Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

biko wrote: »
    Lovely crowd. News of that the shop had to evacuate customers through the back made it all the way to Australia.

The irony of it is , he'll sell more books now , go antifa...how did I know there's always someone with pink or blue hair protesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I wouldn't bother engaging. Dragging the thread way off topic and turning it into a mess of tit for tat bickering is their tactic to get the thread locked. That's why these types always post in packs.
    Yup, a few spicy stormtroopers the last day or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

Did the market tell them that? A picket isn’t indicative. Anyway, these protests are often counter-productive, resulting in more people being aware of the book than if the protest hadn’t occurred.
    Well the protest was about that shop selling the book, not about nobody reading it anywhere. So it doesn't matter if "more people are aware of it."

Also a picket is indicative of the market. Local people picketing their local bookshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

Hitler was imprisoned for being the leader of a failed coup that killed 20 people, not for "his opinions."

Which is why I didn't say he was......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Rupert Murdoch is not Jewish.
    Hmm, seems you're right https://matzav.com/rupert-murdoch-i-am-not-jewish-but.
    Thanks for correcting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

Well the protest was about that shop selling the book, not about nobody reading it anywhere. So it doesn't matter if "more people are aware of it."

Also a picket is indicative of the market. Local people picketing their local bookshop.

Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

A picket can be five people. Indeed it can be two people. And in an urban area, it would need to be a big crowd to give any indication of it being a widely shared sentiment in that location. I’m not hearing many voices in that clip. (Portland population: 645,000 - similar to Dublin. That picket in Dublin would tell me precisely nothing about the general population’s feeling on the book). Indicative of the market? Sure, Jan.

But the publicity will probably boost the book’s sales. Numpties.

Hmm, seems you're right https://matzav.com/rupert-murdoch-i-am-not-jewish-but.
    Thanks for correcting that.

You should apologise to me for insinuating that I was being anti-Semitic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Local rich kid tossers are not the demographic it was for. Their picket shouldn't matter, they can still picket, not just because their daddy's lawyer is backing them but because people have a right to.

People should also be allowed buy books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Here's something that will blow your mind, I'm on the left and love having a laugh at ridiculous far left ideology. It's almost at if everything isn't black or white and there's actual nuance in the world? Mad really.

Now if you'd excuse me I'm off to practice not calling people "pigs" anymore incase actual pigs get their feelings hurt.

There are probably more Left leaning people driving this thread than right leaning.

Danzy wrote: »
    Local rich kid tossers are not the demographic it was for. Their picket shouldn't matter, they can still picket, not just because their daddy's lawyer is backing them but because people have a right to.

People should also be allowed buy books.

People are allowed to buy books. The book is still available to buy, even from that retailer’s own website.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭AllForIt

....The book is still available to buy, even from that retailer’s own website.

Then what difference does it make if a retailer stocks it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

A ridiculous statement. Risible. The majority of views on this thread are nowhere near “the middle”.

Angry men, with a couple of Aunt Lydia types, trawling through twitter, and other message board sites, looking for something to get upset about, under the guise of “laughing”.

You even have users posting up fake stories designed to get other, desperate contributors, their irate “fix”.

This thread is a blight on AH and should be blasted off into “Current Affairs” where it belongs.

Mod
    Don't like it!

Don't post in it again

Yeah sorry about that. I was sure he was Jewish and it did sound like you were going all conspiracy theory on him.
    Yeah the Murdochs made sure they saw it in Australia alright. It’s in their best interests.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Then what difference does it make if a retailer stocks it.

I don’t know, I don’t care if they sell it or not.

I’m only responding to these ideas that the protests were somehow comparable with the atrocities in Nazi Germany.

You need to calm down.

Mod

Listen to your own advise & knock the aggressive posting levels down a notch if you want to continue posting here.

Mod

Things have been getting very heated here.

Can everyone relax.

There has been multiple cards handed out & posted deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don’t know, I don’t care if they sell it or not.

I’m only responding to these ideas that the protests were somehow comparable with the atrocities in Nazi Germany.

To follow on from my point, since it makes no difference whether the store stocks the book or not then what they are doing is harassing the store owner and identifying them as an enemy in their community. Maybe not Nazi level activities but not admirable peaceful protesting either. Actually I think they're pure scum, I don't why I'm holding back.

It's simple enough. We have laws. We also have government agencies who will monitor what books are published and can censor material should they determine it's dangerous for society. It's kinda funny because the people wanting to prevent the sale of this book, will likely be the people who'd complain about their own interests being regulated.

We don't need private citizens deciding what others should or should not read. Fine. Make suggestions on a website. Pay for an article in a newspaper or magazine. Make your opinions known in such a manner, that those who want to listen, can listen.

But this protesting in front of a store.. no.. I don't like it. Antifa have been up repeatedly for violence being associated with their protests. They have a reputation, and even when they do protest peacefully, that reputation serves to intimidate others. And that's wrong. Utterly.

I don't like this desire by various groups to censor information, and control the behavior of others. I've seen "the culture of silence", and the fear that happens in China, where people are afraid to voice their opinions, because of who, in society, might possibly, find some nugget of controversy to get the speaker in trouble. It's horrible.. and Antifa (and others) are encouraging such a culture to become established in the West. Not coming from the government, but by militant groups.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

The irony, of course, is that by kicking up such a fuss over this book, and trying to prevent people from buying or reading it, they're only generating publicity around it. The book will get far more attention thanks to its would-be censors.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I don’t really fancy withholding period products from preteen girls, do you?

There’s people who can’t afford school books and clothes so period products are definitely on the list too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

This thread used to be better when it was just posting the over-woke nonsense. I wish it was like that again.

This thread used to be better when it was just posting the over-woke nonsense. I wish it was like that again.

A safe space? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

A safe space? :D

Yawn

I'll try :)

https://twitter.com/ReaICosy/status/1355634035238842373?s=20

What’s “woke” about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Aodhan O'Riordan reminding us that if he caught me in bed with his wife he would ask if I wanted a go on his sister when I was finished:

https://twitter.com/AodhanORiordain/status/1161676012071137280

Imagine this fella being your dad.

• Advertisement

I'll try :)

Ah.. they're just ripping that off..

That was done a few years ago..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement