Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flickering light

Options
  • 31-08-2020 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I got the house done 2 years ago, including a full rewire for about 5k! The living room got 4 down lights and a centre main light. These were both on dimmers. I got dimmable LEDs for the downlights and a dimmable bulb for the main one.

Shortly after, the main bulb start flickering. It got progressively worse and wouldn't turn on at all. So we just used the 4 spotlights. Then they started acting up, flickering etc until we had no lights at all. We got another electrician in who said the bulbs probably weren't dimmable and replaced the dimmer switch with regular switches. Now the 4 spotlights work but the main light still flickers and is unusable.

The first electrician will never set foot in this house again. He was atrocious. The 2nd one is decent and I'd have him back. So the point I'm making is the wiring in the light switch should be OK after the 2nd guy replaced it. So given the bulbs are fine (and dimmable), and the switch should be wired correctly, what could be the possible issue here?

Both sets of lights were affected so I'm not sure if just one light may have been wired badly. The main light stopped working completely but I tightened the downlight dimmer and strangely the main light would then turn on, although still flickering.

Currently, the 4 lights are working perfect with the regular switch, but the main light still flickers.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I can do to get to the bottom of this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Is it wired as a 2 way switch i.e. have you multiple switches to turn lights on and off? If so I've had issues with LED dimmers in this configuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

No there's only one point on the wall. Initially it had 2 dimmers. Now it has 2 switches.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Replace the lamp, most likely been damaged beyond use.

Look up hue and similar so you can dim and do all sorts with them including sensors and different scenes and timers too.

I wait till black Friday and such on Amazon and get when on offer.

No messing with wiring and you leave switches as is, the dimmer comes with some and can be bought seperate or use your tablet or phone to control them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I have Hue in the kitchen, and a couple upstairs, including the separate switch.
    The main light is one of those IKEA "Death Star" lights. Are you saying that is the problem, and that needs replacing? Or just the bulb?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I have Hue in the kitchen, and a couple upstairs, including the separate switch.
    The main light is one of those IKEA "Death Star" lights. Are you saying that is the problem, and that needs replacing? Or just the bulb?

I'd try the bulb and then if the same quite likely a loose connection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭whizbang

I tightened the downlight dimmer and strangely the main light would then turn on, although still flickering.

Ypu need to pull all the light fittings and remake every connection.

Advertisement