Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

I dont see any function for it tbh......when was last time medievil poetry made any difference to anyones life in the last 400 or so years?

Meh I guess we’ll just disagree on that, I think knowledge or learning has value in and of itself. Studying such texts can aid development of other skills beyond interpretating old texts.

And this is from someone with what would generally considered a very “practical” degree

is medievil poetry not just as pointless though??

Swopping one pure waste of time for another

Yes and no. For many who want to become writers, the 'classics' and a structural breakdown of the methodology can be of great help. It's also worth bearing in mind that Literature is often a very good way to get a PHD and enter university employment. Many of the greatest works, and sagas came from the Medieval period. Generally not my kind of thing, but it's an interesting period for literature nonetheless.

So... no, I wouldn't call it a complete waste of time, but definitely something of a niche qualification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

George R. R. Martin based A Song of Ice and Fire on the Wars of the Roses, fifteenth-century civil wars between the houses of Plantagenet and Lancaster for control of the throne of England. If Martin hadn't learned about the Wars of the Roses because he was pursuing a decolonized curriculum devoted to race, gender, and sexuality, he probably never would have written those books, and millions of people wouldn't have enjoyed the TV series based on them.

History matters. Literature matters. Art and music matter. It's odd to see some of the greatest aesthetic accomplishments of Western civilization assailed on one side by the woke brigade that wants to find everything offensive, and on the other side by the utilitarian brigade that sees no value in anything that isn't practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭randd1

I dont see any function for it tbh......when was last time medievil poetry made any difference to anyones life in the last 400 or so years?

People study it for various reasons; to understand the history of the language, the fact that they've been around for hundreds of years and still hold their appeal, a more free writing style where anything goes etc.

It mightn't be relevant to modern life per se, but if you're looking to earn a degree in English or any language, or indeed literature, studying historical texts would probably be essential for context.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I think ultra wokeism of the year so far is that lesbian Ellen Page married a lady some time back and then lesbian Ellen Page became man Eliott Page (straight man, gay man, who knows!) and now the lady who married Ellen Page in the first place is divorcing Elliott Page, because, well, as a lesbian she married a woman but found herself quite unexpectedly with a man.

Can you get divorced from someone you never married in the first place?

Anyway, if you can get your head around THAT amount of four dimensional wokeness without meeting yourself coming backwards, you're a better person than I.

My missus was trying to explain this whole saga to me yesterday. I literally ended up at a complete loss - so I get that Ellen Page was a woman, but now is a man (or at least believes she is), but was she/he married to a woman (and therefore presumably gay) and now she is a man, the (also presumably gay) wife wants a divorce because if she is now married to a man, and she is gay, then that isn't her cup of tea?

What inclination would she/he be now? A lesbian? A straight man? A gay man?

How in the name of Jaysus do these people keep up with this stuff on a day to day basis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭randd1

RandRuns wrote: »
    My missus was trying to explain this whole saga to me yesterday. I literally ended up at a complete loss - so I get that Ellen Page was a woman, but now is a man (or at least believes she is), but was she/he married to a woman (and therefore presumably gay) and now she is a man, the (also presumably gay) wife wants a divorce because if she is now married to a man, and she is gay, then that isn't her cup of tea?

What inclination would she/he be now? A lesbian? A straight man? A gay man?

How in the name of Jaysus do these people keep up with this stuff on a day to day basis?

Imagine if they threw in being gender-fluid into the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

randd1 wrote: »
    Imagine if they threw in being gender-fluid into the mix.

Throwing gender fluid into the mix sounds like something you'd do to get a nice effect in the plaster for a wall render :D

The wokism is starting to look more and more like the Mouse Utopia experiment, where people are now starting to turn on each other without any real reason.

The conclusion about the "die off stage" is of course completely wrong (as of the 21st century), however most other parts relating to behaviour are close to what we're seeing in people today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Colm O'Gorman retweeted this from Amnesty .... :D

Es1iRp2XMAEnQK2?format=jpg&name=large
    knjbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Colm O'Gormless :rolleyes:

Alls it takes is a small amount of people to push this rubbish.

Then there will be plenty who will go along with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

women, girls and people who can become pregnant
    I wonder who the third group is?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Biker79 wrote: »
    Then there will be plenty who will go along with it.

With reproductive rights?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

If you were pro-Trump - the left won't be happy until you are buried.

image.jpgimage.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

biko wrote: »

image.jpgimage.jpg

The miracle of the free market, people are free not to avail of the services of whoever they choose. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Invidious wrote: »
    George R. R. Martin based A Song of Ice and Fire on the Wars of the Roses, fifteenth-century civil wars between the houses of Plantagenet and Lancaster for control of the throne of England. If Martin hadn't learned about the Wars of the Roses because he was pursuing a decolonized curriculum devoted to race, gender, and sexuality, he probably never would have written those books, and millions of people wouldn't have enjoyed the TV series based on them.

History matters. Literature matters. Art and music matter. It's odd to see some of the greatest aesthetic accomplishments of Western civilization assailed on one side by the woke brigade that wants to find everything offensive, and on the other side by the utilitarian brigade that sees no value in anything that isn't practical.

Well said.

I doubt ol’ Shaky Willy (as my Leaving Cert English teacher called him. :D) held views completely in line with today’s social mores and I shudder to think of a world where he is not taught.

I felt genuinely so sad when I heard that some US school districts have dropped ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’ from the curriculum because some of the language was deemed offensive. That’s a canon text, FFS! I mean, let’s just ignore the book’s message. :rolleyes: And let’s also patronise black kids by assuming that they won’t be able to parse the book and its message. Let’s give them no credit at all. It’s not only divisive bullshit, it’s condescending too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

With reproductive rights?

With woke-isms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

image.jpgimage.jpg

These people really make me feel like I'm from a different planet sometimes. For the life of me I just can't understand the vindictive urge to boycott and 'cancel' someone with different politics than my own. I assume the companies I buy products and services from aren't out burning crosses at the weekend but beyond that I don't care who they vote for and don't have any interest in their thoughts on the latest social justice bandwagon.

46 Long wrote: »
    These people really make me feel like I'm from a different planet sometimes. For the life of me I just can't understand the vindictive urge to boycott and 'cancel' someone with different politics than my own. I assume the companies I buy products and services from aren't out burning crosses at the weekend but beyond that I don't care who they vote for and don't have any interest in their thoughts on the latest social justice bandwagon.

And if you found out they were burning crosses on the weekend would you boycott them?

46 Long wrote: »

I feel the same about retailers. Just sell me things I need please. I’m not looking to you for moral guidance.

Colm O'Gorman retweeted this from Amnesty .... :D

Es1iRp2XMAEnQK2?format=jpg&name=large
    knjbh

At least Amnesty is actually naming women and girls now. A few weeks ago, it was just ‘pregnant people’. This new version sounds pretty silly but I don’t have much problem with it as it’s better than what went before. And it kind of highlights the absurdity all by itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

At least Amnesty is actually naming women and girls now. A few weeks ago, it was just ‘pregnant people’. This new version sounds pretty silly but I don’t have much problem with it as it’s better than what went before. And it kind of highlights the absurdity all by itself.

Or " birthing people" as one college in the states called it recently , incase it upset men who can get pregnant now

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭DaithiMa

You've heard of feminism, racism, sexism and definitely wokeism, among many other isms. Now it's time for Speciesism...

https://twitter.com/peta/status/1354591276788838412

Why no mention of the poor aul Brown Trout?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

^^^
    Donkeys

Same thing, bit easier to read. https://i.imgur.com/FwFLLFK.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Es2ixsFXUAIBHbP?format=jpg&name=medium
    nlknk

Im not sitting in or on a urinal

If they were real men they'd try to do it standing up anyway and work on their aim..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

That arm's well in there, whatever Jamey's at it ain't peeing, that's an I'm doing other stuff smile.

Also, want to fit in with your cisgender friends? 1. Stop calling them that. 2. Stop going to the bog with them, your not a girl anymore, remember.

Es2ixsFXUAIBHbP?format=jpg&name=medium
    nlknk

One minute of Googling revealed that this is a parodic meme from 4Chan.

It’s almost funny that lazy transphobes are foaming at the mouth to abuse trans people to such a degree that they believe memes mocking trans people are from real articles. Pathetic.

And if you found out they were burning crosses on the weekend would you boycott them?
    It must be extra woke when one has make wild guesses to support some sort of argument one have.

For all you know they could all be helping out at soup kitchens and saving kittens at the weekend.

It must be extra woke when one has make wild guesses to support some sort of argument one have.

For all you know they could all be helping out at soup kitchens and saving kittens at the weekend.

I was asking a question, pal, and a good one at that. Don’t take it out on me when you can’t tell what a question is.

The snowflakes on the far right needs to stop playing the victim all the time.

• Advertisement

I was asking a question, pal, and a good one at that. Don’t take it out on me when you can’t tell what a question is.

The snowflakes on the far right needs to stop playing the victim all the time.

Meh I’ve no skin in this but I’ll just mention I don’t think yours was a good question, it was fairly reductio ad absurdum tbh - I don’t like Trump but there’s quite a lot of distance between donating to him and burning crosses in someone’s front garden. Hence it’s kind of a pointless (and silly, if you don’t mind me saying) analogy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement