Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Luas line proposals

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Metro link would be grand, particularly if you can use the Leap between it and Luas and busses

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

iamstop wrote: »
    Metro link would be grand, particularly if you can use the Leap between it and Luas and busses

It will be on the metro and almost certainly part of the 90 minute transfer plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Crazy to me that Dublin is one of the few capitals in the EU to not have any trains or trams to the airport. Still.

Just found this article from 2018, proposal to have it in for 2040. Twenty feckin' years to put in a rail line? What the heck are they smoking?

Here here I agree, it's madness that there isn't a rail link of some description. There was talk of a spur line off the DART, then talk of a LUAS line, but here we are twenty years after the first ideas were suggested with nothing to show :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There's a good bus service into the city centre and there's plenty of taxis. It would be very expensive to provide a luas to the city centre. It only takes maybe 20 minutes to get to the city centre from the airport.
    Dublin is not LA where the traffic is very slow or liable to delays. It makes no financial sense to build a luas versus saving a few minutes on travel time vs using a bus

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

riclad wrote: »
    There's a good bus service into the city centre and there's plenty of taxis.

all add to the cronic traffic issues the city faces.
    the bus service while frequent is not reliable enough because of the cronic road traffic issues and addressing those issues either way will be expensive.
    It would be very expensive to provide a luas to the city centre.

infrastructure is expensive, however a luas on top of the metro, serving the communities a luas line would serve would help remove some of the large amount of road traffic from the city coming from those areas.
    It only takes maybe 20 minutes to get to the city centre from the airport.

off peak maybe, but certainly not for the most part during much of the day.
    Dublin is not LA where the traffic is very slow or liable to delays.

slow moving traffic and cronic delays are absolutely the case in dublin city centre, it won't effect every area and it won't be at all times of the day, but it exists to a problematic extent.
    It makes no financial sense to build a luas versus saving a few minutes on travel time vs using a bus

it makes every financial sense to build a luas which will in turn make some of the buses redundant and in turn remove large amounts of road traffic from the city, something we do know luas is successful at doing.
    there is no saving on the bus due to the cronic road traffic, whereas with luas removing traffic, and perhapse eventually when we grow up more and start giving luas the priority in the city we should be giving it, more savings will come in terms of journey times.
    not to mention that luas wouldn't be specifically about the airport but will be more about the communities it serves, for the airport specific rail link then something heavier will be needed then trams.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

The benefits of Luas, Metro or Dart are that they remove cars, taxis, buses from the road, reduces conjestion, which is good for our environmental commitments. The serve not only the destination, but populations on the way, increases capacity and speed and because they are fixed, they can be more dependable.
    The finglas extension is interesting since is seems to go over some parkland, reducing the space on roads it will co-exist with traffic.
    I think the idea to stop drop offs at the airport from private cars, is a bad idea, forcing people not on an airport bus route or convienent access to one to pay a fee to park, be dropped off, or forced to use a taxi..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I can't think of any other capital city in Europe that I've been to that doesn't have some rail link to the airport(s) of that city. There may be some, just none I've been to as far as I can remember.
    I think the Luas is great and serves a great number of people but I think not routing it out to the airport was extremely short sighted.

There are no railroads in Cyprus at all

Advertisement