Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

credit card - new on line payments security

Options
  • 31-08-2020 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭

Hi there, just received the BOI advice booklet in the post about changes to current accounts etc, I have a credit card but not a current account with BOI so didn't think it was for me and binned it, later on though a friend told me there are changes to credit card payments etc. Something about requiring an app to process, that can't be the case, can it??? 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

Hi Bladespin,

Thanks for getting in touch with us today on Boards.ie.

We're sorry to hear you binned this document. We have attached a link here with more information on what this document was in relation to:

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/app/uploads/A-Guide-to-Fees-and-Service-changes-effective-from-23-November-2020.pdf

We hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

Ok, I've tried to make some sense of that, am I right in thinking the credit card will now require an app?

I can't install an app on my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

bladespin wrote: »
    Ok, I've tried to make some sense of that, am I right in thinking the credit card will now require an app?

I can't install an app on my phone.
    Hi bladespin, 

thanks for getting back to us here on Boards. We are introducing a new layer of security SCA for customers. What this means is you will no longer receive a One Time Security code when completing a payment using your Credit Card, Instead a push notification will be sent to your mobile device using the mobile app. 

However if you are not a current account holder it is not possible to view the credit card account on the mobile app and a physical security key will be required for these customers to complete a transaction. 

Not to worry though as we will be in touch to notify customers when these changes are coming into affect. 

We hope this helps and that you remain safe and well. 

Thanks Jen

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

A physical security key? Are we living in the stone age? 

Surely an app should be developed for credit card only users.

jimmy86 wrote: »

For me that's kind of better, I can't install an app like that on my phone so something external to it would suit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi jimmy86, 

thanks for getting in touch. Please be assured that we appreciate all feedback we receive from our customers and we will be sure to pass this on. 

Thanks Jen

For me that's kind of better, I can't install an app like that on my phone so something external to it would suit.
    Ah yeah it will suit some people for sure, but I assume you will have to carry it around with you if you are making online purchases when you're not at home.  

Ah yeah it will suit some people for sure, but I assume you will have to carry it around with you if you are making online purchases when you're not at home.  
    I wouldn't make too many purchases on-line away from home tbh and it'd only be a phone call away. Still a lot of hassle that's annoying me a bit, wonder if all card providers have this?

All banks will have to do this as far as I'm aware, it's to comply with PSD2. 

Advertisement