Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

And if you found out they were burning crosses on the weekend would you boycott them?

Depends, would there be hoods and chanting, or would it just be a casual affair, with beer and some lad playing guitar?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

The snowflakes on the far right needs to stop playing the victim all the time.

The wokies need to stop asking loaded questions all the time.
    If a person have conservative right leaning views it does not mean they are racist bigots. Trump was voted by 70 million people that can't be all weekend cross burners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

One minute of Googling revealed that this is a parodic meme from 4Chan.

Poe's law in action!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

Meh I’ve no skin in this but I’ll just mention I don’t think yours was a good question, it was fairly reductio ad absurdum tbh - I don’t like Trump but there’s quite a lot of distance between donating to him and burning crosses in someone’s front garden. Hence it’s kind of a pointless (and silly, if you don’t mind me saying) analogy.
    It was a perfectly fine question considering that that poster brought up the burning crosses. I found their comment a bit too ambiguous to be honest.

I'm also genuinely interested to know what the line is exactly regarding personal choice for the consumer, and why they think they can pour scorn on individuals choosing to boycott Trump supporters. Isn't that the benefit of the miraculous free market and the marketplace of ideas? That individuals are free to choose whichever service they prefer.

Biko those are rhetorical questions by the way, I'm making fun of you.

Sky King wrote: »
    Poe's law in action!
    Does Poe's Law refer to "cringe boomers making a tit out of themselves?" Because that's what happened.

• Advertisement

Does Poe's Law refer to "cringe boomers making a tit out of themselves?" Because that's what happened.

Irish adults using the word "boomer" are the equivalent of those teenagers 20 years ago that feigned Australian accents because of Home and Away.

RandRuns wrote: »
    Irish adults using the word "boomer" are the equivalent of those teenagers 20 years ago that feigned Australian accents because of Home and Away.
    haha good one. You're really winning this argument.

The snowflakes on the far right needs to stop playing the victim all the time.

I really wish people/posters would stop referring to the 'Far right' every time they meet a disagreement. It's so bloody tedious, considering how little influence the 'far right' has across the western world.. If they were the boogeymen that people want them to be, wouldn't most countries be controlled by them? (hint: they're not)

It's just so simplistic and childish (Yup, I feel the same way about blaming the left for everything else, although the left generally does have far more direct influence in western societies)

I really wish people/posters would stop referring to the 'Far right' every time they meet a disagreement. It's so bloody tedious, considering how little influence the 'far right' has across the western world.. If they were the boogeymen that people want them to be, wouldn't most countries be controlled by them? (hint: they're not)

It's just so simplistic and childish (Yup, I feel the same way about blaming the left for everything else, although the left generally does have far more direct influence in western societies)
    Well I'm speaking specifically about the majority of the posters in this particular thread: I think it's fair to say that a thread full of people foaming at the mouth about "wokies" would be choc-a-bloc with right-wing snowflakes.

haha good one. You're really winning this argument.

Argument?

"cringe boomers" "snowflakes" "burning crosses"

You're not arguing, just flinging out buzzwords in the hope that someone will engage, rather than just ignore you, or mock you, which is what your output deserves.

I subscribe to the Mark Twain solution with people like you, "Never wrestle with a pig, you'll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it"

• Advertisement

Well I'm speaking specifically about the majority of the posters in this particular thread: I think it's fair to say that a thread full of people foaming at the mouth about "wokies" would be choc-a-bloc with right-wing snowflakes.

Hardly. I think you need to consider (and perhaps view) some real 'right-wing' beliefs.. because most of the views on this thread would closest to being conservative (the middle, which is representative of Irish people actually).

Just because they disagree with you, doesn't make them (and me) right wing. Although I do find it interesting that you find the need to throw "snowflake" around quite so much.. My guess is that you're projecting.

RandRuns wrote: »
    Argument?

"cringe boomers" "snowflakes" "burning crosses"

You're not arguing, just flinging out buzzwords in the hope that someone will engage, rather than just ignore you, or mock you, which is what your output deserves.

I subscribe to the Mark Twain solution with people like you, "Never wrestle with a pig, you'll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it"
    And yet here you are, oinking away.

Note that I didn't bring up burning crosses, another poster did. And you're the one slinging mud about Aussie accents so don't play the victim with me, chum.

Ultimately that's the tactic for the right-wingers in this forum: fling as much mud as they can towards the "woke" "lefties" and see how much of it sticks. Then if they get a taste of their own medicine back they start whining about buzzwords, claim their opponents needs to be more civil and say they're the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is lefties using "snowflakes" similar to gay people trying to be "proud boys"?
    Can't make up your own terminology so have to "borrow"?

What's next - "the right can't meme"?

biko wrote: »
    Is lefties using "snowflakes" similar to gay people trying to be "proud boys"?
    Can't make up your own terminology so have to "borrow"?

That or, if one is a leftie, the term "snowflake" stings like almost nothing else, because it's true. So when you want to get at someone else, you use the word that hurts you so much, under the mistaken apprehension that it will hurt them as much as it hurt you.

Fine, ignore the points I made about boycotting the Trump supporter being a feature of free market capitalism and the marketplace of ideas and keep posting over and over again about how you’re like totally cool with being called a snowflake and you don’t care at all and it probably bothers me more than it bothers you I know you are but what am I. Maybe you can even rise above getting personal by saying I’m sexually frustrated haha. Keep it civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

because most of the views on this thread would closest to being conservative (the middle, which is representative of Irish people actually)..

A ridiculous statement. Risible. The majority of views on this thread are nowhere near “the middle”.

Angry men, with a couple of Aunt Lydia types, trawling through twitter, and other message board sites, looking for something to get upset about, under the guise of “laughing”.

You even have users posting up fake stories designed to get other, desperate contributors, their irate “fix”.

This thread is a blight on AH and should be blasted off into “Current Affairs” where it belongs.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This thread is a blight on AH and should be blasted off into “Current Affairs” where it belongs.

And yet you’re consistently here “contributing” to the thread thereby keeping it “flowing” and “visible”.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Is that your analysis?
    That people in this thread putting up links and referencing happenings around the would that they disagree with and consider to be the result of "wokeness", must be "far right and snowflakes"?

I guess, by that logic, that it would mean that you must personally agree with every bit of "wokeness", that has been put in this thread to be ridiculed, as something that is necessary in the world rather than being laughed at?

Or are you just trying to poke with a stick for schitts and giggles?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Seems like you want everything on boards your way?
    I notice some threads you and your "dudes" dislike, get locked, deleted or moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭COVID

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    Seems like you want everything on boards your way?
    I notice some threads you and your "dudes" dislike, get locked, deleted or moved.

Conspiracy Theories Forum, that way >

• Advertisement

A ridiculous statement. Risible. The majority of views on this thread are nowhere near “the middle”.

Conservative. The middle. Which it is, and the majority here are against the desired changes that are hitting society, mostly in the US, but which has the potential to make it's presence felt here.

Most of the posters here seem to want a more stable society, without the eccentric nonsense coming from the US.
    Angry men, with a couple of Aunt Lydia types, trawling through twitter, and other message board sites, looking for something to get upset about, under the guise of “laughing”.

You even have users posting up fake stories designed to get other, desperate contributors, their irate “fix”.

Ahh well, you've shown your willingness to support a variety of this woke nonsense, so... yeah.. I'm not terribly surprised at the desire to shut down the thread, and cast judgement on the posters.

Yes, That is usually the comment you would expect when someone is losing the argument, make it disappear.
    I'm sure it will be reported soon in the hope it will be locked as well.

Fine, ignore the points I made about boycotting the Trump supporter being a feature of free market capitalism

Because it's not - it's discrimination based on political views.
    Just as it's not acceptable to boycott a business if the owners are black or muslims it should not be acceptable to boycott a business if the owner is a conservative Trump supporter.

Cordell wrote: »
    Because it's not - it's discrimination based on political views.
    Just as it's not acceptable to boycott a business if the owners are black or muslims it should not be acceptable to boycott a business if the owner is a conservative Trump supporter.

Being black or a Muslim isn’t a political view. Are you equating choosing not to support a Trump supporter with racism? Before you say “being a Muslim isn’t a race” explain to me how you would know a business owner is a Muslim in this context.

Anyway don’t you think individuals should be free to boycott a business owner for their political views and go somewhere else? I certainly do.

Being black or a Muslim isn’t a political view. Are you equating choosing not to support a Trump supporter with racism? Before you say “being a Muslim isn’t a race” explain to me how you would know a business owner is a Muslim in this context.
    Being of one religion, just like having a political preference, is not the same as being born black. You are not born woke, you are not born conservative, you are not born muslim.
    How would you know the owner is a Trump supporter?
    Anyway don’t you think individuals should be free to boycott a business owner for their political views and go somewhere else? I certainly do.

Should they be free to boycott a business owner for its religion? What is the difference, why is the political view good grounds for boycott and religion isn't? Who draws the line?

Being of one religion, just like having a political preference, is not the same as being born black. You are not born woke, you are not born conservative, you are not born muslim.
    How would you know the owner is a Trump supporter?

Should they be free to boycott a business owner for its religion? What is the difference, why is the political view good grounds for boycott and religion isn't? Who draws the line?

In the spirit of discussion I won’t answer any of your questions unless you answer mine. It’s kind of the point of a discussion forum.

In the spirit of discussion I won’t answer any of your questions unless you answer mine. It’s kind of the point of a discussion forum.

I assume it this one:

Yes, anyone should be free to not give their custom to any business for any reason whatsoever (including race).

But also they should be held responsible if they call others to do the same. Not liking someone is fine, calling for others to show their dislike is not. Would you agree?

I assume it this one:

Yes, anyone should be free to not give their custom to any business for any reason whatsoever (including race).

But also they should be held responsible if they call others to do the same. Not liking someone is fine, calling for others to show their dislike is not. Would you agree?

No I wouldn’t, it doesn’t make any sense. How can you hold an individual responsible for boycotting a company?

For example I am personally boycotting Amazon and Sports Direct because of how they treat their workers, how can I possibly be held responsible for that? What is anyone going to do, punish me? How? It’s absurd.

Back to the posters criticising people boycotting the Trump supporter: tough tits for anyone who doesn’t like it but that’s life. You can’t have everything go your way all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not liking someone is fine, calling for others to show their dislike is not. Would you agree?
    Antifa has been picketing Powell's Portland bookshop in order to force them stop selling Andy Ngo's about Antifa, "Unmasked".

Decades ago Powell's received credible bomb threats for selling the work of Salman Rushdie, but they didn't relent.

To Antifa they rolled over - radical leftists has more power than radical islamists.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Antifa has been picketing Powell's Portland bookshop in order to force them stop selling Andy Ngo's about Antifa, "Unmasked".

Decades ago Powell's received credible bomb threats for selling the work of Salman Rushdie, but they didn't relent.

To Antifa they rolled over - radical leftists has more power than radical islamists.

A non-violent protest succeeds what the threat of violence could not. A victory for freedom of speech. The system works.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement