Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire destroys Co Galway house purchased by council for Traveller family

Options
  • 31-08-2020 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭

Full story here...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/fire-destroys-co-galway-house-purchased-by-council-for-traveller-family-1.4342767

I’m not sure what I’m more appalled by, the fact that a perfectly good house was burned down or the fact the local council shelled out FOUR HUNDRED AND THIRTY THOUSAND for a house for a traveller family.

It makes me sick to my stomach, I am scrimping and saving for 5 years to get a deposit together and these absolute leeches to society have this just given to them. So when I look at the deductions every month to my payslip I know where they’re going.

Disgusting disgusting country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

No surprise really.
    Neighbours in the vicinity of the house took the only option available to them.
    Burn the house or risk having their own house value erased and their neighbourhood destroyed by rubbish and anti social behaviour. PCs mightn't like it but that is the reality of the situation. I wouldn't blame this action in any way

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I’m not sure what I’m more appalled by, the fact that a perfectly good house was burned down or the fact the local council shelled out FOUR HUNDRED AND THIRTY THOUSAND for a house for a traveller family.
    Former city mayor, Cllr Niall McNeilis, said there is concern that the fire might have been started deliberately to prevent the Traveller family moving in there.

I think the fact that the house was burned down, possibly motivated by local opposition to a traveller family moving in, is by far the most appalling aspect of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I think the fact that the house was burned down, possibly motivated by local opposition to a traveller family moving in, is by far the most appalling aspect of this.

So would you be happy with a traveller family moving next door to you? I assume by your post you’d have no issues with that.

Be honest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

So would you be happy with a traveller family moving next door to you? I assume by your post you’d have no issues with that.

Be honest now.

obviously here is anonymous but on Facebook its all too apparent in comment sections

"this is awful" - Karen, donnybrook
    "travellers are fine to live beside" - Fionn , dalkey
    "Irish people are so racist against travellers" - Vogue double-barrel, killiney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Scummy behaviour all round and shows that we need to seriously rethink our housing strategy in this country.

But sorry - onward with the usual polarised views, traveler/social welfare/council estate/landlord stereotypes etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

430k is crazy when others are struggling to scrape deposits together, it shouldn't be happening.

Having said that, I live in a small estate (20 houses) and have a traveller family across the street. We've been renting here 2 years and there literally hasn't been a peep out of them, nothing, if I didn't see them coming and going I wouldn't know they were there at all. So not all are bad.

Guy at the far end of my estate has a traveller family one side of him and a Roma family the other side. They are hounding the council to sort it out with all the trouble going on. I don't know how he gets up in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I'd agree with the OP here. 430,000 for a house for a traveler family is madness...why do we work at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

House torched by locals to preserve and safeguard their own homes and families.
    I cannot hold anything against the locals. they did what they had to do because there would be a fair chance that if they did nothing, they were in for 20 years of antisocial behaviour, crime and possibly even unauthorised expansion of the place into an unofficial site with extended family members moving caravans and mobile homes onto the grounds of the house.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I'd agree with the OP here. 430,000 for a house for a traveler family is madness...why do we work at all...

Waste of time, if you quit your job in the morning you'd nearly be better off.

• Advertisement

Having said that, I live in a small estate (20 houses) and have a traveller family across the street. We've been renting here 2 years and there literally hasn't been a peep out of them, nothing, if I didn't see them coming and going I wouldn't know they were there at all. So not all are bad.

Possibly it is a drug-house, or some other illicit gig going on there and they are making an effort to stay off of the radar so as to not draw attention to their illicit activities.

Possibly it is a drug-house, or some other illicit gig going on there and they are making an effort to stay off of the radar so as to not draw attention to their illicit activities.

Hardly, its 2 parents with 4 kids. They wash clothes and hang them out, they go to Tesco for shopping, they cook dinner in the evening. Surprise surprise, just like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Jesus christ what people will say when they are anonymous on a Boards thread. Advocating for arson now are we? A new low i would say. Not a huge fan of travelers myself but wouldnt go around burning their caravans.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

What an absolutely idiotic post!

unhappys10 wrote: »
    430k is crazy when others are struggling to scrape deposits together, it shouldn't be happening.

you're either very lucky or something else is up,
    although how do you know they're travellers if theres not a peep out of them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

I hope the council had insurance on the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Im not surprised

It says a lot about you that you also favourited the post hypothesizing that they're drug dealers...

• Advertisement

They came to the house last Halloween trick or treating.
    Probably scoping out the place :rolleyes:

kenmm wrote: »

But sorry - onward with the usual polarised views, traveler/social welfare/council estate/landlord stereotypes etc etc

It's this sort of opinion that allows a council to splurge 400k on a traveller house. Nobody puts the brakes on to ask why taxpayer money is being wasted in this fashion for fear of being labelled. Not many will admit to it, but a lot of people would take the same action if faced with this situation. It's the only option in this country anymore. I for one am not going to work all my life to live in anti social squalor if I can avoid it.

It says a lot about you that you also favourited the post hypothesizing that they're drug dealers...

don't forget the shanty towns to house those that are a bit of a scumbag - that was classic :pac: :pac:

Another bonfire of taxpayer money. And the Travellers have no problem fuelling it provided they never contribute a solitary cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Copper pipes, wires and cylinder are probably salvageable?

unhappys10 wrote: »
    They came to the house last Halloween trick or treating.
    Probably scoping out the place :rolleyes:

and did they say 'trick or treat, were travellers' or how did you tell ?

Other possibility is that the traveller family torched the house themselves as they might not have wanted to move into that house.

Other possibility is that the traveller family torched the house themselves as they might not have wanted to move into that house.

is the garden big enough for a stables ?

UsBus wrote: »
    It's this sort of opinion that allows a council to splurge 400k on a traveller house. Nobody puts the brakes on to ask why taxpayer money is being wasted in this fashion for fear of being labelled. Not many will admit to it, but a lot of people would take the same action if faced with this situation. It's the only option in this country anymore. I for one am not going to work all my life to live in anti social squalor if I can avoid it.

Ah I see you omitted my first comment about the desperate need for reform.

What point do you turn to arson? Where do you keep the pitchforks in case you don't get on with one of your neighbours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Any evidence of this or are you just spouting rubbish?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement