Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Wibbs wrote: »
    True enough. You rarely saw a Middle Eastern actor or even someone who looks Middle Eastern in such roles, though that has changed somewhat in latter years. In the fifties they were either White Americans or White English people with plummy accents. Same for Romans and that hasn't changed much. They're rarely portrayed by Italians and Latins. The cast of the Sopranos would be a far better bet in a Roman setting. Cleopatra is one that tends to divide. Black Americans and others seem to think she was Black or at least Brown, but she was the last of the Ptolemy dynasty, a Greek(with some Syrian in her line). Not some blonde Swede I grant you, but Liz Taylor in the role wasn't so much a stretch. Still someone Asian would look completely "wrong" as an ancient Egyptian and unless they were portraying particular periods like after the Kush takeover a West African would look a bit odd too. As a Pharaoh anyway. The Egyptian royal court was quite "diverse" at times, so you could have Black, Arab, European milling about. Asians no, though they were aware of Asians, as one tomb painting has them represented in the list of non Egyptian feckers we know of. Probably Silk road types. One Asian burial has been even found in Rome. But such examples would be rare, even in a huge empire like Rome.

My take on this such as it is would be that if such casting is setting out to make an actual dramatic and artistic point then game ball. And Whitewashing is bad and stupid and divisive*, but so is Blackwashing for the sake of it. There can be the hint of some daft "revenge" swinging of the pendulum the other way and too far. "Feminist" casting does similar. The things is; two wrongs don't make a right and two idiocies don't make a wisdom.

*John Wayne being Ghengis Khan? oh jayyysus. A Roman soldier at the crucifixion was bad enough. Mickey Rooney as a hideous Asian stereotype. Fcuk me that was risible. Whitewashing of Asian folks was much more in play for longer, right up to today with it.

Ahh soh my name is fu Manchu:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,155 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Wasn’t john Wayne chinese at one stage :)

Well, he was a Mongol and a Roman soldier.

And look how well that turned out. :pac:

However, regarding about the cinematic wrongs of yesteryear, the repetition of those wrongs doesn't make things any better. You just end up with two sets of silly looking wrongs.

Thing is there is a much larger pool of actors/actresses to draw from in modern times. There's absolutely no reason to have a white guy play Genghis Kahn or Othello. Casting someone to fit those roles is more than possible.

As is casting a woman to play Anne Boleyn who resembles her historical counterpart.

I mean you can make certain allowances. Janette Goldstein did fine as Vasquez in 'Aliens'. But there's just no way you can look at Jodie Turner-Smith as Anne Boleyn and take it seriously, regardless of how good a shift she puts in.

If you’re over 44, I doubt teenagers give a ****

Teenagers are nowhere near as woke as you might think. Alt right attitudes were called that because they were alternative to the old right, and therefore younger. Woke movies tend to bomb.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Well, he was a Mongol and a Roman soldier.

And look how well that turned out. :pac:

However, regarding about the cinematic wrongs of yesteryear, the repetition of those wrongs doesn't make things any better. You just end up with two sets of silly looking wrongs.

Thing is there is a much larger pool of actors/actresses to draw from in modern times. There's absolutely no reason to have a white guy play Genghis Kahn or Othello. Casting someone to fit those roles is more than possible.

As is casting a woman to play Anne Boleyn who resembles her historical counterpart.

I mean you can make certain allowances. Janette Goldstein did fine as Vasquez in 'Aliens'. But there's just no way you can look at Jodie Turner-Smith as Anne Boleyn and take it seriously, regardless of how good a shift she puts in.

Oh I don’t know. If the reason for this is because they want to give non white actors a chance, I’m fine with it. If it’s ideologically claiming that Boleyn wasn’t white then it’s clearly nonsense.

James Bond would be the colour/gender/sexuality that relates to the current audience I would say , which so far has been white but could be due a reboot :)

It’s about revenue , James Bond will be what the revenue dictates he his

Which the sensible option would be a white British man. Because anything else risks turning off the established Bond audience who expect certain things from a Bond film, as tiresome as that has become.

• Advertisement

Teenagers are nowhere near as woke as you might think. Alt right attitudes were called that because they were alternative to the old right, and therefore younger. Woke movies tend to bomb.

I’m not at all talking about wokeness, the thread was about pointing out wok ness but moved on to white peoples giving out about black people being on their telly

When I refer to teens I’m referring to how the teens around me tend not to give a sh1t about past prejudice, it simply doesn’t exist like it does for their backward uncles

Tony EH wrote: »
    Which the sensible option would be a white British man. Because anything else risks turning off the established Bond audience who expect certain things from a Bond film, as tiresome as that has become.
    The established bond audience is dead

Oh I don’t know. If the reason for this is because they want to give non white actors a chance, I’m fine with it. If it’s ideologically claiming that Boleyn wasn’t white then it’s clearly nonsense.

That’s it in a nutshell

Jesus, the Corona Virus is worse than I thought. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,773 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I’m not at all talking about wokeness, the thread was about pointing out wok ness but moved on to white peoples giving out about black people being on their telly

When I refer to teens I’m referring to how the teens around me tend not to give a sh1t about past prejudice, it simply doesn’t exist like it does for their backward uncles

You don't see how you are the backward Uncle type obsessed with the past?

• Advertisement

It really isn’t that big a deal who plays who as long as the best person gets the job , you can lag behind or get with the way things are going

Except when a white person takes the role traditionally played by a person of colour.

Is that what you mean about "get with the way things are"?

Danzy wrote: »
    You don't see how you are the backward Uncle type obsessed with the past?

I’m as backward uncle as anyone yes , not quite obsessed with the past but I do enjoy the A team reruns and quaaludes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Invidious wrote: »
    I'm not all that sure about that. James Bond is embedded in our imaginations as a white British heterosexual male. Could we put a black lesbian in that role and have it work? It would take some doing.

You could yeah. But would it be wise for the franchise?
    Would a studio back such a risky venture?

Thankfully there is usually some sort of common sense in the background. Usually the people who have the money

Except when a white person takes the role traditionally played by a person of colour.

Is that what you mean about "get with the way things are"?

I honestly don’t care who plays who as long as the actor gives it everything

I can see how some people can be offended either way though and in the case of black people it’s because of the well documented issues they’ve had with equality, hopefully that is behind us now and we can move on , however we are in the buffer period now so enjoy seeing people playing people for the next few years until balance is restored

You could yeah. But would it be wise for the franchise?
    Would a studio back such a risky venture?

Thankfully there is usually some sort of common sense in the background. Usually the people who have the money

Right now no, but who knows what the future holds

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

LOL again.

You haven't a clue.

The last 2 bond movies made nearly $2 Billion. With a straight white male actor.

RandRuns wrote: »
    LOL again.

You haven't a clue.

The last 2 bond movies made nearly $2 Billion. With a straight white male actor.
    I would say they are more of an action audience than the traditional bond audience though

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

I would say they are more of an action audience than the traditional bond audience though

I'd say you won't be getting any offers of a job as a movie producer any time soon.

I’ll keep you posted

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9261745/The-cry-laughing-emoji-dead.html
    Gen Z ditch the 'crying with laughter' emoji because their parents use it: Youngsters declare the symbol 'dead' and adopt a SKULL instead

It is one of the most popular emojis on the internet, but Gen Z users have declared the 'crying with laughter' face 'dead'.

Instead Gen Z favour the 'skull' or 'coffin' symbol to express their amusement.

It also reflects how younger users want to distance themselves from the 'boring' and literal way millennials communicate online, according to experts.

Gen Z are real badasses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I weep for the future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

It really isn’t that big a deal who plays who as long as the best person gets the job , you can lag behind or get with the way things are going

It is a bit of a big deal because if it's a true story or historical film it should be as real to life as possible . Your telling me if jackie chan played Micheal Collins or if Jamie Foxx played William Wallace you don't think that'll look ridiculous ??? The woke community would be up in arms if Mr bean played Malcolm X. It's no wonder that all the woke films that gave been released recently have flopped .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Al Lorenzo wrote: »
    Whereas you're the creepy uncle who wants to show his niece and her friends how progressive he is :D

Welcome to boards and what a weird debut you made

And that’s what I am doubting. It isn’t generation X that is the most right wing generation. In fact that’s the generation that brought in most liberalism. The first to oppose the Catholic Church.

Young people are polarised. Across Europe it’s right wing groups that dominate. In France for instance the presidential elections are always centre right and far right in the run offs.

Of course plenty are woke too.

It is a bit of a big deal because if it's a true story or historical film it should be as real to life as possible . Your telling me if jackie chan played Micheal Collins or if Jamie Foxx played William Wallace you don't think that'll look ridiculous ??? The woke community would be up in arms if Mr bean played Malcolm X. It's no wonder that all the woke films that gave been released recently have flopped .

I don’t think Jackie chan could do Michael Collins justice , Jamie fox could though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Right now no, but who knows what the future holds

I'd say we are approaching peak wokeism. It will start to die away in the next 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭COVID

Not great casting, as Malcolm X had a lot to say, and Mr Bean doesn't speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

COVID wrote: »
    Not great casting, as Malcolm X had a lot to say, and Mr Bean doesn't speak.

Good point , how about Bill Burr ??

• Advertisement

Good point , how about Bill Burr ??

I’d pay to see that no bother

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement