Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

It's getting worse! :rolleyes:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56340162
    A translator from Spain says his version of a poem read at US President Joe Biden's inauguration was rejected because he had the wrong "profile".

Víctor Obiols was commissioned to work on the Catalan translation of Amanda Gorman's The Hill We Climb last month.

But after he completed the project, the publishers said they wanted a translator who was "a woman, young, activist and preferably black".
    It's not how good you are, it's what you are that matters!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Does Denise Chila know any Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

"But if I cannot translate a poet because she is a woman, young, black, an American of the 21st Century, neither can I translate Homer because I am not a Greek of the eighth century BC. Or could not have translated Shakespeare because I am not a 16th-Century Englishman," he added.

Excellent line.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭carfinder

Surely what's good for the goose is good for the gander! Feminists want equality for the sexes so surely this applies for a man being discriminated because of his gender and race!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

carfinder wrote: »
    Surely what's good for the goose is good for the gander! Feminists want equality for the sexes so surely this applies for a man being discriminated because of his gender and race!
    You don't understand 'woke' :), its a perceived pyramid of tiered oppression with cis white privileged males at the very bottom(the worst) and trans at the top(the most oppressed). So being at the bottom you can only 'ally' with the tiers above, you cannot comment against or expect equality on the tiers above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

carfinder wrote: »

logic dont come into it. That is the fight that needs to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

A lot of things that titania has tweeted has later happened. Such as skyscrapers being described as phallic.

It's quite clever satire as it's not that far away from reality.
    People have been describing skyscrapers as phallic since about the 1930s.

737136.jpg?b64lines=ICggd2hpc3BlcnMpIApPaCwgTWFyZ2UsIGdyb3cgdXAhIA==

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

A school teacher in Canada showed a class of 6-year-olds a video entitled Gender: Queer Kid Stuff. The video stated that “some people aren’t boys or girls” and that those who do not feel like a ‘she’ or a ‘he’ might not have a gender.
    On another occasion, the teacher drew a gender spectrum on the board and asked each student to identify where they fit on the spectrum. NB indicated that she was on the furthest end of the spectrum marked “girl.” The teacher then told the class that “girls are not real, and boys are not real”

It got to the point where the child, questioned why her identity as a girl was “not real.” The kid even questioned if she wanted to be a mam when she grew up, leading her to ask to go to the doctor as if to say there was something "wrong" about who she is. This teacher did such a number on the child it felt like it had to do something about the fact that she is a girl. The teacher was sound enough to give a lesson on the concepts of the gender spectrum and sex changes.......the child is 6.

The parents taking it to court did not give consent to the school/teacher to teach this. Not only did the teachers bolloxogy undermine the child's foundational concept of identity, but it contradicted biological reality. Fact!!

The school board tried to get the case dismissed, they argued that classroom discussions about gender identity and gender expression cannot be the basis of a Human Rights Code infringement. The Judge:
    “If everyone has a gender identity, and gender identities are protected under the Code, then NB’s (child) gender identity as a girl should be protected,” said Justice Centre staff lawyer Lisa Bildy. “If the School Board can accommodate the inclusion of trans and other gender identities into the classroom setting, then surely they can accommodate the inclusion of children who experience no discord between their biology and their sense of self.”

These bastards are just sad individuals and I pity them.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/court-to-hear-case-of-6-year-old-traumatized-by-teacher-insisting-girls-arent-real

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Does Denise Chila know any Irish?
    If she grew up here and went through the Irish school system she presumably has as little Irish as everyone else in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Sheeps wrote: »
    If she grew up here and went through the Irish school system she presumably has as little Irish as everyone else in this country.
    :D

Snap!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Just saw this on Twitter. Not exactly wokism of the day but pretty close.

EwH8cUGWgAU00A8?format=jpg&name=medium

Just saw this on Twitter. Not exactly wokism of the day but pretty close

What's the context? Is there some hypocrisy, is it the same people?

Just saw this on Twitter. Not exactly wokism of the day but pretty close.

EwH8cUGWgAU00A8?format=jpg&name=medium

If only a left wing candidate representing the ideals of Occupy Wall Street had risen to unprecedented heights in US politics since 2012.

What's the context? Is there some hypocrisy, is it the same people?

Not a hope. But what else can you expect from a thread where people can't tell the difference between liberal and left?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

A school teacher in Canada showed a class of 6-year-olds a video entitled Gender: Queer Kid Stuff. The video stated that “some people aren’t boys or girls” and that those who do not feel like a ‘she’ or a ‘he’ might not have a gender.

It got to the point where the child, questioned why her identity as a girl was “not real.” The kid even questioned if she wanted to be a mam when she grew up, leading her to ask to go to the doctor as if to say there was something "wrong" about who she is. This teacher did such a number on the child it felt like it had to do something about the fact that she is a girl. The teacher was sound enough to give a lesson on the concepts of the gender spectrum and sex changes.......the child is 6.

The parents taking it to court did not give consent to the school/teacher to teach this. Not only did the teachers bolloxogy undermine the child's foundational concept of identity, but it contradicted biological reality. Fact!!

