Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky offering to upgrade box

• 31-08-2020 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭

For being such a loyal customer , sky have offered to install a Sky Q box for free.

No additional contract.
    No additional charges.

I've the basic variety package. No sports, no movies, whats the catch?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

No rf2 out on the sky q box, do you use that?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fluppen

Hi,

No catch, if you're lucky, other than getting someone back in contract and hoping to entice you to use some extra paid features if you get a new box. I was offered the same a while back but when I said that my broadband wasn't great they just sent me a newer sky+ box. About a week later I sent a message because the signal seemed weaker with the new box. a technician came out and installed a new satellite for me too. All free of charge and no change to my monthly fee. Sometimes loyalty is actually rewarded :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

MarkR wrote: »
    No rf2 out on the sky q box, do you use that?

Nope. nothing fancy like that. Thanks

Fluppen wrote: »
    Hi,

No catch, if you're lucky, other than getting someone back in contract and hoping to entice you to use some extra paid features if you get a new box. I was offered the same a while back but when I said that my broadband wasn't great they just sent me a newer sky+ box. About a week later I sent a message because the signal seemed weaker with the new box. a technician came out and installed a new satellite for me too. All free of charge and no change to my monthly fee. Sometimes loyalty is actually rewarded :).

thanks.

just between you and me, should my rusty old satellite dish "fall" off the wall before hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,326 ✭✭✭✭muffler

just between you and me, should my rusty old satellite dish "fall" off the wall before hand.
    Do you use it for free to air channels on another tv in the house? Sky will probably change the dish if its in poor nick but either way they will change the LNB resulting in the loss of any FTA channels you may be watching now or in the future.

Ask the installer to fit a hybrid LNB which will cover you now and further ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Ask the installer to fit a hybrid LNB which will cover you now and further ahead.

That's the only potential catch...insist on the hybrid LNB.

Keep the current LNB as a spare and keep the current box(es) (they're your property anyway).

The Sky Q box will need to be returned if you leave Sky in the future and double check that there's no extension to contract and ask what happens if they raise prices....will you stay at the current price or be bound to new price.

muffler wrote: »
    Do you use it for free to air channels on another tv in the house? Sky will probably change the dish if its in poor nick but either way they will change the LNB resulting in the loss of any FTA channels you may be watching now or in the future.

Yes, have a second tv with free to air coming from the same dish.

With a hydrid LNB that will stay working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

For being such a loyal customer , sky have offered to install a Sky Q box for free.

No additional contract.
    No additional charges.

I've the basic variety package. No sports, no movies, whats the catch?

Thanks.

thats the same as they offered me , except they were giving it to me for €21.60 a month for 12 month contract .
    (i canceled service in June)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,326 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Yes, Sky Q and other FTA channels will continue to work. The installers arent obliged to fit the hybrid LNB but a wee sweetener works wonders if they arent in a generous mood ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

As long as you have a basic installation with both rooms wired directly to the dish then yes, if you have a multiswitch then no.

Insist on them using the hybrid and make sure the tv/box in the other room is working before they leave.

The Sky+ box is your property and you should keep it but the recording facility and abiity to watch previously recorded content is blocked once it is not on an active subscription.

• Advertisement
Advertisement