Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

They were of a previous generation, no need to censor them now, rewriting history is more dangerous than leaving it to be examined.

Rewriting history is a basic tenet of the woke crowd.

The tearing down of statues, "unpersoning" anyone that said something once upon a time that is now unacceptable, etc.

It's all straight out of 1984, but wokies aren't the most self aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

They were of a previous generation, no need to censor them now, rewriting history is more dangerous than leaving it to be examined.

Yeah, this seems a bit strange. Context is key in a lot of these situations. I don't know what more context you need that a gravestone, in a cemetery, with a date on it.

But then equally, I don't know what is like to be discriminated against.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

km991148 wrote: »
    The same could be said for those who generalise..

Right bunch of aul pricks we are on here

" I'm like my mother , I stereotype, it's quicker "

From the movie Up in The Air

RandRuns wrote: »

It's all straight out of 1984, but wokies aren't the most self aware.

It's also a good analogy for how the internet works these days and how people use confirmation bias to seek out ideas and opinions that validate their own narrow world view.

Invidious wrote: »
    I agree, but the fact that we have a gay half-Indian Taoiseach, a woman of color as Lord Mayor of Dublin, an openly lesbian former Minister for Children, etc., doesn't stop the woke from arguing that we live in a society rife with institutionalized racism, sexism, and homophobia. Facts don't matter when you see only what you want to see.

It's a tad more less high minded than that

There are a lot of career opportunities in the field of victimhood, if you admit that thing's are good for gays, women, travellers ( if that crowd bother to embrace opportunities) , immigrants

You close the door to the possibility of lifetime tenure in the TCD sociology department, nevermind regular slots on the ray D'Arcy show

• Advertisement

Nah, your fancy Asia life doesn't count :pac:

It's not about living in Asia, since for the most part, this woke stuff hasn't found any support there.

It's about the numbers of people (westerners) I have met (during my time there) who believe this stuff. So, it is out there. Which is why I made the distinction with Ireland.
    But maybe I'm lucky and just didn't have people in my life that meet this criteria (despite being in Dublin for 20 years or so) whatever that is..

Or maybe I am woke and don't know it? I did dye my hair blue last week, is that it?

If you've been reading the thread, you'd know what the criteria are.. and changing your hair color isn't one of them (I've dyed my own hair many times), although combined with the need to tell others how to live their life would be a good sign that you're leaning that way.

Yeah, this seems a bit strange. Context is key in a lot of these situations. I don't know what more context you need that a gravestone, in a cemetery, with a date on it.

But then equally, I don't know what is like to be discriminated against.
    It's not discrimination, it's a record of the death of someone nearly 60 years ago, would have been completely forgotten if it wasn't for someone deciding to "rake up skeletons", what if the death was 600 years ago.

How would they go about changing something that could have real historical significance.

Ancient history has many examples of where previous names have been erased from the records, today, we do not know who these records refer to and why they were erased.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

But maybe I'm lucky and just didn't have people in my life that meet this criteria (despite being in Dublin for 20 years or so) whatever that is..

Or maybe I am woke and don't know it? I did dye my hair blue last week, is that it?

In the words of Cole Sear:

I see dead people. Walking around like regular people. They don't see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're dead.

Biker79 wrote: »
    +1

So many companies are rigorously implementing diversity policies. There's never been a better time for equality.

That said, there's never been a worse time for native men from a modest socio -economic background with relatively low educational achievements. They are keeping the methadone clinics and homeless charities very busy - here and in the US.

Wokies are conspicuously quiet about them.

The WOKE view white men as carrying a form of original sin , they must account for the sins of white men centuries ago, a legacy of guilt if you will

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭AllForIt

silverharp wrote: »
    Sky News are delivering this morning, "Why are climate protesters only white and not diverse" white privilege is the answer, I would have said because minorities have a life and have more important things to be doing than middle bored entitled luvvies appear to have

I was about to mention this. This report is laughable in the extreme.

