Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    I’m not really sure of the age relevance? Is it really different to a 14/15 year old?

A child/teenager should be having their sanitary products, food, clothes, medication and other essential items bought by their parents.

Parents receive social welfare payments which should cover the above essential items.

Look, let's make this easy to understand. There are people who can only receive the most basic form of welfare, and/or are working minimum wage jobs which can often be unreliable for any kind of job security.

As such, there are people in this country, who struggle to budget what they have... to cover all necessities such as food, clothes, rent, in addition to the extra costs that children bring, such as school uniforms, school books, school trips, etc. And with that need to budget harshly, comes the sacrificing of certain products. Tampons likely being one of them.

It shouldn't need to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Because a teenager can at least do some part-time work: baby-sitting, dog-sitting etc.

You see no issue with a 10 or 11 year old getting their period and having no access to money or sanitary products? How do you think they should procure them?

Children SHOULD be getting those things from their parents. However, some aren’t. Shall we let those children suffer whilst we say “should woulda coulda”? I find it most curious that some people think that children should pay for the sins of their parents.

I just find it hard to believe that someone on social welfare cannot afford sanitary products. I’ve just checked an Irish Times article on it. The average cost per year is 132 euro. That’s 11 euro a month.

If parents are refusing to buy them for the children then yes provide them but those parents would need to have their social welfare spending investigated. The social welfare in Ireland is enough to cover that expense.

Do we start handing out free toilet roll, medication, clothes, food as well too?

Look, let's make this easy to understand. There are people who can only receive the most basic form of welfare, and/or are working minimum wage jobs which can often be unreliable for any kind of job security.

As such, there are people in this country, who struggle to budget what they have... to cover all necessities such as food, clothes, rent, in addition to the extra costs that children bring, such as school uniforms, school books, school trips, etc. And with that need to budget harshly, comes the sacrificing of certain products. Tampons likely being one of them.

It shouldn't need to be.

It’s 11 euro a month.

It’s 11 euro a month.

I've gone through periods in my life (when I was younger) when I didn't have much more than 5 euro to spend once rent, food, transportation, etc was taken care of.

Life is often not as easy as you want to make it out to be. I'm guessing you've never hit rock bottom, or come close to it yet. Sometimes life throws a curve-ball at you, and having spare money for "luxuries" just isn't possible.

I've gone through periods in my life (when I was younger) when I didn't have much more than 5 euro to spend once rent, food, transportation, etc was taken care of.

Life is often not as easy as you want to make it out to be. I'm guessing you've never hit rock bottom, or come close to it yet. Sometimes life throws a curve-ball at you, and having spare money for "luxuries" just isn't possible.

While I’ve never been rock bottom, I grew up in a one parent family with my parent having minimum wage jobs. Myself and my sibling always had the essentials but not much else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I just find it hard to believe that someone on social welfare cannot afford sanitary products. I’ve just checked an Irish Times article on it. The average cost per year is 132 euro. That’s 11 euro a month.

If parents are refusing to buy them for the children then yes provide them but those parents would need to have their social welfare spending investigated. The social welfare in Ireland is enough to cover that expense.

Do we start handing out free toilet roll, medication, clothes, food as well too?

Toilet roll is free in lots of places. Did you never notice?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Schools should provide sanitary products and education around same for young women.

Toilet roll is free in lots of places. Did you never notice?

I did notice. What’s the point you are making?
    We aren’t a third world country, I’d be shocked if there were many families that could not afford 11 euro a month for an essential item if they were spending money wisely. Certainly not the 50% quoted.

Nobody on here agrees with me so no point in replying any further.

While I’ve never been rock bottom, I grew up in a one parent family with my parent having minimum wage jobs. Myself and my sibling always had the essentials but not much else.

And for a girl/woman, tampons should be an essential.. and yet, they might come second place to other considerations.

I'd say that while welfare gives the impression that people in Ireland have it easier than ever before, this country has become a lot more expensive too over time.. I can certainly see why people might be struggling if they're on the lower end of the socio-economic zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I did notice. What’s the point you are making?
    We aren’t a third world country, I’d be shocked if there were many families that could not afford 11 euro a month for an essential item if they were spending money wisely. Certainly not the 50% quoted.

Nobody on here agrees with me so no point in replying any further.

I think it’s just that personal hygiene is so important societally. Nobody wants a kid to be walking around feeling uncomfortable in themselves and unclean. Getting periods young is enough to be dealing with in and of itself without worrying about how to deal with them. And believe me, menstruation gets stank fast if not properly cleaned up.

• Advertisement

I think it’s just that personal hygiene is so important societally. Nobody wants a kid to be walking around feeling uncomfortable in themselves and unclean. Getting periods young is enough to be dealing with in and of itself without worrying about how to deal with them. And believe me, menstruation gets stank fast if not properly cleaned up.

I think my main issue is the 50% can’t afford them and my thought process that it’s down to money going on items that would be considered luxury when compared to sanitary products.
    As an extreme example if a parent was a smoker, then it’s the cigarettes they can’t afford not the sanitary products.

Obviously genuine cases should be looked after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I think my main issue is the 50% can’t afford them and my thought process that it’s down to money going on items that would be considered luxury when compared to sanitary products.
    As an extreme example if a parent was a smoker, then it’s the cigarettes they can’t afford not the sanitary products.

Obviously genuine cases should be looked after.

Well then, you get into asking children awkward questions. I can tell you that 11 year old menstruating me would have been mortified about being asked whether I had access to sanitary products.

And if the child’s parent is spending the money on cigarettes instead, that’s not the child’s fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think ultra wokeism of the year so far is that lesbian Ellen Page married a lady some time back and then lesbian Ellen Page became man Eliott Page (straight man, gay man, who knows!) and now the lady who married Ellen Page in the first place is divorcing Elliott Page, because, well, as a lesbian she married a woman but found herself quite unexpectedly with a man.

Can you get divorced from someone you never married in the first place?

Anyway, if you can get your head around THAT amount of four dimensional wokeness without meeting yourself coming backwards, you're a better person than I.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I think ultra wokeism of the year so far is that lesbian Ellen Page married a lady some time back and then lesbian Ellen Page became man Eliott Page (straight man, gay man, who knows!) and now the lady who married Ellen Page in the first place is divorcing Elliott Page, because, well, as a lesbian she married a woman but found herself quite unexpectedly with a man.

Can you get divorced from someone you never married in the first place?

Anyway, if you can get your head around THAT amount of four dimensional wokeness without meeting yourself coming backwards, you're a better person than I.

Of course , they married that someone in the first place. Medical advances can alter the physical, but the mind/personality is something else entirely.

Which, let's face it, is the crux of the whole trans debate for most non-trans people. You can change your 'bits', but you're still a man inside your head, complete with a lifetime of male experience, no matter how much you identify as a woman, or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Because a teenager can at least do some part-time work: baby-sitting, dog-sitting etc. People don’t generally give those jobs to 11 year olds.

You see no issue with a 10 or 11 year old getting their period and having no access to money or sanitary products? How do you think they should procure them?

Children SHOULD be getting those things from their parents. However, some aren’t. Shall we let those children suffer whilst we say “should woulda coulda”? I find it most curious that some people think that children should pay for the sins of their parents.

Children should be taken into care if the parents are incapable of dealing with their hygiene needs. Tesco has sanitary towels for as little as €0.45 for a pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Woke-ism another cringey Americanism people are using nowadays thinking they are cool. The new snowflake. I wonder what the next buzz word will be. Surely fox news or some other American bleep will coin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Woke-ism another cringey Americanism people are using nowadays thinking they are cool. The new snowflake. I wonder what the next buzz word will be. Surely fox news or some other American bleep will coin it.

It was term used to help highlight racial inequality and the US alt right turned it into a derogatory term to encompass basically everything they don't like lol

rossie1977 wrote: »
    It was term used to help highlight racial inequality and the US alt right turned it into a derogatory term to encompass basically everything they don't like lol

Nah. The woke left managed to alienate everyone they didn't agree with, creating a hostility to the idea of being "woke", which is associated with illogical people who are overly aggressive, constant victimhood and intolerance of differing opinions.

It might (and I mean might) have started with good intentions, but it has been used to encourage expanding the divisions in society.

Probably the reason why many people consider "woke" to be only a few steps away from Fascism, Communism, or whatever group who likes to burn heretics for being different.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭COVID

46 Long wrote: »
    Children should be taken into care if the parents are incapable of dealing with their hygiene needs. Tesco has sanitary towels for as little as €0.45 for a pack.

And bring back the Magdalene laundries for the parents too, that'll teach 'em.

Nah. The woke left managed to alienate everyone they didn't agree with, creating a hostility to the idea of being "woke", which is associated with illogical people who are overly aggressive, constant victimhood and intolerance of differing opinions.

It might (and I mean might) have started with good intentions, but it has been used to encourage expanding the divisions in society.

Probably the reason why many people consider "woke" to be only a few steps away from Fascism, Communism, or whatever group who likes to burn heretics for being different.

God what a load of ****e. I can't believe Irish people speak like this now. You're watching or reading too much American ****e. Under no circumstances did you form that opinion based off your day to day life in Ireland.

That way of going on would fry your head. A good kick up the hole as my grandmother used to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

God what a load of ****e. I can't believe Irish people speak like this now. You're watching or reading too much American ****e. Under no circumstances did you form that opinion based off your day to day life in Ireland.

That way of going on would fry your head. A good kick up the hole as my grandmother used to say.

Unfortunately it's the reality, Irish culure like it or not is downstream from American culture, what happens there will sooner or later come here.

You can pretend it doesn't exist, but that's burying your head in the sand.

well, sorry to shock you but many Irish people have traveled/lived extensively abroad. Perhaps you should take a step outside your neighborhood and understand how the world has changed while you've been pruning your rose bushes?

As for how I "spoke" or wrote... there's nothing bizarre about the vocabulary used.. so I'm at a bit of a loss as to why you're going ape**** over it.

In any case, has anyone suggested that this woke nonsense is part of day-to-day Irish life? I certainly haven't. It's pretty obvious that most of this is still centered on the Internet/Social media, and the US (It's becoming more common in the UK, and Australia too though).

So... perhaps go nuts over what people have said as opposed to what you want them to say. :rolleyes:

Sure, which is why most woke people are considered to be nutty.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭R.F.

Stop listening to Ben Shapiro

R.F. wrote: »
    Stop listening to Ben Shapiro

I don't.

The attitudes represented on this thread are decidedly odd sometimes.

well, sorry to shock you but many Irish people have traveled/lived extensively abroad. Perhaps you should take a step outside your neighborhood and understand how the world has changed while you've been pruning your rose bushes?

As for how I "spoke" or wrote... there's nothing bizarre about the vocabulary used.. so I'm at a bit of a loss as to why you're going ape**** over it.

In any case, has anyone suggested that this woke nonsense is part of day-to-day Irish life? I certainly haven't. It's pretty obvious that most of this is still centered on the Internet/Social media, and the US (It's becoming more common in the UK, and Australia too though).

So... perhaps go nuts over what people have said as opposed to what you want them to say. :rolleyes:

Sure, which is why most woke people are considered to be nutty.

God. You're even giving us the American spelling of neighbourhood now as well.

I've also lived abroad. I didn't turn in to a dose of ****e.

So you've formed this opinion from social media good grief.

You sounded like one of those nut jobs from the US, the deranged type on the opposite side of your "woke" and just parroted a load of absolute ****e laden with buzzwords and bs, you haven't even experienced it here or elsewhere, just in an imaginative sense from what crap you consumed online. Nutty indeed.

My granny was speaking about you.

Anyway with covid being rampant I've had enough of doses. Slan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Disney Plus removed Dumbo, Peter Pan, The Aristocats and Swiss Family Robinson from the kids section....

https://www.buzz.ie/movies-tv/disney-blocks-peter-pan-and-dumbo-from-kids-due-to-harmful-stereotypes-414510

Pocahontas will be next, if it's not gone already

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Disney Plus removed Dumbo, Peter Pan, The Aristocats and Swiss Family Robinson from the kids section....

https://www.buzz.ie/movies-tv/disney-blocks-peter-pan-and-dumbo-from-kids-due-to-harmful-stereotypes-414510

Pocahontas will be next, if it's not gone already

We’ve got Disney+ here. To be honest, it’s basically all a “kid’s section”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The reason why after Capitalism's worst decade in a century, after a pandemic which highlights the need for better social healthcare, as the majority stand still economically in most of the western world the Left is largely politically dead in Europe and elsewhere.

At it's most basic a lot of people in the Left have to stop being horrible twats to their party colleagues, their voting base and target voters.

Forget the opposition or alt right, just stop being poisonous to those 3.

That's not going to happen.

God. You're even giving us the American spelling of neighbourhood now as well.

haha... you really have problems. But sure, my spelling has been Americanized, because I've taught American English abroad.
    I've also lived abroad. I didn't turn in to a dose of ****e.

Strangely enough, based on the manner of your responses so far... you have.
    So you've formed this opinion from social media good grief.

Nope. Once again, you've shown your complete inability to read what people have written, and instead, go off on a tangent of your own making.

Hilarious.
    You sounded like one of those nut jobs from the US, the deranged type on the opposite side of your "woke" and just parroted a load of absolute ****e laden with buzzwords and bs, you haven't even experienced it here or elsewhere, just in an imaginative sense from what crap you consumed online. Nutty indeed.

Um.. what buzzwords did I use? Any woke specific terminology? err... none?
    My granny was speaking about you.

Anyway with covid being rampant I've had enough of doses. Slan

It seems that your granny should have applied more of that reasoning to you, and your 'doses'.

TBH you're doing an amazing impression of an outraged woke American blowing everything out of proportion... :pac:

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    The reason why after Capitalism's worst decade in a century, after a pandemic which highlights the need for better social healthcare, as the majority stand still economically in most of the western world the Left is largely politically dead in Europe and elsewhere.

At it's most basic a lot of people in the Left have to stop being horrible twats to their party colleagues, their voting base and target voters.

Forget the opposition or alt right, just stop being poisonous to those 3.

That's not going to happen.

There's a difference between the political left, and the social left, which is what the woke movement consists of. But, sure, politics has turned into a cesspit of behaviors.

As for capitalism's worst decade, that's due to failed economic models, and the application of dodgy financial ideas. Debt financing is a cancer in western business, just as the debt bubble was for banks. Short term gains for long term downfall. Capitalism is suffering because hard lessons weren't learned, but were merely shifted across industries. The same can be said regarding social policy, where failed systems were simply applied to other concerns, thinking it'll be different this time, even though the same practices/processes were applied.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement