Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Height of Pillar without planning permission

Options
  • 31-08-2020 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm selling my house, and just wondering as my house front wall is under 1.2m, but my driveway gate pillars are not.

Are the pillars height going to be an issue? Trying to Google it but no joy.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nalz wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm selling my house, and just wondering as my house front wall is under 1.2m, but my driveway gate pillars are not.

Are the pillars height going to be an issue? Trying to Google it but no joy.

We’re they built as part of the original house?
    Did you add the pillars?
    Did you create an entrance?

Technically the wall boundary should be 1.2m max to be exempt. That would normally include the piers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Gumbo wrote: »
    We’re they built as part of the original house?
    Did you add the pillars?
    Did you create an entrance?

Technically the wall boundary should be 1.2m max to be exempt. That would normally include the piers.

It was an existing entrance, but we built the wall on our side of the boundary with the street footpath, together with the two houses either side of me. The pillars are used for the gates

It was an existing entrance, but we built the wall on our side of the boundary with the street footpath, together with the two houses either side of me. The pillars are used for the gates

A pic might help.
    Sounds like retention may be. Ended for the increased height of picked up by a purchasing surveyors report.

A pic might help.
    Sounds like retention may be. Ended for the increased height of picked up by a purchasing surveyors report.

see attached pic

If the purchasers themselves don't mind (I'm in contact with them directly) then none of this really matters, right?

Thanks!

see attached pic

If the purchasers themselves don't mind (I'm in contact with them directly) then none of this really matters, right?

Thanks!

Pretty much yes. If they engage a surveyor, then they need to instruct the surveyor not to highlight it or they themselves not to send the report to the solicitor as they will be required to act on it.

What you have is fairly standard though. My own boundary walls are 1200 high but the piers about 2-300 higher, but they have been in since the original planning.

• Advertisement

Hi

other than architects, who can sign off with a certificate of exemption for such a thing? We have an architect who will do it but it's costing us 478 euros!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Hi

other than architects, who can sign off with a certificate of exemption for such a thing? We have an architect who will do it but it's costing us 478 euros!!

I don’t know how or why he would do that because so far in the discussion no one is suggesting that it actually is exempt. A certificate from an architect wouldn’t in and of itself make development exempt, even if it were signed by Dermot Bannon himself though it would give the bank comfort.

That said, in practice, I wonder if the planning on these pillars will really be an issue?

Could you put the property on the market? Then if it becomes an issue for the prospective purchaser at the final stage, you can go back to the architect and get the certificate quickly.

Hi

Architect, Engineer or Building Surveyor. Some Technologists can do it too based on their experience and PI Cover.

I would expect it to cost about €500. Take away the vat, costs etc it’s not a large profit.

My question would be what cert are they giving you? If it’s not Exempt, it requires planning. They can’t cert their way out of that.

Architect, Engineer or Building Surveyor. Some Technologists can do it too based on their experience and PI Cover.

I would expect it to cost about €500. Take away the vat, costs etc it’s not a large profit.

My question would be what cert are they giving you? If it’s not Exempt, it requires planning. They can’t cert their way out of that.

An certificate of exemption. Apparently it is exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you can explain how it is exempt, then why do you need the cert?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

because purchasing solicitors require a professional with PI insurance to say its exempt... not any joe soap

If it is exempt, you have to have the cert from a competent professional.
    Even if it needs planning, you then need the cert to say it complies with the planning.

You always need the cert.

An certificate of exemption. Apparently it is exempt.

Once the cert is written, the solicitor and purchasers solicitor will accept it.
    You’ve done your duty by engaging the professional and their cert will cover you.

I think 478 inc VAT is about right but as always, ring around for 3 quotes to ensure.

For anyone else reading, I got the cert for less than half of 478. So shop around is right!

Advertisement