The school board tried to get the case dismissed, they argued that classroom discussions about gender identity and gender expression cannot be the basis of a Human Rights Code infringement. The Judge:

These bastards are just sad individuals and I pity them.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/court-to-hear-case-of-6-year-old-traumatized-by-teacher-insisting-girls-arent-real

They shouldn't be let near a classroom to spout their sick ideology to children and mess up their heads. I recently seen this crap in new york ,

https://nypost.com/2021/03/06/ny-lawmaker-wants-sex-ed-for-kindergartners/

Get ready for the latest woke wave in education: comprehensive sex ed for kids as young as 5 — thanks to a new bill in the state Senate.

Legislation sponsored by state Sen. Samra G. Brouk, a freshman Democrat from Rochester, would tie New York’s health curriculum to standards written by a left-wing interest group that advocates “Sex Ed for Social Change” — and would make those lessons mandatory statewide.

Under that group’s current standards, public and charter schools would have to teach 5-year-olds about “gender identity” and instruct 8-year-olds on hormone blockers to prevent puberty in transgender-identifying preteens.

Kids as young as 11 would get lectures on “vaginal, oral, and anal sex”; study “queer, two-spirit, asexual, pansexual” and other gender identities; and receive explicit instruction on the use of external and internal condoms, dental dams and other contraceptives.

Brouk told The Post, “I am greatly concerned about the unacceptably high incidence of relationship violence, sexual harassment and assault, and online bullying in our society today. We must equip the next generation with the skills and education they will need to thrive

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Speaking of New York schools

The Grace Church School in Noho — which offers academic courses for junior kindergarten through 12th grade — issued a 12-page guide to students and staff explaining the school’s mission of inclusivity.

The detailed guide recommends using the terms “grown-ups,” “folks,” “family” or “guardians” as alternatives to “mom,” “dad” and “parents.” It also suggests using “caregiver” instead of “nanny/babysitter.”

https://nypost.com/2021/03/10/nyc-school-encourages-kids-to-stop-using-words-mom-dad/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

• Registered Users Posts: 14,710 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/green-party-peer-6pm-curfew-men-disappearance-of-sarah-everard-b923587.html
    Men should be banned from being outdoors after 6pm to 'make women a lot safer' after the abduction and suspected murder of Sarah Everard in London, a Green Party peer has suggested.

Green Party peer Jenny Jones has called for a 6pm curfew for men after the disappearance of Sarah Everard.

"I argue that, at the next opportunity for any Bill that is appropriate, I might put in an amendment to create a curfew for men on the streets after 6 pm. I feel this would make women a lot safer, and discrimination of all kinds would be lessened.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

That's useless, any man can self identify as a woman after 6pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Silly men thinking they should have the right to be out after six. Why would they be angry?

Jesus Christ.

If it's about keeping women safe, shouldnt they be the ones kept inside ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Irish activist and Social Democrat politician Linda Hayden now being outed on Twitter for tweeting some of the most vile racism you're likely to see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,552 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I was loosely affiliated with the Green Party of England & Wales for a while. This doesn't surprise me neither in its sexism, misandry, sheer stupidity or impracticality. It's frankly disgusting that they're using this woman's death to score petty points like this.

The Greens are a "progressive" party. I dissociated myself from them when I saw one of senior people at my local branch sharing news items involving men dying and making fun of them. Same individual was pushing hard to have male performers excluded from gigs a few days a week on the campus I worked at at the time.

They were also for House of Lords reform but that didn't stop Jenny Jones from leaping for a handout, nor former leader Natalie Bennett. Principles stop at the point where palms can be greased it would seem.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

If it's about keeping women safe, shouldnt they be the ones kept inside ?

In fairness it does work like that, however. .... I have been attacked on one occasion, it happens to men to and usual it from other men.... I am much more aware of my surroundings and even as a guy heading home late at night on my own is a risk that I have taken... and if I see a woman I stay well back because I do know she might be intimated. ....

However much of the stories from today's twitter fest failed to mention that not only was a man arrested but a woman was also arrested for assisting him.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-56351135
    A woman, in her 30s, is also in custody after being arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.

Be careful. But stories like I look in the back of my car before I get in, I make sure I lock the doors, I reverse into a car space for a quick get away...

I lock my doors if I get stuck at pedestrian lights, I just do it out of caution.

These might be things you should be aware of as a Driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Baroness Jones got the idea from Israel's former Prime Minister Golda Meir.
    Once in a Cabinet we had to deal with the fact that there had been an outbreak of assaults on women at night.
    One minister suggested a curfew; women should stay home after dark.

I said, 'But it's the men who are attacking the women. If there's to be a curfew, let the men stay home, not the women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Irish activist and Social Democrat politician Linda Hayden now being outed on Twitter for tweeting some of the most vile racism you're likely to see.
    LOL

I just had a look. Holy ****. I don't really agree with canceling people but for once I can see why people are getting annoyed.

What a scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    LOL

Black people, Travellers and Romanians were targeted by her on Twitter, and that's just from a cursory glance. She has deleted her account.

There are also victims of sexual assault who spoke to her through her advocacy group that claim she deleted valuable evidence and also went to the Gardai on their behalf without their consent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement