Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Barna77 wrote: »
    What's next? Tanning is a symbol of white supremacy too?

Cultural appropriation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Interesting article in the NYT about French politicians and prominent intellectuals stating that American woke social theories on race, gender, and post-colonialism is a threat to French identity and are undermining French society.
    “Certain social science theories entirely imported from the United States,’’ said President Emmanuel Macron."

Ireland has no colonial past nor had it a role in the slave trade but I do think that certain concerns raised by Macron can be applied and are relevant to Ireland in ways. Such as identity politics, political correctness etc. Identity politics is being used by obsessive authoritarians and NGOs to enforce social change (that's heavelly influenced by the US), will only impact in Ireland and take us beyond the starting point we are at now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/09/world/europe/france-threat-american-universities.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

RandRuns wrote: »
    Believe it or not, Channel 4 have thoughtfully made a programme telling you how Covid is racist.....

Is Covid Racist?

(I haven't watched it myself, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that they found the answer is yes).

Dark skinned people are more likely to be vitamin D deficient when living in Northern Europe. Vitamin D deficiency is strongly correlated with bad covid outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

emmalynn19 wrote: »
    You sound like a Trump supporter.

Ah the Trump supporter cliche.

You do realise that over 74m people in the US legitimately voted for Trump in the recent election.
    That was almost half of the people that voted.
    Trump increased his vote by 9m from 2016, he also increased his vote with the hispanics and blacks.
    Tar them all with the same brush, they are all right wing racists.

The Perpetually Offended and Trump Derangement Syndrome, there is definitely some scientific link between these two conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭emmalynn19

Ah the Trump supporter cliche.

You do realise that over 74m people in the US legitimately voted for Trump in the recent election.
    That was almost half of the people that voted.
    Trump increased his vote by 9m from 2016, he also increased his vote with the hispanics and blacks.
    Tar them all with the same brush, they are all right wing racists.

The Perpetually Offended and Trump Derangement Syndrome, there is definitely some scientific link between these two conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

:D

Yup, it's definitely the reincarnation of Sorcha alright.

Dark skinned people are more likely to be vitamin D deficient when living in Northern Europe. Vitamin D deficiency is strongly correlated with bad covid outcomes.

If I was dark skinned I would take this to mean I need to be even more vigilant around social distancing and mask wearing etc that lighter skinned people.

Also I would spend a 5 euro on some vitamin D supplements.

If I was dark skinned I would take this to mean I need to be even more vigilant around social distancing and mask wearing etc that lighter skinned people.

Vitamin D supplements are a tool of white supremecists designed to aapropriate black culture. Or something.

You'd be better off posting over in the Joe Biden or Donal Trump threads, you will find more likeminded posters with TDS there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I think we should all be taking vit D in winter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

AllForIt wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/commentisfree/2021/feb/08/the-phallic-necktie-is-an-outdated-symbol-of-white-male-rule-in-new-zealands-parliament

"Neckties are phallic symbols of white supremacy"

Always wondered why I was strangely attracted to a nice neck tie.
    If there was ever a year to change New Zealand’s anachronistic parliamentary dress code, it should be 2021, when the new parliament is the most diverse and inclusive ever, including 48% women, 11% LGBTQ, 21% Māori, 8.3% Pacific, and 7% Asian New Zealand members.

White male MPs, the demographic group most likely to wear a necktie, are now a minority.

The article itself says how diverse the parliament is. It even says white men are a minority. I just don't get how an issue can be made over a tie. It's a piece of fabric. Not everything that looks like a penis is representative of male dominance. The fact that this article wasn't laughed away by The Guardian editors is incredibly worrying for the paper.
    Clothing is inherently political in its ability to represent the values of our culture, and the necktie is one of the most politically charged items of body adornment. The necktie echoes the shape of the codpiece, a fabric flap or pouch designed 500 years ago to emphasise a European nobleman’s importance through his large phallic size. It is arrow shaped and directs the eye of an onlooker down towards a man’s groin

Hardly anyone in the world knows or cares about this sort of stuff, the only people that do are historians or dickheads with too much time on their hands looking for trouble. The reason no one knows the true meaning and evil surrounding the origins of the necktie is that it is entirely irrelevant in modern society because we evolved to the point that men generally don't wear piece of fabric designed to exhibit their cock size. Funnily enough it's largely only women who does such things with push up bras and the likes. Does anyone care about that? Probably but they are also dickheads with too much time on their hands.

You'd be better off posting over in the Joe Biden or Donal Trump threads, you will find more likeminded posters with TDS there.
    I have 'Trump Derangement Syndrome' because I said you sound like a Trump supporter? You do sound like a Trump supporter.

If youve gone down the rabbit hole of one side or other of the US culture wars why not just own it instead of pretending you are something you arent.

This '74 million people cant be bad people' stuff is farcical. It sounds like the 'Islam cant be bad because billions of people are Muslims' horse**** you hear out of the left. Islam would be a bag of **** if had 15 adherents. Donald Trump is a ****, and he was a **** long before he got into politics.

Nokotan wrote: »
    The fact that this article wasn't laughed away by The Guardian editors is incredibly worrying for the paper.

There is literally no article, none whatsoever, that the Guardian wouldn't print, as long as it is pointing out some imagined -ism.

Ok Sorcha.
    Yes lad, thinking that Trump is a dickhead and has abhorrent, exploitative politics AND thinking that SJW woke politics are comically absurd is a perfectly normal, common Irish perspective.

Might be different for you 'white people' though, I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

You sound very angry. Why not listen to some soothing classical music? Chopin's nocturnes would be my recommendation.

Too male and white, maybe recommend something more diverse? Maybe Cardi B?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nokotan wrote: »
    Hardly anyone in the world knows or cares about this sort of stuff, the only people that do are historians or dickheads with too much time on their hands looking for trouble. The reason no one knows the true meaning and evil surrounding the origins of the necktie is that it is entirely irrelevant in modern society because we evolved to the point that men generally don't wear piece of fabric designed to exhibit their cock size.
    Never mind that all that codpiece stuff has nada to do with the necktie or its origins. It evolved from a simple scarf/cravat into its present form. Are bowties also codpieces? They are not. So yeah you're spot on with the dickheads bit. I'd add ignorant and whiny to the label.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Yes lad, thinking that Trump is a dickhead and has abhorrent, exploitative politics AND thinking that SJW woke politics are comically absurd is a perfectly normal, common Irish perspective.

Might be different for you 'white people' though, I dunno.

Trump - Who has promoted/defended Trump on this thread? You keep suggesting that we're Trump supporters but you have zero evidence to support such a claim.

Exploitative policies - Again, you have zero evidence to suggest that anyone on this thread is in favor of such practices.

But sure, SJW woke politics are absurd.. except they've gained traction in both the US and, somewhat, in the UK, along with some inroads in Ireland, within education & government initiatives.

The problem is that you don't argue. You insult. You make baseless claims about posters, their opinions and make no effort to support those claims.

For someone who claims to be in their 40s, you have a very childish approach to a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

You sound very angry. Why not listen to some soothing classical music? Chopin's nocturnes would be my recommendation.

Sounds like an "angry man".

I have 'Trump Derangement Syndrome' because I said you sound like a Trump supporter? You do sound like a Trump supporter.

If youve gone down the rabbit hole of one side or other of the US culture wars why not just own it instead of pretending you are something you arent.

This '74 million people cant be bad people' stuff is farcical. It sounds like the 'Islam cant be bad because billions of people are Muslims' horse**** you hear out of the left. Islam would be a bag of **** if had 15 adherents. Donald Trump is a ****, and he was a **** long before he got into politics.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

I haven't gone down the rabbit hole of one side of the US culture wars, thats the whole point.

I'm not a Trump hater, but I'm not a supporter either, there is a difference.
    Not everything the man did in office was bad.

This would sum up my view quite well

Why dont you grow a pair of bollocks and own it.

Except, of course, I have... I have supported my position repeatedly. Once more, recognition of Irony is lost on you, since you're the one not "owning it" (also love that you're the one in love with Americanisms)

Fine. I am genuinely finished with you. We'll add you to the list of obvious trolls.

But, seriously, do you really have to be so offensive?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Trump is and was always a thundering prick and sociopath. I would suggest that the fact so many Americans voted for him was as much to do with the parlous state of US politics that is riven with division, as is their society and their oft simplistic and jingoistic views on the world. Suggesting a tie is some eurocentric phallocentric codpiece keeping people down is equally daft and ridiculous, though clearly not nearly as concerning as the orange oaf getting near the levers of power. As for a Maori parliamentarian choosing to wear their cultural garb I say work away.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

It's not a huge ask to put on a suit and look respectable when in parliament.
    Personally I find suits overrated and too uniform and lacking in imagination. It's culturally accepted as "respectable" because of tradition and quite a bit of laziness and that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭growleaves

Wibbs wrote: »
    Trump is and was always a thundering prick and sociopath. I would suggest that the fact so many Americans voted for him was as much to do with the parlous state of US politics that is riven with division, as is their society and their oft simplistic and jingoistic views on the world. Suggesting a tie is some eurocentric phallocentric codpiece keeping people down is equally daft and ridiculous, though clearly not nearly as concerning as the orange oaf getting near the levers of power. As for a Maori parliamentarian choosing to wear their cultural garb I say work away.

I think you have to look at who Trump's opponents are, a parade of snot-nosed cultural dictators talking in gibberish. They're about as well-liked as a bird that drops sh*t on you from a great height.

Completely disagree. A good suit looks great. And yes it makes a man look more respectable, more professional.
    Like I said it's entirely cultural and changes with time with it. The "respectable" suit of today would look out of place a century ago, the cut of the suit of today would look "wrong" 40 years ago. At one time the trouser was considered a near scandal. But yeah if you need to sell to the cheap seats in one's respectable suburban electoral base of all scandi kitchens and audis on tick then it would be best to ape their worldview alright. One presumes the Maori doesn't have that same electoral base or has one that cares less about their garb and more about what they'll do for them in parliament.

growleaves wrote: »
    I think you have to look at who Trump's opponents are, a parade of snot-nosed cultural dictators talking in gibberish. They're about as well-liked as a bird that drops sh*t on you from a great height.
    Not particularly as they got half the votes and won this time around so well liked enough. They're all cheeks of the same self serving arse and the orange eejit looked like an "alternative" to that for many. Which says much for the standard. None of it good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Leaving aside the Guardian Op-Ed that has all of your outrage panties wet, why should a Maori be forced to wear culturally British attire in his national parliament? I seem to recall the Brits forcing their culture onto us being a bit of an issue previously, ring any bells? We're all fans of British colonialism now on top of the Trumpist ****e are we?

LOL, oh Emma Lynn you really brightened up my Wednesday, have a great day love. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Thanks hun
    Man up snowflake.

Ok that's enough trolling from you, do not post in here again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Account deleted. Gone to reinvent itself into a new version of woke.

Tune in tomorrow

Account deleted. Gone to reinvent itself into a new version of woke.

Tune in tomorrow

I for one will miss all the "youse are all only f****king Trump supporters, so youse are" posts.
    At least until he's back shortly in another guise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

RandRuns wrote: »
    I for one will miss all the "youse are all only f****king Trump supporters, so youse are" posts.
    At least until he's back shortly in another guise.

Possibly a reinvention to a Ugandan who has been in direct provision 19 years

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement