Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

1969: In the future, I bet we will have flying cars and other cool stuff.

The future:

EwDTeSwXYAMc8Ga?format=jpg&name=medium
    lnj

The first thing they had to check upon coming out of the womb was their privilege

Not even the children are innocent. :rolleyes:

So if black people have black babies, and white people have white babies, wouldn't it be logical to wonder what colour a child with a black mother and a white father would have and perhaps speculate which would be the more prominent colour?

Apparently it's racist. We must be colourblind. Colour doesn't make a difference.

Unless it's BLM. Then we need to recognise colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    The royal family are a perfect example of white privilege

If only white privilege existed.
    But since it doesn't, royal families are a perfect example of being born into wealth and power privilege of various colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

One of the members of mumford and sons, Winston Marshall had posted a picture of the book by a US journalist Andy Ngo, “Unmasked: Inside Antifa’s Radical Plan to Destroy Democracy”, which seemed too have successfully exposed the relentless violent mob, aka Antifa, who have been trying to get Ngos book banned through various means. The comical thing about this situation is, does his retraction of the "endorsement" serve as approval for hateful, divisive, and violent behavior by Antifa than his original maybe unintended endorsement? It really says alot about society today...He read a book.....

EwFgOosXEAEhZe-?format=jpg&name=large
    bjl

One of the members of mumford and sons, Winston Marshall had posted a picture of the book by a US journalist Andy Ngo, “Unmasked: Inside Antifa’s Radical Plan to Destroy Democracy”, which seemed too have successfully exposed the relentless violent mob, aka Antifa, who have been trying to get Ngos book banned through various means. The comical thing about this situation is, does his retraction of the "endorsement" serve as approval for hateful, divisive, and violent behavior by Antifa than his original maybe unintended endorsement? It really says alot about society today...He read a book.....

EwFgOosXEAEhZe-?format=jpg&name=large
    bjl

Thats like a letter a hostage writes..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I read this in the news this morning. I mean, come on.. a book on Antifa written by a journalist that was attacked by them. An Asian minority journalist at that, if we care about identity politics (which I don't but they do).

The thing is, the fact that he (NGO) identifies as conservative is like he's "literally Hitler" in their eyes. The issue is that conservatism for these people isn't just having a different mindset or view on things, it means you are inherent "ist" in their eyes.

Incredibly one of my own family members thought Antifa got a bad rap. Why? Cause he consumes mainstream publications a lot that for some reason are really sympathetic to those destructive and violent larpers that want to see the destruction of western civilisation.

I'm left-leaning on most issues but I don't have a hissy fit when I meet people with conservative views. It's just a different mindset. But making this guy go off a reeducate himself for wrongthink is deplorable and ridiculous.

NEVER apologise for reading a book and trying to educate yourself, ffs. And now people have to hide their views because the irony is that we're heading in to another culturally conservative era that if you say something a bit different you get cancelled by a loud vocal minority of censorious new-conservative fascistic loonies that will come after you if you don't agree with their views. Insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

He will probably 'examine his blindspots' by reading approved-by-the-mob books.

Surely the band members knew his thoughts on political issues spending so much time with each other on tour and whatnot? It seems a cop out from them they would only now consider it an issue and ask him to step away.

"We didn't mind but now other people mind you should probably reflect on your choices and leave the band for a bit"

You'd have to wonder if it's the band or his decision or some record exec. I'd day it could be some record exec, their publicist trying to maintain the squeeky clean image of that middle-of-the-road band. His band members probably do know about him and they probably all agree that this is excessive but that's the big **** sandwich you have to eat when you are signed to a major label.

You'd have to wonder if it's the band or his decision or some record exec. I'd day it could be some record exec, their publicist trying to maintain the squeeky clean image of that middle-of-the-road band. His band members probably do know about him and they probably all agree that this is excessive but that's the big **** sandwich you have to eat when you are signed to a major label.

Good point, I hadn't thought about it. I reckon you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,339 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If I said Obama was a black arsehole I would be classed as a racist.

Would YOU say that you were being racist?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Im not sure people are being totally transparent here with this story.

I had a look at the piece on the Guardian for it. it claims this rightwing writer incited hatred and made false claims and falsely edit videos.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/mar/10/winston-marshall-break-mumford-and-sons-rightwing-commentator-andy-ngo

What I do find extremely 2 faced is the rest of the Band - having been aligned to that Petersen guy, they are now turning turk on one of them. They more than likely share the same views. Money talks though and he who pays the piper calls the tune.

Also he has to live with the fact that he is a grown man who has no principles and his beliefs are dependent on what other people tell him they are.

I read this in the news this morning. I mean, come on.. a book on Antifa written by a journalist that was attacked by them. An Asian minority journalist at that, if we care about identity politics (which I don't but they do).

The thing is, the fact that he (NGO) identifies as conservative is like he's "literally Hitler" in their eyes. The issue is that conservatism for these people isn't just having a different mindset or view on things, it means you are inherent "ist" in their eyes.

Incredibly one of my own family members thought Antifa got a bad rap. Why? Cause he consumes mainstream publications a lot that for some reason are really sympathetic to those destructive and violent larpers that want to see the destruction of western civilisation.

I'm left-leaning on most issues but I don't have a hissy fit when I meet people with conservative views. It's just a different mindset. But making this guy go off a reeducate himself for wrongthink is deplorable and ridiculous.

NEVER apologise for reading a book and trying to educate yourself, ffs. And now people have to hide their views because the irony is that we're heading in to another culturally conservative era that if you say something a bit different you get cancelled by a loud vocal minority of censorious new-conservative fascistic loonies that will come after you if you don't agree with their views. Insane!

That's the problem, reversed.

I'm totally with you, but there have been plenty of incidents - even on this thread - where people have used the word "liberal" ad an insult when they see anything left-leaning.

One particular poster stands out - it's like liberal and antifa are the same thing to him.

Would YOU say that you were being racist?

Good point. No I wouldn't.

But to be fair, I wouldn't say I am what I am regularly accused of being here.

But I see your point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I think I preferred old school authoritarianism, where people went along with whatever their leader wanted purely out of fear of legal consequences, where the people were genuinely oppressed from above. In the modern world our authoritarianism is self imposed, it's done by the people for the supposed good of the people. To me, this a far scarier concept than the former, as there's no need for oppressive laws or a dictator, yet the outcome is much the same.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I'm left-leaning on most issues but I don't have a hissy fit when I meet people with conservative views

I'm totally with you, but there have been plenty of incidents - even on this thread - where people have used the word "liberal" ad an insult when they see anything left-leaning.

If all liberal and conservative leaning people adopted the above everything would be so much better. I think at least 90% of people do, it's the 10% that shout loudest though.

anewme wrote: »

I had a look at the piece on the Guardian for it. it claims this rightwing writer incited hatred and made false claims and falsely edit videos.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/mar/10/winston-marshall-break-mumford-and-sons-rightwing-commentator-andy-ngo

What I do find extremely 2 faced is the rest of the Band - having been aligned to that Petersen guy, they are now turning turk on one of them. They more than likely share the same views. Money talks though and he who pays the piper calls the tune.

This is why I'll never read The Guardian or most mainstream articles. The level of sensationalism and bias is incredible.
    Ngo is a conservative journalist. In 2019, Jacobin magazine described him as “the most dangerous grifter in America” for what they regarded as attempts to incite harassment against left-wing protestors in part through the spread of false claims and selectively edited videos. In a review, the LA Times described Unmasked as “supremely dishonest”.
    - The Guardian

Look at the choices of quotes they use to frame this guy. Andy Ngo is a harmless moderate/conservative at worst.

And as someone that got the **** beaten out of him by Antifa and doxxed by them, I think he's entitled to report on them. Of course The Guardian will skim over that.

https://youtu.be/aC4u1zo6OpQ

I dont know who's who, liberal etc, to be honest.

It was reported in The Independemt as well

One particular poster stands out - it's like liberal and antifa are the same thing to him.

Absolutely agree. If you look at the extremists on both ends, the most vocal, each think the extreme tips represent the rest of us. Not true! We have to stop letting the vocal extremists dictate the narrative.

Radical centrists unite! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,710 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Ngo was one of the few writers/journalists that covered Antifas activities last year.
    He uploaded lots of videos of their violence, racism, and attacks.
    This is an organisation along with BLM that caused 2bn dollars worth of damage across America last year.

The MSM didnt want to cover these mostly peaceful protests.
    The Democrats fundraised to bail these hoodlums out of jail so that they could reoffend.

People tried to ban his book which made the New York Times bestseller list.

Once Antifa and BLM had served their purpose and Biden was in power, everything must be swept under the carpet.

That Petersen guy.....

The Guardian is an absolute rag.

Look at the other articles written by that journalist this month

Britney Spears: congressmen demand hearing on use of conservatorships

Women fell back in race for inclusion in 2020 pop charts

Ian Brown pulls out of music festival over Covid vaccination row

St Vincent: ‘I’d been feral for so long. I was sort of in outer space’

Taylor Swift rebukes Netflix over 'deeply sexist' joke about her love life

Nokotan wrote: »
    If all liberal and conservative leaning people adopted the above everything would be so much better. I think at least 90% of people do, it's the 10% that shout loudest though.

It's the people that go for the fringe and extremist or "alt" degrees. Moderates on both side are fine.

The further you go from center, the more rationale becomes hysteria and ignorance and then oppression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

Andy Ngo and Jordan Peterson both articulate reasonable points of view that should be heard. Ngo's arguments about Antifa — a lawless group that uses violence, threats, intimidation, and destruction to achieve its goals — are sound and timely. Peterson has made numerous good arguments on issues ranging from preferred pronouns to the so-called gender pay gap. He is a tenured professor at a respected Canadian university.

It's now a common tactic for people to dismiss points of view they don't like as "divisive" and "far right." Antifa is trying to prevent people from buying Ngo's book and punishing others for reading it. Employees at Peterson's publisher tried to have his most recent book cancelled before it came out. This is beginning to resemble Soviet totalitarianism, where only officially approved viewpoints can be discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

bjl
    Perfect example of a hugely cowardly, abject failure of a human being.
    Perfect example of how a new breed of authoritarian, sanctimonious, mouthbreathing gickholes work the circuit.

Invidious wrote: »
    Andy Ngo and Jordan Peterson both articulate reasonable points of view that should be heard. Ngo's arguments about Antifa — a lawless group that uses violence, threats, intimidation, and destruction to achieve its goals — are sound and timely. Peterson has made numerous good arguments on issues ranging from preferred pronouns to the so-called gender pay gap. He is a tenured professor at a respected Canadian university.

It's now a common tactic for people to dismiss points of view they don't like as "divisive" and "far right." Antifa is trying to prevent people from buying Ngo's book and punishing others for reading it. Employees at Peterson's publisher tried to have his most recent book cancelled before it came out. This is beginning to resemble Soviet totalitarianism, where only officially approved viewpoints can be discussed.

I'm not well upon American politics whatsoever.

I have never heard of NGO before.

I have heard of Peterson, would not have much time for his way of thinking. Seems like someone hankering after the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

In a move that will shock absolutely nobody, Reddit ban r/SuperStraight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

she's not even black

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

she's not even black

Most of them aren't black .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

keano_afc wrote: »
    In a move that will shock absolutely nobody, Reddit ban r/SuperStraight.

the SSLGBTQI community shouldnt stand for this

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

This is why I'll never read The Guardian or most mainstream articles. The level of sensationalism and bias is incredible.

- The Guardian

Look at the choices of quotes they use to frame this guy. Andy Ngo is a harmless moderate/conservative at worst.

And as someone that got the **** beaten out of him by Antifa and doxxed by them, I think he's entitled to report on them. Of course The Guardian will skim over that.

https://youtu.be/aC4u1zo6OpQ

I've followed Andy ngo on twitter and he does come from a more conservative angle but not far right . If I was in America I'd agree with his views more so than the people he's reporting on. I don't know how you can look at his page and think he's this " hitler " that the woke media try and portray him as . The people in Antifa he reports on are not left wing protestors, they're anarchists.

They smashed up the democratic offices the night biden got elected. They burned out trucks that deliver food for children in school the other day They've been continually vandalizing businesses and attacking cops in Portland for the last year . The cops arrests them and the justice system let's them go . Then you've morons criticizing his reporting on it as facism. While giving the people doing all the destruction a pass because they were against trump.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement