Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You're a troll

More like a parody account.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭AllForIt

It is a form of racism to mispronounce an uncommon name.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/yewande-biala-love-island-lucie-donlan-b1792717.html

I'd like to hear Yewande's attempt at pronouncing Aodhán Ó Ríordáin.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

I wonder if she gets any of her Polish friend's names right?
    I know I still don't, but I have seen any articles about Poles being upset in the Independent.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Polish just get on with it. Same as the Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

AllForIt wrote: »

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/yewande-biala-love-island-lucie-donlan-b1792717.html

My name is mispronounced all the time, never knew until now that I was a victim of racism.
    Where do I go to pick up my NGO paycheck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

AllForIt wrote: »

The art of avoiding these microaggressions involve pretending there is no cultural difference while acknowledging the cultural differences. Simple, really.
    Political correctness is just as simple, it is the art of picking up a turd by grabbing its clean end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

It's an easy enough name to pronounce, surely?

Just say in a broad DUP accent...

"If yewande make a complaint, please contact our customer support team."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Cordell wrote: »
    The art of avoiding these microaggressions involve pretending there is no cultural difference while acknowledging the cultural differences. Simple, really.
    Political correctness is just as simple, it is the art of picking up a turd by grabbing its clean end.

I have a very Irish name, its been anglicized like most, and trust me even the anglicized version Irish people can't pronounce it, fail to spell it properly. I do think it is important to pronounce names correctly and I have ask many people to tell me their non-"English" name, because I am aware most people from other countries don't get my first name and nobody has heard of my surname.

Do I get to rant online about this. Yes I do :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Elmo wrote: »
    I have a very Irish name, its been anglicized like most, and trust me even the anglicized version Irish people can't pronounce it, fail to spell it properly. I do think it is important to pronounce names correctly and I have ask many people to tell me their non-"English" name, because I am aware most people from other countries don't get my first name and nobody has heard of my surname.

How hard is it to say 'ell-mo'??? :pac:

I do think it is important to pronounce names correctly

So do I. But then again, if you have a hard to pronounce or spell name, do you get to demand people to go above and beyond to get it right? Or to accuse them of racism if they don't? Why do they need to make special amendments for you?
    It is your name, you have the choice of keeping it, change it, or adopt an easy English/European name like most east asians do.

• Advertisement

I have a very Irish name, its been anglicized like most, and trust me even the anglicized version Irish people can't pronounce it, fail to spell it properly.

A name like Aodhán or Sadhbh is utterly unpronounceable, except by a tiny minority globally who are familiar with the spelling/pronunciation conventions of the Irish language. As you note, even many native born Irish can't get these names right ... so there's just no point in complaining that the French, Germans, English or Americans can't pronounce them or spell them.

The problem is with the names themselves, not with others carrying out so-called "microaggressions" like the Independent claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Never forget
    https://youtu.be/Vnnz8003jXI?t=12

I hear you're a racist now Dennis

I'd be similar except my name hasn't been anglicized at all. TBH I've heard so many pronunciations of the name by Irish people, I'm not quite sure what the proper way to say it is... but for all the variance by Irish people, foreigners butcher it. Generally people think my first name is my surname. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

I'd be similar except my name hasn't been anglicized at all. TBH I've heard so many pronunciations of the name by Irish people, I'm not quite sure what the proper way to say it is... but for all the variance by Irish people, foreigners butcher it. Generally people think my first name is my surname. ;)

I know a lad that had a plain ordinary name growing up, but got notions when he got a bit older, and turned it into an unpronounceable monstronsity of inexplicable consonants and multiple fadas. He gets all riled up when someone pronounces or spells it wrong, which happens all the time, and starts quoting Irish history at them.

RandRuns wrote: »
    I know a lad that had a plain ordinary name growing up, but got notions when he got a bit older, and turned it into an unpronounceable monstronsity of inexplicable consonants and multiple fadas. He gets all riled up when someone pronounces or spells it wrong, which happens all the time, and starts quoting Irish history at them.
    LOL, there are a certain group of Irish parents who insist on giving their children Irish names, that they don't even know how to pronounce themselves.

You see them writing to online forums asking how to pronounce the names...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

If I had a euro for every time my surname was grotesquely pronounced after spelling it out for people I'd be a wealthy man.
    Its very short too.

Same here, I'm a foreigner with an easy non English 4 letter name made out of two vowels and two consonants interleaved. Just a bit harder than names like Lee or Dan. Just a little bit.
    It was misspelled and mispronounced in the most creative ways. Did I take any offence? Did I felt microaggressed? Should I?
    Or should I take a mistake for what is is and nothing more?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,986 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Peta want us to stop using animal based descriptors as slurs on humans.

https://twitter.com/peta/status/1354591276788838412

speciesism :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

https://twitter.com/peta/status/1354591276788838412

speciesism :pac:

bitch is okay though right?

How do we insult people without someone getting upset, but not the person we are trying to upset!

Surely they will also inform the muslim community that it is wrong to describe pigs as unclean? Or will this blow out of proportions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez reveals she is a survivor of sexual assault and compares Republicans to abusers for urging Americans to move on from the insurrection.

https://www.businessinsider.com/aoc-reveals-she-is-a-survivor-of-sexual-assault-while-relaying-insurrection-story-2021-2?r=US&IR=T

She is really scraping the barrel now.

But how, Comrade, are we meant to condemn the capitalist pigs who control the means of production?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Omackeral wrote: »

Most nationalities don't play the poor me card at ever turn . The standard of what's classed as racism today is really bottom of the barrel. We worked a romanian and he had a name that was hard to pronounce so someone started calling him jack . It stuck , he didn't care even his wife calls him jack now . There been a few eastern europeans I've worked with that have had trouble saying my name properly . Looking back on it now maybe they were all racist towards me. I wonder will the Independent do an article about it .

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭COVID

Omackeral wrote: »

Ah, the Poles, a great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

I once heard John Terry say he called team-mate Azpilicueta 'Dave' because he could never remember his name.

Then again, it was John Terry.

Most nationalities don't play the poor me card at ever turn . The standard of what's classed as racism today is really bottom of the barrel. We worked a romanian and he had a name that was hard to pronounce so someone started calling him jack . It stuck , he didn't care even his wife calls him jack now . There been a few eastern europeans I've worked with that have had trouble saying my name properly . Looking back on it now maybe they were all racist towards me. I wonder will the Independent do an article about it .

Haha.. no sorry... The Chinese are masters at playing the victim card, and calling out against perceived racism directed towards them, while throwing out their own racism.. They just have different standards, closer to what we had before this sensitive nonsense began.

I've found that most countries outside of western nations are more practical/pragmatic about racism. It exists, it's not going to disappear entirely any time soon, so why get worked up about it? Most people are polite enough to keep their racism to themselves, either out of cultural norms, or the realisation that they might get their heads bashed in. But there are still heaps of double standards, outright racism against 'others', and preferential treatment given to their own citizens.

Oh.. nobody cares about racism directed against white westerners.. So, I wouldn't expect any articles any time soon, unless it's got a political angle (being anti-CCP or whatever)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Haha.. no sorry... The Chinese are masters at playing the victim card, and calling out against perceived racism directed towards them, while throwing out their own racism.. They just have different standards, closer to what we had before this sensitive nonsense began.

I've found that most countries outside of western nations are more practical/pragmatic about racism. It exists, it's not going to disappear entirely any time soon, so why get worked up about it? Most people are polite enough to keep their racism to themselves, either out of cultural norms, or the realisation that they might get their heads bashed in. But there are still heaps of double standards, outright racism against 'others', and preferential treatment given to their own citizens.

Oh.. nobody cares about racism directed against white westerners.. So, I wouldn't expect any articles any time soon, unless it's got a political angle (being anti-CCP or whatever)

I'm talking more about chinese immigrants rather that their government. Most chinese work hard , keep to themselves and any crime they commit , they keep it in there own community. You won't see to many chinese down the social welfare office looking for houses and children's allowance

I'm talking more about chinese immigrants rather that their government. Most chinese work hard , keep to themselves and any crime they commit , they keep it in there own community. You won't see to many chinese down the social welfare office looking for houses and children's allowance

Nope. That's certainly true.. They've got a very strong family structure, and community spirit.. which will likely distance them from anything woke. For now anyway, not sure how the next generation will be after growing up in the west surrounded by a lot of this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭COVID

SnazzyPig wrote: »
    I once heard John Terry say he called team-mate Azpilicueta 'Dave' because he could never remember his name.

Then again, it was John Terry.

Azpilicueta's first name is César, hardly that difficult to remember.
    And I thought John Terry's reputation for being a bit of a thicko was unfair.
    I'll have to have a rethink now. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Racist media mouth pretzels herself trying to crowbar online challenge into her 'Ireland is a systemic racist sh1thole' shtick.
    https://twitter.com/tobeebayb/status/1356572592606502918

And just to show that this type of thinking is basically a grifters paradise, here's another one of the ' traumatised' in that thread demanding money as proof that someone else is not racist.
    https://twitter.com/tobeebayb/status/1356573421883318276

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement