Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Kivaro wrote: »
    Unfortunately this contamination has reached Irish shores with great speed, but I do not really hear our Irish intellectuals or politicians (no great surprise) speaking out about this cancel culture. There is the fear here that if you do speak out, you will be cancelled, even though this woke contamination is almost as bad as the other virus doing the rounds currently.
    I'd say it's far more because;

a) while we go on about an Irish identity, we're not very sure of it or ourselves, b) the Irish psyche seems to have a love/hate relationship with authority especially an external one. QV the English, then the Church. Now? a mash up of the EU and the US.
    c) we're closer to American culture so will ape their authority of "progressiveness" while throwing the love/hate around it like before.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

It's funny how people are claiming that Carano "compared Republicans to Jews" or that she "said that treatment of Trump supporters is like the holocaust" - I've even seen such claims in supposedly respectable newspaper articles about the case.
    Of course she said no such thing, and made no such comparison. What she actually said in that tweet was:

'Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors…even by children. Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?'

So what she actually claimed was that a government encouraging hatred of it's citizens because of their political opinion, is no better than a governement encouraging hatred of it's citizens because of their religious affiliation.

This is, of course, a perfectly valid and legitimate statement - in fact it is one I've seen repeated in various foms, ad naseum, by commentators, journalists, and politicians over the past 4 years. The difference of course, is that those commentators, jornalists, and politicians were claiming that Trump was Hitler, and that his opponents were the victims.

She was unpersoned not because she said something about Jews, but rather because she said something about the democrats.

As they should be.
    Jews are more protected than women and anyone who has a problem with that can either **** off or grow up.

Can you give me the full hierarchy of who needs our protection the most?

Jews
    Then women?
    Then the disabled?
    Then people of colour?
    Then.... I dunno.

I want to make sure I'm white knighting to the best of my ability

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Quazzie wrote: »
    LINK

No matter how much I tried to chestfeed my son, it appears only my wife could do it as she was the one with breasts. I didn't realise it was possible to get milk from a chest.

I, for one, am glad this is only an American thing.

wait, what?
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I'm not really seeing anything she said as abhorrent. She drew a stupid comparison to the Holocaust and the Jews but I don't see that as inherently anti semitic.

• Advertisement

i agree that neckties are a phallic symbol that literally scream "look at my immense penis" and have no place in modern society
    I've always hated wearing ties, but not for that reason.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

As they should be.
    I see the common thread of victim-claiming among the woke and "anti-woke" unfortunately. The "anti-woke" claim to acknowledge that we're not all equal/the same yet complain when that plays out. When it comes to Jews there was a concerted effort to wipe them out less than a century ago, nations across an entire continent turned their backs (and far worse even aside from the Germans) on them and were prepared to allow a culture present in Europe longer than Christianity to be completely erased. So yeah, Jews are more protected than women and anyone who has a problem with that can either **** off or grow up.
    I don't know how the "longer than Christianity" part has much relevance. That grew on and was absorbed and changed on an existing classical culture that had been around for ages. As for the concerted effort to wipe them out it didn't begin with the nazis. Not even close. There had been a concerted effort to erase/convert/expel Jews from Europe for well over a thousand years before they came along. The term "Final Solution" is a big hint. There were a host of previous "solutions" going back centuries. Wearing yellow to mark them out, confining them to designated areas, barriers to professions, trades and the law and so forth, all the way up to rounding Jews up, forcing conversions and killings, judicial and extra judicial. The Germans just copied that and added a horrific 20th century industrialised twist. The horrible irony is that of all nations in Europe at the time Germany had been one of the most inclusive towards Jews.
    As for Carano, she was generally being an arsehole. She was likely warned but continued on. Fair enough, her choice. Posting conspiracies (ticking the boxes for the pandemic and the election) is a nonsense and the comparing poor little Republicans to the Jews who were destroyed in their millions less than a century ago is a pathetic. Anyone who doesn't (or pretends to not) see the issue with her tweets can also **** off.
    Certainly she was being a dope and even dopier considering her position. I also don't come within an asses roar with agreeing with her various Karen on facebook conspiracy guff. While she had a sliver of a point regarding free speech her comparison of the holocaust to cancel culture was beyond insanely idiotic and hamfisted. That she got the heave ho by disney can hardly be a shock.

However there is an element of hypocrisy too. The star of the same show Pedro Pascal tweeted comparing trump supporters to German nazis and Confederates and also tweeted a pic comparing Jewish children in concentration camps and Mexican children in US cages
    39172606-9250247-image-m-5_1613058541416.jpg
    apparently the latter pic isn't even from America and is years old. He deleted both tweets like Cerano deleted hers, but that's pretty hamfisted and idiotic too, but he got praise, not the sack.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Everyone needs to learn more history. Not everything needs to be compared to Ww2, or the Nazis.

Everyone needs to learn more history. Not everything needs to be compared to Ww2, or the Nazis.

That's something like Hitler would have said.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I don't know how the "longer than Christianity" part has much relevance. That grew on and was absorbed and changed on an existing classical culture that had been around for ages. As for the concerted effort to wipe them out it didn't begin with the nazis. Not even close. There had been a concerted effort to erase/convert/expel Jews from Europe for well over a thousand years before they came along. The term "Final Solution" is a big hint. There were a host of previous "solutions" going back centuries. Wearing yellow to mark them out, confining them to designated areas, barriers to professions, trades and the law and so forth, all the way up to rounding Jews up, forcing conversions and killings, judicial and extra judicial. The Germans just copied that and added a horrific 20th century industrialised twist. The horrible irony is that of all nations in Europe at the time Germany had been one of the most inclusive towards Jews.
    Yeah and along with continued holocaust denial and denial that any group may need any protection (see white knighting accusations above :rolleyes:).
    Certainly she was being a dope and even dopier considering her position. I also don't come within an asses roar with agreeing with her various Karen on facebook conspiracy guff. While she had a sliver of a point regarding free speech her comparison of the holocaust to cancel culture was beyond insanely idiotic and hamfisted. That she got the heave ho by disney can hardly be a shock.
    Pretty much.
    However there is an element of hypocrisy too. The star of the same show Pedro Pascal tweeted comparing trump supporters to German nazis
    When some of Trump's supporters call themselves Nazis and chant "the Jews will not replace us" I think it's ok to call them Nazis.
    The only thing that stopped the Trump years from ending up an awful lot worse was Trump's ineptitude. Anyone who calls themselves a Trump supporter is at best an idiot.

I'm pretty much ready to give up on any of the old media at this stage though. The likes of The Daily Show, John Oliver etc. have lost any semblance of centrism or realism. The last straw with Trevor Noah was I saw a report about women in the workplace during Covid, how they're being most affected, the usual guff and it got on to childcare. In the middle of it was a claim that the more money women have, the more children they will have. Once I hear something as obviously wrong as that, well I'm done.
    Kinda reminded me about how everything that's given as a cause of problems for minorities later becomes bigotry. Lack of positive male role models in low-income black areas, not allowed to say that any more. Now seeing nonsense that the nuclear family was "forced" upon Blacks in America, quite recently I saw stuff about how slavery broke up the nuclear family structure for Blacks in America.

Alas I'm not anti-woke enough for some on this thread though. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Jews
    Then women?
    Then the disabled?
    Then people of colour?
    Then.... I dunno.

Jewish people are either at the top or the bottom of the list depending on whether you are a UK/Ireland leftist or and American one.

Shinners affiliate themselves with Hamas and Gaddafi.
    Labour party in the UK is antisemetic.
    Democrats are very pro Israel.

Jews
    Then women?
    Then the disabled?
    Then people of colour?
    Then.... I dunno.

Oh and women and any minorities that identify as right wing are also bottom of the list.
    Thatcher
    Modi
    Priti Patel
    etc

As they should be.
    I see the common thread of victim-claiming among the woke and "anti-woke" unfortunately. The "anti-woke" claim to acknowledge that we're not all equal/the same yet complain when that plays out. When it comes to Jews there was a concerted effort to wipe them out less than a century ago, nations across an entire continent turned their backs (and far worse even aside from the Germans) on them and were prepared to allow a culture present in Europe longer than Christianity to be completely erased.
    So yeah, Jews are more protected than women and anyone who has a problem with that can either **** off or grow up.

Nah. I don't buy it, nor do I agree with your **** off attitude. Society has changed so much over the last 60-80 years, a lot due to the lessons learned from WW2, but also from subsequent genocides. There isn't the same attitude within Western nations to behave the way they did back then.

There shouldn't be any special status for anyone based on religion, gender, or whatever. We should continue to help the weakest members of our society, but we really need to move on with things. Learn from the past, and move on.

Just as the status of women has changed considerably over the last 40-50 years, and we shouldn't be buying into this crap that they still need protections/benefits.

If we ever want a genuinely fair and equal society, we need to stop assuming the past is still relevant today, except as a measure to avoid repeating. Although, TBH, as I get older, I've come to doubt that many really want equality, and most people are looking for advantages for themselves or their group.

When some of Trump's supporters call themselves Nazis and chant "the Jews will not replace us" I think it's ok to call them Nazis.

The only thing that stopped the Trump years from ending up an awful lot worse was Trump's ineptitude. Anyone who calls themselves a Trump supporter is at best an idiot.

There's your problem right there.

This is the equivalent of:

Some Jews profited out of Germany's post WWI collpase.
    All Jews deserved to be hated by Germans.

See how easy it is to fall on the "wrong" side?

Nah. I don't buy it, nor do I agree with your **** off attitude. Society has changed so much over the last 60-80 years, a lot due to the lessons learned from WW2, but also from subsequent genocides. There isn't the same attitude within Western nations to behave the way they did back then.

There shouldn't be any special status for anyone based on religion, gender, or whatever. We should continue to help the weakest members of our society, but we really need to move on with things. Learn from the past, and move on.

Just as the status of women has changed considerably over the last 40-50 years, and we shouldn't be buying into this crap that they still need protections/benefits.

If we ever want a genuinely fair and equal society, we need to stop assuming the past is still relevant today, except as a measure to avoid repeating. Although, TBH, as I get older, I've come to doubt that many really want equality, and most people are looking for advantages for themselves or their group.

Grand, we're not going to agree, how about we leave it at that?

RandRuns wrote: »

Yup, exactly the same. Good job.

i agree that neckties are a phallic symbol that literally scream "look at my immense penis" and have no place in modern society

Strange... I'd question the sanity of anyone who looks at a necktie and associates it with a penis. People with far too much free time on their hands. The same with any similar Phallic association except as some kind of joke.

Breasts, on the other hand, I can definitely understand the fascination.

It's a dangerous world where a leader is responsible for everyone that supports them.

An actual white nationalist voted for Biden. Richard Spencer.
    Biden is a white nationalist.

Grand, we're not going to agree, how about we leave it at that?

Sure. I don't mind.

:D

And there you have it, the utter hypocricy of wokeness.

You can't generalise about any group, generalising is bad (unless it is someone we don't like)"

Orwell brilliantly illuminated this attitude many years before wokeists even thought of it, most clearly in the "before and after" rules of animal farm.

• Advertisement

:D

And there you have it, the utter hypocricy of wokeness.

You can't generalise about any group, generalising is bad (unless it is someone we don't like)"

Orwell brilliantly illuminated this attitude many years before wokeists even thought of it, most clearly in the "before and after" rules of animal farm.

Is it conscious or is it a result of programming?

Indeed, but what is your take on yer man's tweet directly comparing Jewish kids in concentration camps with Mexican kids in US cages(that weren't). She understandably gets fired, he not so understandably gets praise and yet both were erroneously equating the holocaust with American policy and political culture(that was long in play before the orange eejit). There is definitely hypocrisy about.
    I'm pretty much ready to give up on any of the old media at this stage though. The likes of The Daily Show, John Oliver etc. have lost any semblance of centrism or realism. The last straw with Trevor Noah was I saw a report about women in the workplace during Covid, how they're being most affected, the usual guff and it got on to childcare. In the middle of it was a claim that the more money women have, the more children they will have. Once I hear something as obviously wrong as that, well I'm done.
    Kinda reminded me about how everything that's given as a cause of problems for minorities later becomes bigotry. Lack of positive male role models in low-income black areas, not allowed to say that any more. Now seeing nonsense that the nuclear family was "forced" upon Blacks in America, quite recently I saw stuff about how slavery broke up the nuclear family structure for Blacks in America.
    Oh I hear you. Though I just avoid American media, save for the lulz. Their media and culture has become ever more divided and divisive in the last twenty years. It was never exactly cohesive mind you, unless you were of the White majority, when they were the majority. Now other voices are being more heard and more and more lines are being drawn within the culture the more divisive and fractured the culture has become.

Alas I'm not anti-woke enough for some on this thread though. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Its programmed. They don't have a capacity for self reflection.

Might fry their circuits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Not conscious I would think, they just feel they have to go with the full programme and they tend not to think too deeply about it. One of the reasons the woke get so angry when challenged is that, similar to deeply religious people, they know deep down that a lot of it makes no sense, so they don't want to discuss the hypocricies and contradictions of the dogma.

I caught out a woke friend IRL recently in a similar way to the poster above. He is originally from the UK, and is, like a lot of wokies, consumed by a hatred of brexiteers. He was ranting about those racist, illiterate, workshy scumbag Brexit voters, and I remarked that his rant was exactly the same, almost word for word, as a rant I'd recently heard about Travellers.
    He was completely taken aback, and I haven't heard him mention Brexit since. The hypocricy just slapped him in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

We're still very much living in the post WW2 era in many ways and it still shapes us. Add in the Hollywood simplification of that history and the propaganda that never quite switched off after the war ended and here we are.
    Yeah, and people tried to wipe out the Armenians. How come they don't deserve the same level of protection?
    Exposure and locale. We tend to ignore those genocides beyond our European/Western gates. It could be argued the Holocaust hit hard because of the feeling of European superiority and even some racism in the mix. The Japanese kill and torture millions in China and elsewhere out of a master race mindset, but "sure what would one expect from the foreign savage. Their civilisation is mostly surface" kinda thinking. Similar when that sorta thing kicks off in Africa, or when Pol Pot killed millions. But when Germany does it. A deeply civilised and advanced culture and a very European one? Oh that really didn't sit too well at all. Especially - and again with the race thing - when it was done to other civilised Europeans. You can wipe out "fuzzy wuzzys" to beat the band and get a medal for it, but never "one's own". The nazis knew this and had to make Jews out to be radically different and "foreign".

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Ilhan Omar is a Klan member

Now watch as all the same media who condemned Trump as a white supremicist when Duke endorsed him, do the same for Omar.

(only joking, of course they won't, they'll pretend it never happened).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭carfinder

Wow, you got owned dude, so much so that this lame ass response is all you've got ...wow again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement