Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shearing lambs

• 31-08-2020 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭

Do many here shear their lighter lambs, or store lambs this time of year?

I did it the past few years, debating whether I'll do it this year or not...

Why not this year, no particular reason - maybe just to see how I get on without shearing them as much as anything else...

My reasons for shearing were for management more than anything - less chance of maggots, getting caught in briars...

So - what say ye to shearing lambs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Tileman

Why not this year, no particular reason - maybe just to see how I get on without shearing them as much as anything else...

My reasons for shearing were for management more than anything - less chance of maggots, getting caught in briars..

I don’t but that’s because I can never get my shearer back. I have my own hedge cutter so that takes care of the briars.
    Think they look cleaner no doubt , not sure it makes much difference to thrive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I shear my replacement ewe lambs because i put them to the ram to lamb from april 1st. this leaves them very neat when they lamb not a huge amount of wool all over them and around thier elders. shearing them tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

My reasons for shearing were for management more than anything - less chance of maggots, getting caught in briars...

Listened to the Ovicast podcast on shearing last night, might be of interest to you.

https://share.transistor.fm/s/4dd3e216

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Listened to the Ovicast podcast on shearing last night, might be of interest to you.

https://share.transistor.fm/s/4dd3e216

Very interesting, thanks Burford...

I am leaning more towards not shearing, see how we do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Very interesting, thanks Burford...

I am leaning more towards not shearing, see how we do...

According to Tim Keady there is no advantage, but they do look better and much easier handled at lambing.
    We always do the ewe lambs here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i never do the stores just ewe lamb inlamb.

Advertisement