Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

Can we leave the discussion of Travellers and the Roma out of this thread folks - as with all discussions that go in that direction it will inevitably end in the thread being shut down because people are unable to be civil.

It's completely off topic in any case.

okie dokie. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

People complain about the PRC control over their domestic internet, and social media.. and yet, that's where we're going with Western laws/arrests over internet speech/behavior. Maybe not immediately, but within 20 years, I doubt there will be much freedom on the internet unless it matches the approved outlook.

With this cancel culture, insanely overbroad "hate speech" laws, and so on, I think we're seeing the rise of a culture where many more people will actively use cryptography and pseudonyms to prevent reprisal against their real-world identities. I think we'll still have a free internet, but it will be a very different environment where people will carefully separate their offline and online identities.

If 50% of teenagers in Ireland are living in such crippling poverty that their families can't pay for tampons/towels then tbh the country is completely ****ed.
    If.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

okie dokie. :D

Okie wokie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Free speech campaigners today blasted Police Scotland over its decision to charge a man over an offensive tweet about Captain Sir Tom Moore.

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: "On Friday 5 February 2021, we received a report of an offensive tweet about Sir Captain Tom Moore who died on Tuesday 2 February.

"A 35-year-old man has subsequently been arrested and charged in connection with communication offences and is due to appear at Lanark Sheriff Court on Wednesday 17 February."

A tweet sent shortly after war hero's death last Tuesday read: 'The only good Brit soldier is a deed one, burn auld fella, buuuuurn.'

The Sturgeon wing if the SNP is going down a very righteous and holy path, a new Kirk.

Hope they don't blow it with this bull.

It was crass and inappropriate but it's not an arrestable offence, that's real tin pot dictatorship stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Invidious wrote: »
    With this cancel culture, insanely overbroad "hate speech" laws, and so on, I think we're seeing the rise of a culture where many more people will actively use cryptography and pseudonyms to prevent reprisal against their real-world identities. I think we'll still have a free internet, but it will be a very different environment where people will carefully separate their offline and online identities.

When the internet first came about people instictively knew that exposing your true identity to the world forever was a bad idea so they didnt. It took some evil marketing to normalise to the detriment of society.

Speaking of evil:

EtuieASXcAEpX1Y?format=png&name=900x900

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Bambi wrote: »
    When the internet first came about people instictively knew that exposing your true identity to the world forever was a bad idea so they didnt. It took some evil marketing to normalise to the detriment of society.

Speaking of evil:

EtuieASXcAEpX1Y?format=png&name=900x900

What's a unwoman?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What's a unwoman?

That's a woman on the outside but a man on the inside.

Another woke purge at the New York Times, where science writer Donald McNeil, who was being considered for a Pulitzer for his reporting on Covid-19, has been ousted following weeks of manufactured outrage about allegedly racist language he used on a student trip to Peru in 2019.

His crime? Referring to the n-word while discussing the rights and wrongs of suspending a 12-year-old from school for saying it.

Although the newspaper initially investigated and disciplined McNeil, it found that "it did not appear that his intentions were hateful or malicious." Then, over 150 other staff turned on him, writing an open letter saying that "we have given a prominent platform – a critical beat covering a pandemic disproportionately affecting people of color – to someone who chose to use language that is offensive and unacceptable by any newsroom's standards."

Journalists are regularly being purged from the NYT now ... it has become the epicenter of US media wokeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Another woke purge at the New York Times, where science writer Donald McNeil, who was being considered for a Pulitzer for his reporting on Covid-19, has been ousted following weeks of manufactured outrage about allegedly racist language he used on a student trip to Peru in 2019.

His crime? Referring to the n-word while discussing the rights and wrongs of suspending a 12-year-old from school for saying it.

Although the newspaper initially investigated and disciplined McNeil, it found that "it did not appear that his intentions were hateful or malicious." Then, over 150 other staff turned on him, writing an open letter saying that "we have given a prominent platform – a critical beat covering a pandemic disproportionately affecting people of color – to someone who chose to use language that is offensive and unacceptable by any newsroom's standards."

Journalists are regularly being purged from the NYT now ... it has become the epicenter of US media wokeness.

Worth mentioning that he was at the paper since 1976.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Such a sad end to an illustrious career.

Wokeism and those you bring it must be resisted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Yet Sarah Jeong still writes for the NYT. Some racism is worse than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

keano_afc wrote: »

For the Woke and many in the modern left, some types are better, not less worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Yes but apparently she was being "sarcastic" in her Tweets...

Indeed. At the New York Times, a female Asian journalist can Tweet sentiments such as "#CancelWhitePeople," "Oh man, it’s kind of sick how much joy I get out of being cruel to old white men," and "Are white people genetically disposed to burn faster in the sun, thus logically being only fit to live underground like groveling goblins?" and still keep her job. Because apparently that's not racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Roe McDermot is looking for a gig i believe

New York can be cold in February but still

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Indeed. At the New York Times, a female Asian journalist can Tweet sentiments such as "#CancelWhitePeople," "Oh man, it’s kind of sick how much joy I get out of being cruel to old white men," and "Are white people genetically disposed to burn faster in the sun, thus logically being only fit to live underground like groveling goblins?" and still keep her job. Because apparently that's not racist?

It's not possible to be racist against whites in this new-world and men can't be sexually discriminated against.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

It is a basic premise of wokeness that white people are sub-human untermensch, and not subject to the protections everyone else gets.

When you dig down into it, wokeness, like most extremisms, is the very thing they claim to fight.

RandRuns wrote: »
    It is a basic premise of wokeness that white people are sub-human untermensch, and not subject to the protections everyone else gets.

When you dig down into it, wokeness, like most extremisms, is the very thing they claim to fight.

And white men are the scum of the earth...

Unless you're female... in which case you're exempted as being a marginalised/discriminated group, except for individuals who get the gold star in persecution. Don't forget there's a load of crossover between the woke and radical feminist movements.

Victims of the world unite!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Roe McDermot is looking for a gig i believe

New York can be cold in February but still

Pity she wouldn’t leave Ireland seeing as she hates it so much, and take her brother with her.

Pity she wouldn’t leave Ireland seeing as she hates it so much, and take her brother with her.

I've never heard of this Roe McDermott character, so Googled her there - first result:

Creator Hag. Writer, Fulbright Nerd, Next Generation Artist. she/her. Burning the ****ing myths to the goddamn ground

Yup, don't need to know any more.

they seem to have found a novel way of getting out of paying him his retirement pension.

Such a sad end to an illustrious career.

Wokeism and those you bring it must be resisted

His Wikipedia page is surprisingly light on information (his dismissal takes up most of the article), just an ordinary journalist doing an ordinary job.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Donald_McNeil_Jr.

they seem to have found a novel way of getting out of paying him his retirement pension.

He is also an old-style science writer, with all the baggage of scientific proof and method that it carries, and that has gone completely out of fashion, in this age of change-your-car-and-you-change-the-global-climate and that-vaccine-is-perfectly-safe-because-the-nice-man-from-Pfizer-says-it-is "scientific" belief.
    Modern media organisations (they're not newspapers anymore) want people who dress up press releases, and can parrot the correct lingo, not awkward white men who ask questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I've never heard of this Roe McDermott character, so Googled her there - first result:

Creator Hag. Writer, Fulbright Nerd, Next Generation Artist. she/her. Burning the ****ing myths to the goddamn ground

That will generally do it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I’m genuinely sorry for introducing you to her then. :(

I woii I do try and avoid The Last Word when she’s on it if I were you......

I’m genuinely sorry for introducing you to her then. :(

I woii I do try and avoid The Last Word when she’s on it if I were you......

I've never watched that, and now I don't intend to start :D

I've never watched that, and now I don't intend to start :D

It's on radio.

• Advertisement

Rodin wrote: »
    It's on radio.

Only listen to Lyric, so haven't come across it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement