Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

After almost 20 years i have yet to meet the first Irish (or non Dutch really) person here who does pronounce my name right.
    Meh.

Now spelling my name wrong, while it is in my email signature, does annoy me to no end though

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Racist media mouth pretzels herself trying to crowbar online challenge into her 'Ireland is a systemic racist sh1thole' shtick.
    https://twitter.com/tobeebayb/status/1356572592606502918

I've seen some fair oul reaches by the racism industry freeloaders in recent times, but that one's a doozy.

Bet Ebun and Hazel are at home kicking themselves they didn't think of it.
    Yer wan will get her own show on RTE out of that tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Sorcha Dhuisigh _She_Her_

Racist media mouth pretzels herself trying to crowbar online challenge into her 'Ireland is a systemic racist sh1thole' shtick.

And just to show that this type of thinking is basically a grifters paradise, here's another one of the ' traumatised' in that thread demanding money as proof that someone else is not racist.
    https://twitter.com/tobeebayb/status/1356573421883318276

I actually made a similar point in the thread here and received an infraction for it. I think it's important to not just think about how the video might be seen as positive by the majority. Minority voices need to be listened to as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Look at the new white house spokesperson if you want to see the problem with hiring based on identity politics rather than actual qualifications...

can expect that across the western world, meanwhile China are laughing their ass off and just hiring the best people regardless ....

46 Long wrote: »
    These people really make me feel like I'm from a different planet sometimes. For the life of me I just can't understand the vindictive urge to boycott and 'cancel' someone with different politics than my own. I assume the companies I buy products and services from aren't out burning crosses at the weekend but beyond that I don't care who they vote for and don't have any interest in their thoughts on the latest social justice bandwagon.

Because every day for the last 5 years the MSM have misrepresented Trump as a literal 'worse than Hitler' figure.
    They believe it, these people genuinely believe they are doing the right thing.

The MSM are a disgrace and should be accountable for the lies and misrepresentation of the past 5 years..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

46 Long wrote: »
    These people really make me feel like I'm from a different planet sometimes. For the life of me I just can't understand the vindictive urge to boycott and 'cancel' someone with different politics than my own.

Sadly, this intolerance seems to be hard-wired into the human psyche. We've been through centuries of religious warfare and persecution, marked by an eagerness to burn people at the stake if they believed something mildly contrary to official Church teaching. We've seen the relentless persecution of political dissidents, notably in the Soviet Union and other communist countries, just because they held beliefs that differed from official state ideology.

Once again, intolerance is on the rise, free speech is under threat, and dogmatic ideologues want to dictate what we can and can't say. It's a sad time for genuine liberalism, because the intolerant so-called progressives behind these vindictive cancel culture campaigns are anything but liberal.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

Invidious wrote: »
    Sadly, this intolerance seems to be hard-wired into the human psyche. We've been through centuries of religious warfare and persecution, marked by an eagerness to burn people at the stake if they believed something mildly contrary to official Church teaching. We've seen the relentless persecution of political dissidents, notably in the Soviet Union and other communist countries, just because they held beliefs that differed from official state ideology.

Once again, intolerance is on the rise, free speech is under threat, and dogmatic ideologues want to dictate what we can and can't say. It's a sad time for genuine liberalism, because the intolerant so-called progressives behind these vindictive cancel culture campaigns are anything but liberal.

Very true.

It constantly strikes me how similar the current "progressive" ideology is to the religious zealotry of the past.
    I think human beings are hardwired to believe in something bigger than themselves, and the current wave of political fanaticism is a result of a generation of people brought up to believe that organised religion is evil, therefore, unbeknownst to themselves, they have created a carbon copy of a religion, but without the supreme being at it's centre.

It's funny that the vast majority of prograssives are lound 'n proud athiests, yet act like the worst kind of religious fanatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭randd1

RandRuns wrote: »
    Very true.

It constantly strikes me how similar the current "progressive" ideology is to the religious zealotry of the past.
    I think human beings are hardwired to believe in something bigger than themselves, and the current wave of political fanaticism is a result of a generation of people brought up to believe that organised religion is evil, therefore, unbeknownst to themselves, they have created a carbon copy of a religion, but without the supreme being at it's centre.

It's funny that the vast majority of prograssives are lound 'n proud athiests, yet act like the worst kind of religious fanatic.
    Conservatives are just as bad. The deification of "strong man" leaders, the shut them up, lock her up attitude, the scare-mongering is as prevalent amongst them as it is the progressives.

Most of us would be liberal in some aspects and conservative in others.

The problem is that vast majority of us in the middle don't seem to have anyone that stands up and pushes the common sense agenda that most of us seem to live by, and so we end up with the extremes of both sides being the ones putting forward the arguments, and thus polarizing opinions further.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Look at the new white house spokesperson if you want to see the problem with hiring based on identity politics rather than actual qualifications...

can expect that across the western world, meanwhile China are laughing their ass off and just hiring the best people regardless ....

Jen psaki? What’s the issue there , she ginger?

RandRuns wrote: »
    Very true.

Agreed.

The current progressive ideology is a variant of the Marxist ideology that held sway in the late 19th and 20th centuries -- and so it's naturally anti-capitalist and atheist to the core. Although Marx saw the dialectical nature of history expressed only in class struggle, preaching that the proletariat would eventually liberate itself from the bourgeoisie by way of a communist revolution, the current progressives have expanded Marxist thinking to incorporate the eventual liberation of women, minorities, LGBT individuals, and other oppressed identities from what they see as white male heteronormative imperialism. That, they believe, will happen not only through an economic revolution that redistributes all wealth and economic opportunity, but through a cultural revolution that removes/cancels all "incorrect" thinking.

So, yes, it's political fanaticism ... but it has clear roots in the same political fanaticism we've been through before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Because every day for the last 5 years the MSM have misrepresented Trump as a literal 'worse than Hitler' figure.
    They believe it, these people genuinely believe they are doing the right thing.

The MSM are a disgrace and should be accountable for the lies and misrepresentation of the past 5 years..

I thought cancellation was the preferred route to take?

That's what most "alternative news outlets" call for? No one is interested in changing anything. Fu(k - people are usually too lazy to even challenge assumptions these days.

The problem is that humans don't ever stop. We took the ideas of liberalism, equality, etc and sought their implementation. Grand. In most western nations, at some point, those concepts were applied, and done quite well.. however, they didn't stop there. Everything needs to be improved, because everyone within a society must be included, and provided for, in a "fair" manner. But since many of these concepts remove the boundaries on behavior and thinking that previously held society in check, now, people change pretty quickly, ensuring that the systems has to change to meet their new needs.. (again, the need for every group to be represented and treated in a fair manner, although fair being subjective to each group, means it also needs to change)

Extremes. It's a part of human nature to seek extremes. Normally, we reach the extreme, face some form of total destruction, and back off for a few decades, as we reassess it's application... however, the internet and international migration patterns shifting, have ensured that the extremes return much quicker than before. There's more social proofing going on than ever before, and the ability to reach others (beyond a localised area) is expanding all the time.

Basically, we're fcked. I say that with all seriousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,050 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

And just to show that this type of thinking is basically a grifters paradise, here's another one of the ' traumatised' in that thread demanding money as proof that someone else is not racist.
    https://twitter.com/tobeebayb/status/1356573421883318276
    Whats this BIPOC thing shes on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

US shorthand for Black/Indigenous/PeopleOfColor, like BAME in the UK, Black/Asian/MinorityEthnic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Tom O Neil wrote: »
    Some minority group you're supposed to bow down to and worship.

Lol, is that supposed to be piss taking or ignorance?

Serious question since it's AH and I expect piss taking.

I could be mistaken, but isn't it just a general acronym to cover a bunch of different non white people in US?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Rather than create an unwoke thread I'll stick this here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

auspicious wrote: »
    Rather than create an unwoke thread I'll stick this here.

Ah no, go ahead and create your thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

, the current progressives have expanded Marxist thinking to incorporate the eventual liberation of women, minorities, LGBT individuals,

Yes, very good.

I often wonder how anybody could think that homosexual people are in some way oppressed here, or not "liberated"?

We have Taoiseach, Minister, TDs, newsreaders, successful people who are gay, and fair play to them.

They are not in the least bit oppressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://twitter.com/Johnugwu12/status/1356584015269154816?s=20

The Nigerians trying to appropriate South African music :eek:
    The distance from Nigeria to Ireland is almost the same as Nigeria to SA.

Great song btw, this is the original version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCZVL_8D048

Jen psaki? What’s the issue there , she ginger?

I'll circle back to you on that ...

• Advertisement

They’ve long had meritocratic exams over there. Plenty of Europe also isn’t affected by US racial theories, the French firmly reject them.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

biko wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Johnugwu12/status/1356584015269154816?s=20
    The Nigerians trying to appropriate South African music :eek:
    The distance from Nigeria to Ireland is almost the same as Nigeria to SA.

Isn't assuming someone's taste in music due to their colour a little bit racist?

randd1 wrote: »
    The problem is that vast majority of us in the middle don't seem to have anyone that stands up and pushes the common sense agenda that most of us seem to live by, and so we end up with the extremes of both sides being the ones putting forward the arguments, and thus polarizing opinions further.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Agreed.

The current progressive ideology is a variant of the Marxist ideology that held sway in the late 19th and 20th centuries -- and so it's naturally anti-capitalist and atheist to the core. Although Marx saw the dialectical nature of history expressed only in class struggle, preaching that the proletariat would eventually liberate itself from the bourgeoisie by way of a communist revolution, the current progressives have expanded Marxist thinking to incorporate the eventual liberation of women, minorities, LGBT individuals, and other oppressed identities from what they see as white male heteronormative imperialism. That, they believe, will happen not only through an economic revolution that redistributes all wealth and economic opportunity, but through a cultural revolution that removes/cancels all "incorrect" thinking.

So, yes, it's political fanaticism ... but it has clear roots in the same political fanaticism we've been through before.

The Chinese are a great bunch of lads.

It’s the US we have to thank for the recent rise in racial tensions in this country with their CRT bull crap.

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, very good.

I often wonder how anybody could think that homosexual people are in some way oppressed here, or not "liberated"?

We have Taoiseach, Minister, TDs, newsreaders, successful people who are gay, and fair play to them.

They are not in the least bit oppressed.

I agree, but the fact that we have a gay half-Indian Taoiseach, a woman of color as Lord Mayor of Dublin, an openly lesbian former Minister for Children, etc., doesn't stop the woke from arguing that we live in a society rife with institutionalized racism, sexism, and homophobia. Facts don't matter when you see only what you want to see.

I agree, but the fact that we have a gay half-Indian Taoiseach, a woman of color as Lord Mayor of Dublin, an openly lesbian former Minister for Children, etc., doesn't stop the woke from arguing that we live in a society rife with institutionalized racism, sexism, and homophobia. Facts don't matter when you see only what you want to see.

It's not just that. Think of those who you mentioned, and then a host of other people whose livelihoods or social status is connected to the woke movement. They benefit directly or indirectly from such causes gaining influence. It hardly hurts when minorities gain recognition, diversity quotas, and educational/financial supports...

I'd suggest that many do see the facts or are aware of what's going on. I know that being White helps me to get jobs in China.. It's not the only reason I get those jobs, but it certainly helps at times. For those affected by the woke movements, and how it's changed society, they gain a wide variety of benefits... and many won't have any problem with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

+1

So many companies are rigorously implementing diversity policies. There's never been a better time for equality.

That said, there's never been a worse time for native men from a modest socio -economic background with relatively low educational achievements. They are keeping the methadone clinics and homeless charities very busy - here and in the US.

Wokies are conspicuously quiet about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Facts don't matter to these people in their echo chamber, ever!
    Their arguments are always emotive assertions presented as facts.

Once you see that truth you know arguing with them is mainly pointless, but emotional trawling usually consumes itself in the end, it's nothing but an illusory self identified victim based ponzi scheme.
    The worry is how much damage they'll do to our society before their nonsense is called out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Biker79 wrote: »
    +1

So many companies are rigorously implementing diversity policies. There's never been a better time for equality.

That said, there's never been a worse time for native men from a modest socio -economic background with relatively low educational achievements. They are keeping the methadone clinics and homeless charities very busy - here and in the US.

Wokies are conspicuously quiet about them.

Most wokies and progressives despise the working class, it's a mixture of snobbery and anger that they have not met the expectations of their "betters" and fulfilled their role as workers in struggle with only acceptable views.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    Most wokies and progressives despise the working class, it's a mixture of snobbery and anger that they have not met the expectations of their "betters" and fulfilled their role as workers in struggle with only acceptable views.

The working class have begun to part ways with the Democrats in the USA and Labour in the UK over their woke stances. A lot of working-class people voted for Trump and the Tories in recent years out of frustration that many politicians in so-called working-class parties now seem more concerned with the hypothetical oppression of 0.6% of the population than with the daily struggles of millions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement