (99.9% anyway)

You are dismissing it as disproven by virtue of nobody on boards.ie agreeing with it, yet ignoring the not insignificant amount of support it has on twitter is quite amusing.

I've been pretty careful to say that I've seen and heard nobody agree with the opinion on Boards.ie, on radio discussions, in real life or anywhere else.

I made a point of not just saying Boards.ie but somehow, that's all you remembered.

So on one side we have a few people on twitter. On the other side we have everyone I've seen or heard discuss the issue.

Somehow these few people on twitter have loads of posters really worried.

I've been pretty careful to say that I've seen and heard nobody agree with the opinion on Boards.ie, on radio discussions, in real life or anywhere else.

I made a point of not just saying Boards.ie but somehow, that's all you remembered.

So on one side we have a few people on twitter. On the other side we have everyone I've seen or heard discuss the issue.

Somehow these few people on twitter have loads of posters really worried.

Well then, lucky you. I've seen quite a few conversations, more than a mere few, on twitter and they have a startling amount of likes and retweets.

But it's mad that thousands upon thousands of tweets and retweets on twitter is "a few" when it backs up your story, yet literally tens of posts here are loads when it suits

(Now I know there's a lot more people on twitter than boards, but you do seem to fudge a few numbers there)

But of course, it's ok my dude. As you are self appointed protector of what the left ACTUALLY is, we acknowledge that you know much more about it and about social media etc and if you peronally haven't seen a quite large amount of loonies calling this cultural appropriation, it's all of us that are wrong.

I'm not saying that all leftists are idiots who believe in cultural appropriation, but all idiots that believe in cultural appropriation are, by and large, leftists (99.9% anyway)

Cultural appropriation being the idea that cultures are separate homogeneous blocks, identity politics. Plenty of group s who call themselves Right, Alt-Right or whatever that play that game. All the same thing, racism. Most people aren't all that racist in my experience, so they're not speaking for the majority.
    Unless you can tell me a large percentage of Twitter has been measured and the proportion supporting this is high I'm going to assume it's the usual loud mouths that are getting heard. Same goes for most of these news stories. There isn't a large number of anti-Semitic types hanging around here either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Young 2nd or 3rd generation immigrants are the only ones that get bent out of shape with this sort of stuff. Usually with a masters degree in socio-linguistics from Yale.

My favorite over the last few years was when a white teenager wore a 1930s Shanghai style qipao to her prom and posted it on social media. Certain Asian-Americans (though overwhelmingly over-educated middle class Chinese-American chicks with problematic Daria glasses) went to war with her for cultural appropriation / theft of POC cultural capital.

I showed the photo of the girl in the dress to a native Chinese woman; she thought the girl looked stunning and wore it well. Go figure.

The funny thing is, the qipao came from entrepôt cosmopolitan Shanghai, where popular Parisian and European fashion became fused with more traditional Chinese dresses. You'll have a hard time explaining that to Michelle Lau (who probably doesn't speak Canto / Mandarin) from Anaheim.

Yurt! wrote: »
    The funny thing is, the qipao came from entrepôt cosmopolitan Shanghai, where popular Parisian and European fashion became fused with more traditional Chinese dresses. You'll have a hard time explaining that to Michelle Lau (who probably doesn't speak Canto / Mandarin) from Anaheim.

That word is lost on anyone bent out of shape by this ****.

• Advertisement

I see stories of this black professor who is actually white.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/03/jessica-krug-white-professor-pretended-black

That's actual appropriation. Not just wearing some hairstyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

We are talking about this while ignoring the systematic racism in this world.. its only a f**king hairstyle for crying out loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Wibbs wrote: »
    This kinda thing?

Sjw+hair_df9c4d_5843518.jpg

https://twitter.com/tpatriot2020/status/1301280246285643776?s=21

Wibbs someone stole your joke on Twitter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Belgian lady that Katie taylor has fought a couple of times, Persoon. She has corn-rows hair.

Why aren't these twitter twits having a go at her.
    Probably because they are afraid of getting the head pucked off them or being arrested.

Well then, lucky you. I've seen quite a few conversations, more than a mere few, on twitter and they have a startling amount of likes and retweets.

But it's mad that thousands upon thousands of tweets and retweets on twitter is "a few" when it backs up your story, yet literally tens of posts here are loads when it suits

(Now I know there's a lot more people on twitter than boards, but you do seem to fudge a few numbers there)

But of course, it's ok my dude. As you are self appointed protector of what the left ACTUALLY is, we acknowledge that you know much more about it and about social media etc and if you peronally haven't seen a quite large amount of loonies calling this cultural appropriation, it's all of us that are wrong.

So you've no evidence of any people on the real world, radio or TV discussions or anyone on this thread agreeing that Adele did anything wrong. And on the other hand you have the few people on twitter who are backed up by some more people on twitter. So massively unbalanced and the people who agree Adele did something wrong could accurately be described as a fringe element on Twitter.

How have these people on twitter gotten so far into you head?

Advertisement