Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

Danzy wrote: »
    Most wokies and progressives despise the working class, it's a mixture of snobbery and anger that they have not met the expectations of their "betters" and fulfilled their role as workers in struggle with only acceptable views.

It's not about the working class. For the vast majority of the population in Ireland or most of Europe, that "class" is more to do with personal identification than any real kind of socio-economic group. Considering the range of financial supports, access to third-level education, and the development of career types (along with associated increases in standards of living), it's only a small section of a population who could call itself working class and be accurate about it. I know people who identify as working class, but who are earning (and are more qualified) than many middle class families.

Modern western societies, are typically mostly filled with those who would be middle class. It's how economies and societies have shifted over the decades.

Many movements have chosen to make males and in particular, white males, representative of their oppressed state, and thus, can be marginalised while their own benefits increase. It's simply worse for those males who failed to excel in education (either due to their own habits, or an educational system that increasingly favors girls/women) Even when it's a race/racism issue, women are typically bypassed as targets for supposed guilt.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-55917605

More erasing of history.
    A "derogatory and racist expression" will be removed from the headstones of two music hall singers.

But the gravestones of G H Elliott and Alice Banford, who both wore blackface, will return to the East Sussex graveyard from where they were removed.

They were moved from St Margaret's Church, in Rottingdean, last June due to their "offensive" inscriptions.

Mark Hill QC, Chancellor of the Diocese of Chichester, has now ruled the headstones should be altered.

It comes after the families of both singers were contacted by church officials over the re-engraving.

The performers, who wore blackface up until the 1950s, died in 1962, and their headstones were erected within weeks of each other.

People who were probably forgotten after being dead for nearly 60 years are now shamed for playing a typical music hall routine in the 1960s and earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭AllForIt

This is a personal one.

Yesterday a person came on to me on a dating app. His profile said 'I don't tolerate fascism of any kind'. Pity I deleted my kinky Nazi uniform gear pics I thought. Give him a fright. Blocked.

On the dating app theme, another chap said, and nothing else, - "I don't tolerate those that make fun of the pronoun section", referring to those who fill in something silly in to pronoun section of their profile. Oh well, there's more fish in the sea.

Another chap said "End direct provision - Black Lives Matter".

So I'm noticing this trend in people making political statements on their dating profiles. I mean, do they want the ride or don't they? They're not making it easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

AllForIt wrote: »
    So I'm noticing this trend in people making political statements on their dating profiles. I mean, do they want the ride or don't they? They're not making it easy.

I'd say if you're young, single, and not on-board with the progressive left in Ireland, it's tough to meet anyone to date.

I've tried dating leftists but it just never worked out. I could tolerate their beliefs and voting choices but not vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

biko wrote: »
    Great song btw, this is the original version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCZVL_8D048

It's mediocre crap and would have been long forgotten by now if it wasn't for these viral dance challenges. Just another kiki do you love me or happy, it will be soon replaced with the next viral thing.

• Advertisement

This is a personal one.

Yesterday a person came on to me on a dating app. His profile said 'I don't tolerate fascism of any kind'. Pity I deleted my kinky Nazi uniform gear pics I thought. Give him a fright. Blocked.

On the dating app theme, another chap said, and nothing else, - "I don't tolerate those that make fun of the pronoun section", referring to those who fill in something silly in to pronoun section of their profile. Oh well, there's more fish in the sea.

I think you should contact and dig under the surface as to whether they actually believe this stuff, or if they're "playing to the market". Be interesting.

In my experience, women are far more interested in this stuff than men, and since women typically have more 'value' in dating, I'd imagine that many of these guys are simply ticking boxes in the hopes it gets them something. Dunno though. I avoid online dating as much as possible. Just seems to be full of liars, scammers, and creeps (of both genders).

Invidious wrote: »
    I've tried dating leftists but it just never worked out. I could tolerate their beliefs and voting choices but not vice versa.

Ditto.,.. I tried... but... i couldn't stand it after a while. The constant self-gratification, while putting down others for issues, they've probably never been involved in. While blowing everything out of proportion, and having zero desire to see anything from a different angle (I don't mean sexual)

Nope. I learned quickly that it's just not worth it.

In my experience, women are far more interested in this stuff than men, and since women typically have more 'value' in dating, I'd imagine that many of these guys are simply ticking boxes in the hopes it gets them something.

That would be my interpretation too. I'm sure some men are genuinely into it ... but others would be calculating that it makes them more attractive to woke women.
    Nope. I learned quickly that it's just not worth it.

Ditto. And yet it's slim pickings otherwise on the dating scene. I don't encounter many young women in Ireland who are not avid leftists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

That would be my interpretation too. I'm sure some men are genuinely into it ... but others would be calculating that it makes them more attractive to woke women.

Ditto. And yet it's slim pickings otherwise on the dating scene. I don't encounter many young women in Ireland who are not avid leftists.

Most of the non leftist types tend to be in relationships or married. The single leftist types are a dime a dozen but wouldn't be worth the hassle long term.

Just my experience anyway

I'd imagine that many of these guys are simply ticking boxes in the hopes it gets them something.

Wouldn't you know it ... there's actually a term for this: Wokefishing

And of course, the Guardian offers "My search for Mr Woke: a dating diary". Cringe.

• Advertisement

Most of the non leftist types tend to be in relationships or married.

Where can one meet single non-leftist women in Ireland, though? Serious question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Where can one meet single non-leftist women in Ireland, though? Serious question.

I would have said most women would be non leftist types. Although I'm touching 40 so maybe something changed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

This is a personal one.

Oh yeah, some profiles out there are more of a political manifesto than a description of yourself. You are not running for election!

A remarkable feature article about Princeton classics professor Dan-el Padilla Peralta by the New York Times, entitled "He Wants to Save Classics From Whiteness. Can the Field Survive?"

Sample...
    Over the course of 10 minutes, Padilla laid out an indictment of his field. “If one were intentionally to design a discipline whose institutional organs and gatekeeping protocols were explicitly aimed at disavowing the legitimate status of scholars of color,” he said, “one could not do better than what classics has done.” Padilla’s vision of classics’ complicity in systemic injustice is uncompromising, even by the standards of some of his allies. He has condemned the field as “equal parts vampire and cannibal” — a dangerous force that has been used to murder, enslave and subjugate. “He’s on record as saying that he’s not sure the discipline deserves a future,” Denis Feeney, a Latinist at Princeton, told me. Padilla believes that classics is so entangled with white supremacy as to be inseparable from it. “Far from being extrinsic to the study of Greco-Roman antiquity,” he has written, “the production of whiteness turns on closer examination to reside in the very marrows of classics.”

Classics — the study of the art and culture of ancient Greece and Rome — is inseparable from white supremacy, and is a dangerous force that has been used to murder, enslave and subjugate?

This guy is wokeness on steroids.

This is a personal one.

I've noticed it with a lot of women. Repeal tshirts were the main one a few years ago, now it's pronouns and ending direct provision. I'm sure other that and the short primary colour dyed hair they're full of fun.

A remarkable profile of Princeton classics professor Dan-el Padilla Peralta by the New York Times.

Classics — the study of the art and culture of ancient Greece and Rome — is inseparable from white supremacy, and is a dangerous force that has been used to murder, enslave and subjugate?

Jesus f*cking Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

A remarkable feature article about Princeton classics professor Dan-el Padilla Peralta by the New York Times, entitled "He Wants to Save Classics From Whiteness. Can the Field Survive?"

Sample...

Ok, let's paint ancient statues black.

Oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

I've noticed it with a lot of women. Repeal tshirts were the main one a few years ago, now it's pronouns and ending direct provision. I'm sure other that and the short primary colour dyed hair they're full of fun.

If I were a young guy on the market now, I'd be very specific on what kind of woman I'd look for to avoid the crazies. From what I hear, the best way to avoid the leftists is to look for;

Religious women - denomination not important, but religious (other than Muslim) and leftist seem to be incompatible

Eastern European or Russian women - seem to be much less likely to be leftist

Non-promiscuous women (might defeat the purpose for lads just looking for a casual thing though) - that pretty much rules out Tinder etc. Women who are open about wanting to settle down, get married, and have a family are unlikely to be obsessed with pronouns and direct provision.

All the above is what I hear from my kids/nieces/nephews and their friends.

RandRuns wrote: »
    If I were a young guy on the market now, I'd be very specific on what kind of woman I'd look for to avoid the crazies. From what I hear, the best way to avoid the leftists is to look for;

Religious women - denomination not important, but religious (other than Muslim) and leftist seem to be incompatible

Non-promiscuous women (might defeat the purpose for lads just looking for a casual thing though) - that pretty much rules out Tinder etc. Women who are open about wanting to settle down, get married, and have a family are unlikely to be obsessed with pronouns and direct provision.

I'm early 30s and to be completely honest it seems a majority of women who are still single are unlikely to settle down with someone who'd ever call them on their nonsense. Can only speak about personal experience obviously. I've heard some criticise others for "settling" and I'm like "Maybe they think that there's more important things than having the 'freedom' to do drugs every week.". There's a large cohort of women who consider "independence" as not ever having to answer to anyone for anything.
    95% of the time I've heard a woman say something about not being able to find a guy I've already twigged that they think they're above the give-and-take of a "normal" or "traditional" relationship. They have to argue every point, can't let anything slide. Everything is a big deal, their thoughts are all original and ground-breaking, no-one else understands anything the way they do, all that jazz.
    A majority (or large minority) of the women who will ever be mature enough to be in a healthy relationship will settle before 30. Obviously there'll be exceptions. While men are usually thought of as less complex and less changing over time (rightly IMO) I've noticed in the last 15 years that guys seem to "mature" at completely different ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

I'm early 30s and to be completely honest it seems a majority of women who are still single are unlikely to settle down with someone who'd ever call them on their nonsense. Can only speak about personal experience obviously. I've heard some criticise others for "settling" and I'm like "Maybe they think that there's more important things than having the 'freedom' to do drugs every week.". There's a large cohort of women who consider "independence" as not ever having to answer to anyone for anything.
    95% of the time I've heard a woman say something about not being able to find a guy I've already twigged that they think they're above the give-and-take of a "normal" or "traditional" relationship. They have to argue every point, can't let anything slide. Everything is a big deal, their thoughts are all original and ground-breaking, no-one else understands anything the way they do, all that jazz.
    A majority (or large minority) of the women who will ever be mature enough to be in a healthy relationship will settle before 30. Obviously there'll be exceptions. While men are usually thought of as less complex and less changing over time (rightly IMO) I've noticed in the last 15 years that guys seem to "mature" at completely different ages.

All the above is exactly right I would say. Anyone who won't settle down until they're into their 30's because they need the freedom to party are unlikely to ever make a good partner.

I know women (and guys) of my own age (late 40's) who thought no one was good enough 20 years ago, and now cut sad and lonely figures. The hot young party girl of 24 or 25 rarely looks like a catch in her 40's. It's easier for guys to shake off the party animal tag I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-55917605

More erasing of history.

People who were probably forgotten after being dead for nearly 60 years are now shamed for playing a typical music hall routine in the 1960s and earlier!

You mean the "Coon singer and dancer", and "The Chocolate Coloured Coon" ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Repeal tshirts were the main one a few years ago

Me and my friends would still use this as an explainer and a red flag. Admittedly none of us are card carrying lefties but we all would have supported the repeal of the 8th.

“.....she’s a really nice girl but you just know she would wear a repeal jumper”.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Sky News are delivering this morning, "Why are climate protesters only white and not diverse" white privilege is the answer, I would have said because minorities have a life and have more important things to be doing than middle bored entitled luvvies appear to have

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

RandRuns wrote: »

The problem is that generally when you look at woke supporters, what they propose is for other people to do/behave, and they'll have some handy reason why it doesn't apply to them. Or they'll have some superficial expression of their commitment, but double standards allow them some leeway in how it's applied.

I know a variety of woke people, and quite a few of them are religious.

People wear many faces in public depending on who they're with or where they are...

Yup, I don't hear much of it from them, still, they're a very pragmatic bunch. If it will give them an advantage, they'll use it.

I know the feeling. :D I tend to (not always but usually) stick to Asian women (who are curious about it all but are quite pragmatic, like the Russians), so my experience of western dating is rather limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I know a variety of woke people, and quite a few of them are religious.

See.. I'm not sure I even do? I'm not even sure what woke is, outside a bunch of generalisations and mad tweets on Twitter, which is kinda bs.

A few liberal, a few conservative folks and most people somewhere in the middle leaning slightly left or right depending on the issue.

I think the whole woke-ness is blown completely out of proportion.. sure keep the mad tweets coming for entertainment value, but don't try and map it to real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'd say if you're young, single, and not on-board with the progressive left in Ireland, it's tough to meet anyone to date.

Progressives are ( in the main) incredibly boring people with no sense of humour

They rarely have an ounce of common sense to boot

km991148 wrote: »
    See.. I'm not sure I even do? I'm not even sure what woke is, outside a bunch of generalisations and mad tweets on Twitter, which is kinda bs.

A few liberal, a few conservative folks and most people somewhere in the middle leaning slightly left or right depending on the issue.

I think the whole woke-ness is blown completely out of proportion.. sure keep the mad tweets coming for entertainment value, but don't try and map it to real life.

It really depends on what your social/career environment is like.

I spend a lot of time in Asia, as a lecturer, so I meet a lot of people of different nationalities, but many are connected with academia, or are traveling/exploring. I've met so many Americans, or those who were educated in America, and they bring the woke nonsense with them.

I don't think you'll find much of this woke stuff in mainstream Irish society. I expect it's in Dublin, simply because of the population. My sister-in-law is woke to the hilt, and most of her friends I've met are the same (who all live/work in Dublin).

The thing though is that this has already been mapped to real life, in many other countries around the world, or is being actively applied. Again, I don't think it's terribly strong in Ireland, but you can see the desire by some for it to be applied here.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Progressives are ( in the main) incredibly boring people with no sense of humour

They rarely have an ounce of common sense to boot

The same could be said for those who generalise..

Right bunch of aul pricks we are on here

They were of a previous generation, no need to censor them now, rewriting history is more dangerous than leaving it to be examined.
    It's like Victorians putting fig leaves on Roman statues, or in some cases using a chisel to remove the "offensive" parts.

• Advertisement

It really depends on what your social/career environment is like.

I spend a lot of time in Asia, as a lecturer, so I meet a lot of people of different nationalities, but many are connected with academia, or are traveling/exploring. I've met so many Americans, or those who were educated in America, and they bring the woke nonsense with them.

I don't think you'll find much of this woke stuff in mainstream Irish society. I expect it's in Dublin, simply because of the population. My sister-in-law is woke to the hilt, and most of her friends I've met are the same (who all live/work in Dublin).

The thing though is that this has already been mapped to real life, in many other countries around the world, or is being actively applied. Again, I don't think it's terribly strong in Ireland, but you can see the desire by some for it to be applied here.

Nah, your fancy Asia life doesn't count :pac:

But maybe I'm lucky and just didn't have people in my life that meet this criteria (despite being in Dublin for 20 years or so) whatever that is..

Or maybe I am woke and don't know it? I did dye my hair blue last week, is that it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement