Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin media issues?

• 31-08-2020 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Last few weeks have started to notice slow downs on netflix and disney plus over wifi. On Virgin 500mb and Google WiFi. Google Wifi reports 486mb average download, 50 upload. Have 3 hubs so don't think its a coverage issue.

Anyone else having problems lately?

Thanks,
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pandaa

Hi folks,

Last few weeks have started to notice slow downs on netflix and disney plus over wifi. On Virgin 500mb and Google WiFi. Google Wifi reports 486mb average download, 50 upload. Have 3 hubs so don't think its a coverage issue.

Thanks,
    Mick

Hi,

Whats is the speed you getting. I am on VF and thinking of moving to VM.

Usual speed id 80-90 mbps while netflix varies from 0.3 to 11 mbps.

Only one TV and 1 Laptop connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭micks_address

pandaa wrote: »
    Hi,

Whats is the speed you getting. I am on VF and thinking of moving to VM.

Usual speed id 80-90 mbps while netflix varies from 0.3 to 11 mbps.

Only one TV and 1 Laptop connected.

I moved around my google WiFi base unit last night. I had it sitting beside virgin modem... I'm getting 480 plus on wired connections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Hi folks,

Thanks,
    Mick

486mb isn't an issue.

I moved around my google WiFi base unit last night. I had it sitting beside virgin modem... I'm getting 480 plus on wired connections

Thanks for sharing your kind response. 480 even on netflix is amazing? I have never seen above 11 mbps on wifi. I cannot connect TV via a cable though.

Final question - what is speed on a wifi. You may respond if you like.

Apologies for hijacking your thread.

Thanks for sharing your kind response. 480 even on netflix is amazing? I have never seen above 11 mbps on wifi. I cannot connect TV via a cable though.

Final question - what is speed on a wifi. You may respond if you like.

Apologies for hijacking your thread.

Totally depends on distance..I am on Google wifi..three units in house...same room as unit 360mb.. further away lowers speeds walls etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

You wont get 480 on Netflix itself. Their max bit rate (for 4k streams) is 15mbps, and for programmes in 1080p would be 5 or 6 I believe.

Thanks a lot :-)

Totally depends on distance..I am on Google wifi..three units in house...same room as unit 360mb.. further away lowers speeds walls etc
    dam099 wrote: »
    You wont get 480 on Netflix itself. Their max bit rate (for 4k streams) is 15mbps, and for programmes in 1080p would be 5 or 6 I believe.

Thanks. Just checked as I had higher speeds elsewhere. So, both VF and VM are controlling speeds to a max of 11 or 15 mbps.

0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed

1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed

3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality

5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality

25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

Thanks. Just checked as I had higher speeds elsewhere. So, both VF and VM are controlling speeds to a max of 11 or 15 mbps.

0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed

1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed

3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality

5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality

25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality

15Mbps is the highest bit rate Netflix themselves serve that is their limit not your ISP's. If the recommended speeds you quote above came from Netflix they are probably allowing for some headroom.

0.3Mbps as per your first post is very bad though, something must be going on with your connection when you get that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Hi folks,

Thanks,
    Mick

VM quoted speeds as far as I know in the T&Cs are up too Mbps, not a constant and that their headend / DataCenter manages that depending on how many devices are connected at your end to your router so what I take from that is that they throttle your throughput depending on your needs. So if you had 10 devices they all not going to have 500Mbps each, but should be able to all play HD netflix movies without any issues. Also wifi will vary a lot also.

• Advertisement

VM quoted speeds as far as I know in the T&Cs are up too Mbps, not a constant and that their headend / DataCenter manages that depending on how many devices are connected at your end to your router so what I take from that is that they throttle your throughput depending on your needs. So if you had 10 devices they all not going to have 500Mbps each, but should be able to all play HD netflix movies without any issues. Also wifi will vary a lot also.

Since I moved around my Google WiFi base unit and added a 4th to the house everything seems fine... For some reason having the Google wifi beside the virgin media modem was causing issues..shouldn't really as wifi disabled on the vm box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Since I moved around my Google WiFi base unit and added a 4th to the house everything seems fine... For some reason having the Google wifi beside the virgin media modem was causing issues..shouldn't really as wifi disabled on the vm box

Networking is temperamental wifi very susceptible to an interface which can cause throughput/speed issues.

Advertisement