Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penalty points and insurance

• 31-08-2020 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi there,

I renewed my insurance a few days ago, my new insurance started yesterday and my partner was fined for driving on his own (he’s a learner driver) yesterday. Do I need to let my insurer know that he was fined (got 3 penalty points) or does it only matter when I renew next year ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Disclose it at renewal and you will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Some insurers have conditions in their policy that you must notify them immediately. Check your documents

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Disclose it at renewal and you will be fine.

Poor advice. If in doubt disclose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Hi there,

I renewed my insurance a few days ago, my new insurance started yesterday and my partner was fined for driving on his own (he’s a learner driver) yesterday. Do I need to let my insurer know that he was fined (got 3 penalty points) or does it only matter when I renew next year ?

I assume the unaccompanied driver is named on OP's policy as a driver - that is not clear to me.

Did the unaccompanied driving event take place before or after inception of the contract ?

If the unaccompanied driving event occurred before inception it should probably have been declared otherwise an argument about non-disclosure may arise.

If the unaccompanied driving event happened after inception of the policy notification of that event is probably not required until renewal.

I endorse the general wisdom that if you are in doubt about a fact disclose it.

Advertisement