"Why are climate change activists predominately white" is the question.

The reporter starts off stating that climate change affects poor black communities more than white, with scenes of flooded villages presumably in Africa...so why aren't they protesting?

A 73 year old white middle-class climate change activist says she didn't mind being arrested at cc protests but states that black protesters would be more likely to be charged and fined and thus is the reason black ppl are less likely to get involved. She says she gets off lightly because of her white privilege, it's all about white privilege.

This coming not long after weeks of BLM protests all over the western world where in some cases they broke lockdown rules and some were violent. Afraid of being charged and fined my arse.

• Advertisement

It's not about living in Asia, since for the most part, this woke stuff hasn't found any support there.

It's about the numbers of people (westerners) I have met (during my time there) who believe this stuff. So, it is out there. Which is why I made the distinction with Ireland.

If you've been reading the thread, you'd know what the criteria are.. and changing your hair color isn't one of them (I've dyed my own hair many times), although combined with the need to tell others how to live their life would be a good sign that you're leaning that way.

Yeah, none of what I said about Asia or blue hair was meant literal..
    I do read this thread a bit. I don't reat encounter any ify it in real life.

RandRuns wrote: »
    In the words of Cole Sear:

I see dead people. Walking around like regular people. They don't see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're dead.

"They only see what they want to see."

That's exactly my point.. nailed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

AllForIt wrote: »

The reporter starts off stating that climate change affects poor black communities more than white, with scenes of flooded villages presumably in Africa...so why aren't they protesting?

A 73 year old white middle-class climate change activist says she didn't mind being arrested at cc protests but states that black protesters would be more likely to be charged and fined and thus is the reason black ppl are less likely to get involved. She says she gets off lightly because of her white privilege, it's all about white privilege.

This coming not long after weeks of BLM protests all over the western world where in some cases they broke lockdown rules and some were violent. Afraid of being charged and fined my arse.

Its amusing when the news becomes a sorta fan-fiction hallucination

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Protesting about police brutality in order to stop unfair arrests Vs afraid to protest because if police brutality..

Anyway, I disagree with both, I think the answer is much simpler. More minorities live in poverty. When your main concerns are keeping your bank balance in the black and putting food on table, everything else seems a privilege that is beyond you. I would assume the statement applies to white working class as well.

This clearly shows the concept that "utopia" can never exist, meaning that humans need some form of conflict to maintain their feelings of "worth".
    The old climate activist for example most likely has sat on the sidelines for most of their lives and need to "do something" before they're gone and forgotten.

The young blacks have issues that affect them more and need to vent their frustrations, in many cases their grievances are genuine, unfortunately their issues are being hijacked by many others who are aimlessly looking for a "cause" to attach to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Protesting about police brutality in order to stop unfair arrests Vs afraid to protest because if police brutality..

Anyway, I disagree with both, I think the answer is much simpler. More minorities live in poverty. When your main concerns are keeping your bank balance in the black and putting food on table, everything else seems a privilege that is beyond you. I would assume the statement applies to white working class as well.

I really couldn't care less why there are proportionately fewer black people endangering in climate change activism. I don't even see it as an issue. I was just reporting on a clear cut case of Sky News Woke reporting. Not something 'on the internet' you should note.

I really couldn't care less why there are proportionately fewer black people endangering in climate change activism. I don't even see it as an issue. I was just reporting on a clear cut case of Sky News Woke reporting. Not something 'on the internet' you should note.

Cool. I really couldn't care less that you couldn't care less :pac:

I don't see the woke angle tho, I mean if that's the bar, it's pretty damn low.

Cool. I really couldn't care less that you couldn't care less :pac:

I don't see the woke angle tho, I mean if that's the bar, it's pretty damn low.

It's woke because of the belief of White privilege as being the reason for Black people not being represented. As opposed to giving Black people their own responsibility in doing so (acknowledging the failure of their economies, drawbacks within their cultures, etc)... Instead, they're victims, and it's always someone else's fault. Hence it being woke.

It's not discrimination, it's a record of the death of someone nearly 60 years ago, would have been completely forgotten if it wasn't for someone deciding to "rake up skeletons", what if the death was 600 years ago.

How would they go about changing something that could have real historical significance.

Ancient history has many examples of where previous names have been erased from the records, today, we do not know who these records refer to and why they were erased.

I didn't say it was discrimination. I'm saying that the context is there.. ie the grave was dug/written up nearly 60 years ago and of course it's representative if the attitudes of 60 years ago (which I would hope that wouldn't apply now).

My point about discrimination is simply that I don't know how that would make me feel and if it would make me want to campaign for such things to change. That doesn't mean that I agree that they should change (I think rewriting a grave is on the side of madness).

It's woke because of the belief of White privilege as being the reason for Black people not being represented. As opposed to giving Black people their own responsibility in doing so (acknowledging the failure of their economies, drawbacks within their cultures, etc)... Instead, they're victims, and it's always someone else's fault. Hence it being woke.

A lot of assumptions there, and I think in the interest of not detailing the thread further we should leave it there.

• Advertisement

many of the WOKE are in truth deeply racist in that they view " minorities " as in need of rescuing and also ( in the case of travellers ) as incapable of behaving to the standards expected of the majority ( helpless victims )

the WOKE see idenities and profiles instead of individuals with agency and choices

even the ones that are not racist , are insufferably condescending

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    many of the WOKE are in truth deeply racist in that they view " minorities " as in need of rescuing and also ( in the case of travellers ) as incapable of behaving to the standards expected of the majority ( helpless victims )

the WOKE see idenities and profiles instead of individuals with agency and choices

even the ones that are not racist , are insufferably condescending

Pretty much the same way of thinking Europeans countries had when they colonised the rest of the world. These savages can't behave themselves and need our help.

Wokies are neocolonialists :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

A lot of assumptions there, and I think in the interest of not detailing the thread further we should leave it there.

What are the assumptions he's made?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭COVID

Barna77 wrote: »
    Pretty much the same way of thinking Europeans countries had when they colonised the rest of the world. These savages can't behave themselves and need our help.

Wokies are neocolonialists :D

So if Wokies are neocolonialists, that must make Broflakes the new subjugated victims!
    Shudder the thought...;)

COVID wrote: »
    So if Wokies are neocolonialists, that must make Broflakes the new subjugated victims!
    Shudder the thought...;)
    I'm going to need a new dictionary!!!

Don't bother. As each new group label is insulted or hurt by something, a range of new more inclusive terms will be created.. rinse and repeat.

It's kinda interesting in a way, cause eventually I expect there will be jobs out there for those people who can remember and guide others in all the woke terminology.. although I suspect only an AI would be able to retain the wide range of terms/labels, and be able to say them with any degree of seriousness.

Don't bother. As each new group label is insulted or hurt by something, a range of new more inclusive terms will be created.. rinse and repeat.

It's kinda interesting in a way, cause eventually I expect there will be jobs out there for those people who can remember and guide others in all the woke terminology.. although I suspect only an AI would be able to retain the wide range of terms/labels, and be able to say them with any degree of seriousness.
    I still remember reading books when I was young that referred to "gay market stalls on the high street".

The Pain and pleasure after having transgenders being allowed access to either changing room!

(only some browsers will show the image- so link below)
    https://twitter.com/JVanMaren/status/1196589838495076352/photo/1

A classic case of the perceived rights of the few riding roughshod over the rights of the many.

Meanwhile in China,

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55926248

China promotes education drive to make boys more 'manly'

A notice from China's education ministry has caused a stir after it suggested young Chinese men had become too "feminine". The message has been criticised as sexist by many online users - but some say China's male celebrities are partly to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭COVID

Noun. broflake (plural broflakes) (slang, derogatory, neologism) An overly-sensitive man or boy who is easily upset or offended, especially one
    upset about loss of male privilege.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement