Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skerries Covid Party

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Firstly the authorities need to figure out if what they said is true, as proper actions such as self-isolation, testing needs to be done.

If it was all just a joke then it was silly and immature but thankfully no-one was harmed. It might also make everyone realise that joking like this is akin to joking about a bomb in an airport as a previous poster said.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

There's no cure for stoopid. What can you do?

The rest of us still need to keep doing our best and that's all we can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Ban the Tok Tic, it only encourages the crazies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It’s the same sort of idiotic humour of joking at airport check in that for all you know there might be a bomb in your bag because your mammy packed it for you- stupid joke but it can’t be ignored by the authorities.

It’s not the obviously immature video content that’s the key fault here- it’s the narrative, whether true or untrue that went out accompanying the video on WhatsApp that’s putting pressure on businesses sports clubs the HSE and the Gardai - no one can confirm at present what the true position is so they have a lot of work to do and precautions to take before they determine the truth.

If you made this joke on your way to the airport surrounded by your friends would you have the same issue. They didnt send the video into the HSE or RTE, they should know things can go viral but it was harmless it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

No, fines would put a stop to these "jokes" pretty sharpish. Haha lolz ppl dying but I'm ok.
    Fûck them.

Yes, we must all follow Big Brother and not make "jokes" or show any individualism/fun/social interaction.

Its great that this virus has brought us together to show never before levels of vitrol towards people for innocuous enough stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It’s the same sort of idiotic humour of joking at airport check in that for all you know there might be a bomb in your bag because your mammy packed it for you- stupid joke but it can’t be ignored by the authorities.

I know a bloke who joked about a bomb in his bag on a plane on a school tour. It was before takeoff so he was kicked off the flight. There's no accounting for young people. Sometimes they behave stupidly precisely because they're young. Nothing new about it.

These young wans might have been stupid and messing and they might have been stupid and one if them really had COVID. No telling what happened. They should be tracked and tested though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

its an incurable disease that has killed millions worldwide and out health ‘policies’ in Iteland mean that if you have basically any of the typical mainstream health issues and are make and iver 60 you will be automatically denied ICU treatment and left to die if you get it. Might be of little or no consequence to you but a lit of people care about their health & livliehood..

So has the flu?

I wonder is there anyway back to normal afterwards with the way society has gone. Now first of all, Covid appears to be worse than a flu.

However the flu kills many many people around the world, especially the more vulnerable, by wearing masks and social distancing we can prevent the spread of the flu. Are masks and no parties here to stay?
    These kids could have had the same party last year with the flu and infected loads, leading to loss days in work, sick kids, and the loss of life an elderly relative. Now the risk of the death appears higher with Covid - but the same principles would apply surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Whestsidestory

Individualism my arse
    Omg like so I think it like must be so like Alva cos like omg...etc etc
    Attention seeking clones the lot of them

niallo27 wrote: »
    If you made this joke on your way to the airport surrounded by your friends would you have the same issue. They didnt send the video into the HSE or RTE, they should know things can go viral but it was harmless it would seem.

As I said it’s not the video per se that’s causing the problem- it’s the narrative surrounding the video when it was pushed out by someone on WhatsApp that’s the real issue- the video is at most, insensitive, childish (obviously)but nothing more-It’s the back story that’s causing the problem- if true, then certainly the girls are in big doo doo, but if false, it’s very unfair on the authorities who must look into this regardless and spend valuable resources that could be used elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

paw patrol wrote: »
    Has that ever happened?
    I believe it's a standard thing now. There are plenty of stories of companies trawling social media for potential and current employees. It tends to be an advisory in job hunting. Remember the woman in New York calling the police on a black man? Simple approach is not to post what you can't stand over in real life.

• Advertisement

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Pretty sure this tiktok video is to be taken as satire and has just blown up thanks to WhatsApp sharing with no context.
    It's pretty awful as satire, just dull and stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's pretty awful as satire, just dull and stupid!

I agree but it's also dull and stupid to blindly believe a WhatsApp message forwarded god knows how many times. Have people not learned their lesson at this stage or do we need another reminder of the time everyone thought the army was about to be called in to Dublin.

These girls did this among themselves and shared among online friends as a joke but someone took it upon themselves to share with a twisted context to skew what was really going on. The dangers of social media.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I agree but it's also dull and stupid to believe a WhatsApp message forwarded god knows how many times. Have people not learned their lesson at this stage or do we need another reminder of the time everyone thought the army was about to be called in to Dublin.

These girls did this among themselves and shared among online friends as a joke but someone took it upon themselves to share with a twisted context to skew what was really going on. The dangers of social media.
    WhatsApp preys on that instant sharing mentality that we all have and the trust of contacts making things credible. Reckon social media needs to be added to the curriculum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

is_that_so wrote: »
    WhatsApp preys on that instant sharing mentality that we all have and the trust of contacts making things credible. Reckon social media needs to be added to the curriculum!

Big time.

We've given every lunatic an effective platform to communicate and people need to learn how to sieve through the garbage.

I've become sceptical of almost everything online now which isn't good either.

paw patrol wrote: »
    Has that ever happened?

It has.
    A mate of mine went for an interview once and.. ah wait.., no, I'm just making this up.

Curse this Internet making me lie all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

However the flu kills many many people around the world, especially the more vulnerable, by wearing masks and social distancing we can prevent the spread of the flu. Are masks and no parties here to stay?

Key difference with flu: most vulnerable people and front line workers get vaccinated every year, or at least should. The vulnerable in my family get their shot as soon as it's available, and then go about their business. No such option here, they are dependent on other people's actions.

Although I should reiterate that I don't really see anything worthy of condemnation in the few facts so-far of this particular story. You can't tell teenagers to "get back to normal" and then be surprised when they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

So has the flu?

I wonder is there anyway back to normal afterwards with the way society has gone. Now first of all, Covid appears to be worse than a flu.

These kids could have had the same party last year with the flu and infected loads, leading to loss days in work, sick kids, and the loss of life an elderly relative. Now the risk of the death appears higher with Covid - but the same principles would apply surely?

Covid-19 does not just appear worse than a flu, it is a lot more lethal.
    2018-2019 in the U.S.A. there were 34,200 flu related deaths.
    For the last 6 months the U.S.A. has suffered 187,742 Covid-19 related deaths.
    So to answer your question, if this story is true, then morons behaving like that and people making excuses for them will ensure masks and no parties are here to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Lillyfae wrote: »
    They harmed a sum total of no one. It's like when Americans think that Waterford Whispers is a genuine news source. They're silly, but all teenage girls are silly. We just didn't have social media to hang us when we were their age.

Not directly, but look at the indirect damage they are doing.
    1. Clubs and businesses they went to will have to close up as a precaution until it cant be conclusively confirmed that it is all a hoax. That is a few days lost business at least.

2. Customers of those businesses are put out, and might not return quite so quickly as soon as the places re-open as they might be wary.

3. General damage and stressed caused to the community in skeirries and having the name of the town dragged through the mud because of these amadáns.

4. Making themselves and their families look like absolute idiots to be pulling this sort of stunt in the middle of a public health crisis.

So I stand by my point, they are fúcktards and ought to bear the wrath of public riducule online and elsewhere.

And if they didn't want their stupidity revealed online then they should not be going around broadcasting their idiotic stunts on social media. It is not that difficult.
    My rule is if you would not want your mother or granny or boss seeing something, then you should not put it on social media.

They are young, but you are never too young to be taught a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

1. Clubs and businesses they went to will have to close up as a precaution until it cant be conclusively confirmed that it is all a hoax. That is a few days lost business at least.
    What is the actual hoax here? What is the claim that is being made and who is making it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

All we need now is half a dozen nursing home residents to make a parody of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

2. Customers of those businesses are put out, and might not return quite so quickly as soon as the places re-open as they might be wary.

3. General damage and stressed caused to the community in skeirries and having the name of the town dragged through the mud because of these amadáns.

4. Making themselves and their families look like absolute idiots to be pulling this sort of stunt in the middle of a public health crisis.

So I stand by my point, they are fúcktards and ought to bear the wrath of public riducule online and elsewhere.

And if they didn't want their stupidity revealed online then they should not be going around broadcasting their idiotic stunts on social media. It is not that difficult.
    My rule is if you would not want your mother or granny or boss seeing something, then you should not put it on social media.

Er, I think the clubs and businesses could easily just have asked them directly, rather than jumping to massive conclusions on the back of a TikTok that was clearly a joke. Let them be reprimanded by their employers if their businesses were actually damaged.

Honestly less concerned about their reputations, or the towns, I mean how tf is that important in the grand scheme of things :confused:. Oh God Love Skerries Don't They Look Awful Stupid. Again, a bit of maturity in the face of immaturity would go a long way.

EDIT: Oh I've just seen that the rumours were made up by the people forwarding the Whatsapp rubbish and not the teenage girls doing the mess. The ironing is delicious!!

What is the actual hoax here? What is the claim that is being made and who is making it?

Those teenagers claiming to have it, or claiming to have committed actions to spread it to others. Holding covid parties and speculating as to who might have been infected. Claims to have been face licking etc.

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Er, I think the clubs and businesses could easily just have asked them directly, rather than jumping to massive conclusions on the back of a TikTok that was clearly a joke. Let them be reprimanded by their employers if their businesses were actually damaged.

Honestly less concerned about their reputations, or the towns, I mean how tf is that important in the grand scheme of things :confused:. Oh God Love Skerries Don't They Look Awful Stupid. Again, a bit of maturity in the face of immaturity would go a long way.

So you are suggesting that businesses pin the welfare of their staff and their customers and the public on the say-so of a bunch of feckless teenagers who have already demonstrated that they cannot be trusted?

Not good enough.

What if they own up to it but one of them has in fact unknowingly got it? What if they falsely declare it a prank/hoax now that they were in trouble over it to save their skin?

You cannot rely now on their say-so to make your decisions as there will be always a doubt there.
    All businesses and clubs associated will have to err on the side of caution and close, and do testing until it can be demonstrated that there is no infections present before they can open up again. To do anything else would be reckless and you would be in for a world of hurt if someone else ended up getting it, even if it was not a consequence of the prank - you'll just be blamed for it anyway. That is the thing in this country - anytimg something goes wrong, it is a race to pin the blame on anyone possible. All you need is a chink in your armour or something not done fully in accordance with policies and you'll be nailed for some or all of the blame and left to refute it all and defend yourself.

If businesses and clubs here do not err on the side of caution and close until full testing and contact tracing is done, and they get unlucky and they get a cluster, then the management of those businesses and clubs will be the most convenient target for blame. Feck that. Close. And blame these feckless teenagers who need to be taught a lesson or two. Look at the stress and costs they have cost everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Isn't Skerries the ghetto or is that Balbriggan? Dublin Live says so anyway.

I will take this story with a massive pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

So you are suggesting that businesses pin the welfare of their staff and their customers and the public on the say-so of a bunch of feckless teenagers who have already demonstrated that they cannot be trusted?

Not good enough.

What if they own up to it but one of them has in fact unknowingly got it? What if they falsely declare it a prank/hoax now that they were in trouble over it to save their skin?

You cannot rely now on their say-so to make your decisions as there will be always a doubt there.
    All businesses and clubs associated will have to err on the side of caution and close, and do testing until it can be demonstrated that there is no infections present before they can open up again.

Read the edit. The rumors about the girls being out and about and working in local businesses were made up by dopes forwarding Whatsapp messages when, coincidentally, a business voluntarily closed due to one of their staff members tested positive.

That's what happens when people don't read things properly, or hit the ceiling rather than first confirming something. Rumors start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Those teenagers claiming to have it, or claiming to have committed actions to spread it to others. Holding covid parties and speculating as to who might have been infected. Claims to have been face licking etc.

they never made these claims.
    one of them tested positive and then they had to get tested.

In the video , they nominated who else in their group would also test positive and why.
    That is the entire video.

The rest is whatsapp rumour and local gossip without evidence and a load of bollocks (like your posts)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The damage was done by those spreading rumours and a likely fabricated screenshot, not by a silly tiktok video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

If i sent you just that video and nothing else. Would have you still be able to type the above? No. Because all the above was added outside of the video. The only thing that is known, is that girls involved in the video made it and they are speculating who among their group of friends may have it after one of the girls tested positive. Show me a group of young teenagers that aren't hanging around with each other now. They could have been easily doing any number of things prior to the positive result. And now they're wondering who has it. One of the comments was even about one of them might have it because she gets sick all the time.

The party context was added outside of the video. Not within the video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I don't think there's any claim that a Covid party was held on that video. Some gathering occurred and later one of them tested positive, but this is no doubt happening all the time all over the country. Teenagers hanging out in groups. May as well shut down the whole country if you are going to react this way to this video.

Advertisement