Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire destroys Co Galway house purchased by council for Traveller family

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

Calm down princess. The house was empty and you can be sure the tinkers will be getting an even bigger and better house.
    Don't worry, dear, I'm sure you can torch the next one. No need to get upset now.
    You mean as long as those travellers aren’t moving in next door to YOU.
    I'm not the kind of psycho who torches buildings because they don't like the people moving into them so... no. I'm also not the kind of person to make generalisations about large groups of people based on the actions of a few. But fire away yourself.

I wish there was some way to compare posts because it'd be very interesting to see the people condoning this versus the possibility of being the same people in the "BLM or WLM" thread getting very upset about protests (but not a right winger murdering people, of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

I wish there was some way to compare posts because it'd be very interesting to see the people condoning this versus the possibility of being the same people in the "BLM or WLM" thread getting very upset about protests (but not a right winger murdering people, of course).

Ah sure their all victims of an oppressive society that is out to get them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

obviously here is anonymous but on Facebook its all too apparent in comment sections

"this is awful" - Karen, donnybrook
    "travellers are fine to live beside" - Fionn , dalkey
    "Irish people are so racist against travellers" - Vogue double-barrel, killiney.

There are currently 38 comments on the article on the FB page.

Not one from anyone called Karen or Fionn and none mentioning the word racist.

Maybe facebook are doing some A/B testing and i am seeing a different version or the article was posted to fb twice?
    Maybe I got unlucky and all three deleted there comments?

Or maybe something else is very apparent?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

kenmm wrote: »
    Where do you draw the line here? Would you go setting things on fire (assuming thats the case)?

Will you (if you end up ever being able to afford that house and you find out travelers are living near by)?

If you can find the post where I advocate the burning out of travellers houses I’ll answer you.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

Well you seem to think other people would. Sauce for the goose.
    You mean as long as those travellers aren’t moving in next door to YOU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Electronic Writer

Fire does €430000 criminal damage.

10 years will put an end to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Electronic Writer

Man sets 6 BMW's on fire in Blackrock ?

If you can find the post where I advocate the burning out of travellers houses I’ll answer you.

I never said you did or didn't advocate it - I am asking where your line is.

EDIT: I mean I get you are not happy a house was wasted, what would you do if travelers were moving in?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Must of been some 4 bed house for 430,000 in Carnmore !

It must have been.............

Any large house around Carnmore would be 350k min, I'm not overly surprised by the price.

A 200 sqm modern house in that area would be 400k.

Here is a house asking 450k:

https://www.daft.ie/galway/houses-for-sale/oranmore/carnmore-west-oranmore-galway-2657841/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭enricoh

obviously here is anonymous but on Facebook its all too apparent in comment sections

"this is awful" - Karen, donnybrook
    "travellers are fine to live beside" - Fionn , dalkey
    "Irish people are so racist against travellers" - Vogue double-barrel, killiney.

I used to think the same, then I got a weekend job in a petrol station at college. Sweet jesus- it was an eye opener, it was like a swat team hit the place when they landed!

• Advertisement

Well said. I belive that the issue here is that no-one knows whether the family that was going to get the house in Galway (or in other locations where similar fires have occurred) was a completely inoffensive one - like the travelling family in your estate - or was one of the more anti-social, "neighbour from hell" families that some other renters and homeowners have the misfortune to live beside.

We know that GY City Council bought the house.

We know the house is in GY County Council area.

We know some County Cllrs weren't happy with the City buying houses outside their area, arguing that the City have enough space/opportunity to buy or build a house in the City area.

We know the house was for travellers who currently live in Carrowbrowne site on the Headford road.

kenmm wrote: »
    There are currently 38 comments on the article on the FB page.

Not one from anyone called Karen or Fionn and none mentioning the word racist.

Maybe facebook are doing some A/B testing and i am seeing a different version or the article was posted to fb twice?
    Maybe I got unlucky and all three deleted there comments?

Or maybe something else is very apparent?

I wonder if any of the other 27 posters that thanked the post seen any of the comments?

A bigger question is:

Should the local governments be obliged to provide traveller housing / accomm, separate from the regular social housing schemes?

Fire does €430000 criminal damage.

The house is damaged yes, but not razed to ground.

And of course the land is still there.

So the loss will be less than 430k.

UsBus wrote: »
    No surprise really.
    Neighbours in the vicinity of the house took the only option available to them.
    Burn the house or risk having their own house value erased and their neighbourhood destroyed by rubbish and anti social behaviour. PCs mightn't like it but that is the reality of the situation. I wouldn't blame this action in any way

Disgusting attitude.
    You will be suggesting people start committing arson in halting sites next I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Full story here...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/fire-destroys-co-galway-house-purchased-by-council-for-traveller-family-1.4342767

I’m not sure what I’m more appalled by, the fact that a perfectly good house was burned down or the fact the local council shelled out FOUR HUNDRED AND THIRTY THOUSAND for a house for a traveller family.

It makes me sick to my stomach, I am scrimping and saving for 5 years to get a deposit together and these absolute leeches to society have this just given to them. So when I look at the deductions every month to my payslip I know where they’re going.

Disgusting disgusting country.

The people voted for FF SF FG Greens Lab SD PBP who support giving out free houses.

We get the government we deserve

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Can't blame the locals for doing what they did - a bad traveller family living next door can ruin your life

Note that councils are doing this all the time.

Nobody should be surprised.

Here is one in Kerry:

400k, 7 bedrooms

https://www.radiokerry.ie/e400000-council-house-tralee-due-completed-end-year/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Considering the thread was started from the outset to tar all travellers as scum, and any attempt to actually put forward any other perspective derided by all-too-familiar posters, it can hardly be called 'discussion'. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement