Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭COVID

RandRuns wrote: »
    He is also an old-style science writer, with all the baggage of scientific proof and method that it carries, and that has gone completely out of fashion, in this age of change-your-car-and-you-change-the-global-climate and that-vaccine-is-perfectly-safe-because-the-nice-man-from-Pfizer-says-it-is "scientific" belief.
    Modern media organisations (they're not newspapers anymore) want people who dress up press releases, and can parrot the correct lingo, not awkward white men who ask questions.

Is being in favour of the vaccine 'woke' now?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

COVID wrote: »
    Is being in favour of the vaccine 'woke' now?

I wouldn't have thought so, but unquestioningly accepting anything fed to you by the media is, in my opinion.

As an aside, I've nothing against the covid vaccine, and certainly not vaccines in general, however I am concerned about how the vaccine is being marketed, and even more worried how certain parties have made asking any questions about the various vaccines verboten, a bit like they did with, say immigration.

Always, always, be wary when something is pushed as out of bounds for enquiry by the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭emmalynn19

I wouldn't have thought so, but unquestioningly accepting anything fed to you by the media is, in my opinion.

Woke isnt 'everything I dont like'. The vaccine is safe because the EMA, not Pfizer, say it is.

The trouble with laughing at the wokies is half the clowns laughing along are also idiots, just from the other end of the spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

As an aside, I've nothing against the covid vaccine, and certainly not vaccines in general, however I am concerned about how the vaccine is being marketed, and even more worried how certain parties have made asking any questions about the various vaccines verboten, a bit like they did with, say immigration.

Always, always, be wary when something is pushed as out of bounds for enquiry by the media.

What I particularly like is the narrative of trusting "the science" when the development of these vaccines has been so fast tracked that the companies demanded indemnity from government before they would distribute

Sound like a lack of trust in "the science"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Roe McDermot is looking for a gig i believe

She 'left twitter'.

Recently seen on Instagram asking any of her followers who are on twitter to research something for her there.

Twitter by proxy.

/Facepalm

• Advertisement

emmalynn19 wrote: »
    Woke isnt 'everything I dont like'. The vaccine is safe because the EMA, not Pfizer, say it is.

The trouble with laughing at the wokies is half the clowns laughing along are also idiots, just from the other end of the spectrum.

The EMA didn't say it was safe, they allowed them to be sold under the (very dodgy) conditional marketing authorisation, and the companies manufacturing them have demanded (and unbelievably, received) complete legal indemnity from any damages if the vaccines prove to be dangerous.

Bambi wrote: »
    What I particularly like is the narrative of trusting "the science" when the development of these vaccines has been so fast tracked that the companies demanded indemnity from government before they would distribute

The "fast tracking" was really just that it was possible to do trials quicker, usually the issue is getting volunteers and being able to get funding and to move things along. Other than the Brits taking a chance there's been no shortcuts taken. Ironically then there are people complaining that the EU are holding things up. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The "fast tracking" was really just that it was possible to do trials quicker, usually the issue is getting volunteers and being able to get funding and to move things along. Other than the Brits taking a chance there's been no shortcuts taken. Ironically then there are people complaining that the EU are holding things up. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I'm not arguing against the shortcuts taken, I'm pointing out that the "trust the science" bs doesnt fly in this instance as we're into unknown territory and yet if you point that out, the weirdo media scream about disinformation. Another dangerous result of the woke mindset

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

Science by its very definition ventures into unknown territory to make it known.
    No corners were cut, but the vaccines were indeed fast tracked because WE NEEDED THEM FAST FFS!
    weirdo media scream about disinformation. Another dangerous result of the woke mindset
    Maybe, but in this case they are right. Science denial can be denying there are only 2 sexes or denying the science behind the vaccines, and TBH the later is much worse, at least gender neutral bathrooms don't kill people.

/woke hat off

I'm not arguing against the shortcuts taken, I'm pointing out that the "trust the science" bs doesnt fly in this instance as we're into unknown territory and yet if you point that out, the weirdo media scream about disinformation. Another dangerous result of the woke mindset

Nonsense tbh. The Woke don't like science at all as it happens. It's racist, remember?
    The only reason to think that it's "woke" is because the "other side" are the ones shouting conspiracy, fake news and refusing to wear masks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭storker

Or a fear of the antics of anti-vaxxers trying to blame anything and everything on the vaccine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

The woke left is all for trusting science when it comes to climate change ... but not when it comes to nuclear power or genetically modified foods. As usual, people pick and choose the positions that best suit their ideology. When those positions are backed by science, trumpet the science. When those positions contradict science, ignore the science.

Invidious wrote: »
    The woke left is all for trusting science when it comes to climate change ... but not when it comes to nuclear power or genetically modified foods. As usual, people pick and choose the positions that best suit their ideology. When those positions are backed by science, trumpet the science. When those positions contradict science, ignore the science.

Nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

What I've found frustrating in the last year is the conflation of lack of proof with proof against a particular approach, even when common sense would suggest it would be beneficial.

Both far left and far right show the same distrust in science when it happens to contradict their ideology. Which is hardly surprising considering how much far left and far right actually have in common.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Cordell wrote: »
    Both far left and far right show the same distrust in science when it happens to contradict their ideology. Which is hardly surprising considering how much far left and far right actually have in common.

The difference is that the far left appear to be the dominant strain of leftist at the minute.

Communism is actually considered an tolerable ideology for many.

The difference is that the far left appear to be the dominant strain of leftist at the minute.
    It's very vocal indeed.
    One of the consequences of not having a Nurnberg equivalent for the communists after the fall of the iron curtain.
    Communism is actually considered an tolerable ideology for many.
    Communism is not tolerant, that's the main problem.

To be fair, nothing taken to an extreme is. Which is what the wokies want. The extreme end of governance with them deciding the laws. Even if it's held under a democratic system, if taken to an extreme, the average person will still be just as powerless.

Democracy isn't all the special in itself. What's going to happen? You don't vote that party back in next election. Whooptie do. They'll be back in eventually, and what happens if most political groups have the same viewpoints? You're stuck, especially when alternative political groups are sidelined, and dismissed.

Well, extreme ideologies are extreme :) and people don't realize just how extreme the communism is, otherwise we won't have parties that still display the red star or, even worse, the sickle and hammer.
    Democracy may not be perfect, but it's by far the best we've tried. Just look over the pond, a small insignificant party managed to effect maybe the biggest change UK have seen in the recent history, all through democratic means.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Communism is bollocks, that's the real problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/breastfeeding-is-now-chestfeeding-brightons-trans-friendly-midwives-are-told-pwlvmcnc7

I’m sure there’s a group of people somewhere having a good laugh at seeing how far they can take this rubbish .

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

Confronting the failure of miscarriage as a trans man:
    "I would be pregnant at the same time as two friends, one a fellow seahorse dad"
    https://www.vice.com/en/article/k7axxw/confronting-the-failure-of-miscarriage-as-a-trans-man

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

griffin100 wrote: »
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/breastfeeding-is-now-chestfeeding-brightons-trans-friendly-midwives-are-told-pwlvmcnc7

I’m sure there’s a group of people somewhere having a good laugh at seeing how far they can take this rubbish .

I don't get the changing of breast to chest. The breasts are on the chest, and both men and women have them, so why would it be offensive regardless of what sex the person would like to think they are is?

Could only get the top few paragraphs, ain't paying for that!
    ingalway wrote: »
    Confronting the failure of miscarriage as a trans man:
    "I would be pregnant at the same time as two friends, one a fellow seahorse dad"
    https://www.vice.com/en/article/k7axxw/confronting-the-failure-of-miscarriage-as-a-trans-man

Emotions aside, a woman who wants everyone to believe she's a man, but also wants to have a baby the natural womanly way, but still wants to be called a man. And is shocked that all the treatment she went through to become a man is having negative effects on her ability to have a baby. Something about actions and consequences here...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Senior Canadian police officer in line to become deputy Garda commissioner

EtzJXnFXAAIQpKh?format=jpg&name=medium
    bvbv
    EtzJX3dXAAcA7MU?format=jpg&name=large
    nbhg
    EtzJYPPXUAIzjyT?format=jpg&name=medium
    gvhb

Ebun Joseph should have got this job the bastards.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/senior-canadian-officer-appointed-deputy-garda-commissioner-1.4480061

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

EtzJXnFXAAIQpKh?format=jpg&name=medium
    bvbv
    EtzJX3dXAAcA7MU?format=jpg&name=large
    nbhg
    EtzJYPPXUAIzjyT?format=jpg&name=medium
    gvhb

Ebun Joseph should have got this job the bastards.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/senior-canadian-officer-appointed-deputy-garda-commissioner-1.4480061
    Oh fck.

Oh I'm glad I quit!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It is the first time in the history of the Garda that both deputy commissioner posts have been filled by women.

Minister for Justice Helen McEntee said she was delighted at the appointment of the two women to senior roles she said were “crucial” for the Garda force.

I've no doubt that they were the best candidates for the jobs..

I was thinking more of the "Diversity" training they will be forced to attend. Anyway, as a Garda they wouldn't be allowed to kneel to anyone or anything. Least not while in Uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

It is the first time in the history of the Garda that both deputy commissioner posts have been filled by women.

Minister for Justice Helen McEntee said she was delighted at the appointment of the two women to senior roles she said were “crucial” for the Garda force.

I've no doubt that they were the best candidates for the jobs..

if the Nordi guy wants to keep his job he better consider transitioning, it will make him bulletproof

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9240197/Sadiq-Khan-unveils-taskforce-review-capitals-landmarks-ensure-reflect-diversity.html
    Fury over Sadiq Khan's woke statue taskforce: London mayor unveils monuments commission - including social rights activist who defaced a statue of Sir Robert Geffrye and academic who said white supremacy can be traced back to Britain.
    It also includes a campaigner who once confronted the Queen to demand she apologise for historical injustices.

Sadiq Khan's Commission for Diversity in the Public Realm, it sounds like something out of Star Wars.

Maybe they could add Darth Vader to the commission.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement