Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

rightmove wrote: »
    Anyone else remember this big manhole stuff from the 80's vote now lads an lassies. !!!!!!!!!!!

step right up
    step right up!

Why not just accuse me of making it up?
    Of lying?

That argument was around in the 80's whether you remember it or not.
    I'll not harp on any more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

Why not just accuse me of making it up?
    Of lying?

That argument was around in the 80's whether you remember it or not.
    I'll not harp on any more about it.

your making it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

According to APStylebook
    "Mistress" is out, "companion" is in.
    Or maybe just don't cheat?

https://twitter.com/APStylebook/status/1382006538026561537?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 33,334 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

biko wrote: »
    According to APStylebook
    "Mistress" is out, "companion" is in.
    Or maybe just don't cheat?

https://twitter.com/APStylebook/status/1382006538026561537?s=20

Try selling that one to the BDSM community...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

apparently Google has been malfunctioning lately.

Recalling the 'manhole' thing from years ago, I'd have said it was the 70's. Anyway, I googled and found reference to this being an issue in the 80's. Apparently the 'Tory' press was alight with stories of looney left London councils banning the word 'manhole' amongst other silly stuff. Turns out it was , wait for it.....Fake News! But the fake news did make an actual appearance in the 80's.

https://books.google.ie/books?id=9-YIg6MaUNAC&pg=PA70&lpg=PA70&dq=the+word+manhole+gender+1980s&source=bl&ots=0G9wS7NAoq&sig=ACfU3U1-F1RTab4IQJSN1YZ2XPQ3cb8SWw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi72I_h3fvvAhWmaRUIHdudC-sQ6AEwEnoECA4QAw#v=onepage&q=the%20word%20manhole%20gender%201980s&f=false

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,297 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Is a ‘person hole’ going to be a thing now ?

Maybe they’ll outlaw just being male / female/ men / woman

Change it to M-being, F-Being, GF-being, TS-Being.

apparently Google has been malfunctioning lately.

Recalling the 'manhole' thing from years ago, I'd have said it was the 70's. Anyway, I googled and found reference to this being an issue in the 80's. Apparently the 'Tory' press was alight with stories of looney left London councils banning the word 'manhole' amongst other silly stuff. Turns out it was , wait for it.....Fake News! But the fake news did make an actual appearance in the 80's.

https://books.google.ie/books?id=9-YIg6MaUNAC&pg=PA70&lpg=PA70&dq=the+word+manhole+gender+1980s&source=bl&ots=0G9wS7NAoq&sig=ACfU3U1-F1RTab4IQJSN1YZ2XPQ3cb8SWw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi72I_h3fvvAhWmaRUIHdudC-sQ6AEwEnoECA4QAw#v=onepage&q=the%20word%20manhole%20gender%201980s&f=false

You made that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Person hole sounds dreadful. Glad that never caught on.

Maybe just me but it sounds rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,334 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

biko wrote: »
    Is this a "my truth" / "your truth" thing?

Well, you're the one trawling Twitter looking for stuff to be outraged - you tell us?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

You made that up.

Dang, for 19 minutes I thought I'd gotten away with it. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Person hole sounds dreadful. Glad that never caught on.

Maybe just me but it sounds rude.

Person orifice
    More polite.

Well, you're the one trawling Twitter looking for stuff to be outraged - you tell us?

I have a twitter account, and posted on it twice, many years ago, commenting on a GP candidate's tweets.

Anyway, last night , for fun, I spent half an hour just trawling through an account called Tatiana someone or other. She had a compilation of tweets of some of those latest logical and linguistic gymnastics. God, I had a headache (well almost) after scrolling through them. Glad I don't make a habit of it.

however, its got to be remembered , the tweets are actually* reports of something in the real world, albeit probably not on the front (or middle or back ) pages of eg. the Irish Times.

edit to clarify SEEM to be*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Trying to escape the woke I went to the ukpolitics subreddit, and found this
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/idris-elba-luther-black-drama-crime-bbc-diversity-chief-8dgzjkx7v

Idris Elba’s Luther ‘isn’t black enough to be real’, says BBC diversity chief

The character of John Luther only became black when Idris Elba was given the lead role in the series, which also stars Ruth Wilson as the research scientist Alice Morgan.
    Matthew Moore, Media Correspondent
    Wednesday April 14 2021, 12.01am, The Times

As one of the first prime time television dramas starring a black actor in the title role, Luther broke new ground for on-screen representation.

Idris Elba’s depiction of the obsessive detective John Luther earned him a clutch of best actor awards including a Golden Globe, as well as recognition from the NAACP, America’s foremost civil rights organisation.

There is just one problem with the character, according to a BBC diversity chief: he’s not authentically black enough. Miranda Wayland cited the popular crime drama as an example of a series that is only superficially diverse, as the corporation seeks for more convincing and rounded portrayals of minority groups.

Edit full article here
    https://old.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/mqejcd/idris_elbas_luther_isnt_black_enough_to_be_real/gufhngi/?context=3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Trying to escape the woke I went to the ukpolitics subreddit, and found this
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/idris-elba-luther-black-drama-crime-bbc-diversity-chief-8dgzjkx7v

Idris Elba’s Luther ‘isn’t black enough to be real’, says BBC diversity chief

The character of John Luther only became black when Idris Elba was given the lead role in the series, which also stars Ruth Wilson as the research scientist Alice Morgan.

Edit full article here
    https://old.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/mqejcd/idris_elbas_luther_isnt_black_enough_to_be_real/gufhngi/?context=3

I was just about to post that! Apparently it's because he doesn't have any black friends or eats caribbean food!

So the complaint is that the show did not make him stereotypically black!

Wokeism going full circle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I was just about to post that! Apparently it's because he doesn't have any black friends or eats caribbean food!

So the complaint is that the show did not make him stereotypically black!

Wokeism going full circle!!

You want me to believe this character is black !? Well then, where is his afro and why isn't he rapping?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

I would have loved to see him as Bond instead of Daniel Craig but now I suspect wokies would not be happy with a black Bond unless he was also behaving like Shaft.
    In any case Luther is on a totally different level than Bond, I highly recommend it.

This should maybe go into unpopular opinions but I do not find Idris Elba attractive. I know, the horror. I am sure he is heart broken. There is something just too cute about his face. Makes one go awwwww instead of mmm mmmmmmm.

As you were. Apologies for the devastation this has caused. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Elmo wrote: »
    While not defending the statement you will find that people in poor areas will general fair worse in terms of health care.

If you take Dublin you probably have better health in the general population in Dalkey (and an older population) than you might expect to see in an area like Darndale (and a younger population). There might be other factors such as people moving out of Darndale to find better places to live.

You could do the same research on the Traveling community, which would show that their life expectancy is much lower than the rest of the general population.

Some of this will relate to where power resides in a society and for this reason you will see historical factors coming into play. African Americans (those from slavery rather than new African Americans) will probably see a lower life expectancy than their European, Asian or Middle Eastern counterparts, due to the history, but you might find similar lower life expectancy in poor areas of the states that doesn't relate to these history issues.

North America also has a major homeless problem from my experience.

That's just my take.
    I fecked up my health insurance between jobs and had required lifesaving surgery as a public patient in tallaght as it couldn’t wait .... amazing service.... sometimes rough and ready is better for these things , get in and get out and no mollycoddling:)

Eternally grateful

This should maybe go into unpopular opinions but I do not find Idris Elba attractive. I know, the horror. I am sure he is heart broken. There is something just too cute about his face. Makes one go awwwww instead of mmm mmmmmmm.

As you were. Apologies for the devastation this has caused. :(

That is because you're racist and you don't see him as the strong black man he really is.

• Advertisement

Cordell wrote: »
    I would have loved to see him as Bond instead of Daniel Craig but now I suspect wokies would not be happy with a black Bond unless he was also behaving like Shaft.
    In any case Luther is on a totally different level than Bond, I highly recommend it.

He’d be a great bond actually

He’d be a great bond actually

He definitely would, or would have, I think he's too old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

He definitely would, or would have, I think he's too old now.

typical ageism happening here.

Both Rodger Moore and Sean Connery played the part in their late 50s/ early 60s.

I apologize for my early ageist comment, I realize some people will find offense in it because they are looking really hard.
    Am I doing it right?

Actually he's only 48, I thought he's in his 60s, it must be that gray beard that threw me off.
    He's definitely good for a Bond then. Even better than the current one.

That is because you're racist and you don't see him as the strong black man he really is.

I am presuming this is a joke or sarcasm on your behalf. There are lots of black actors I find hot. Idris is too cute to be hot...for my tastes. I don't like cute in a man. I like it when they look as if they have stared for ragged aeons into the abyss and when the abyss stared back at them they spat cynically into its eye. :pac:

I am presuming this is a joke or sarcasm on your behalf. There are lots of black actors I find hot. Idris is too cute to be hot...for my tastes. I don't like cute in a man. I like it when they look as if they have stared for ragged aeons into the abyss and when the abyss stared back at them they spat cynically into its eye. :pac:

I thought Roger Nsengiyumva fits that criteria, only he’s very young, I said to myself that guy has seen shi1t, quick check on his IMDb and low and behold he’s a refugee from the Rwandan genocide

I thought Roger Nsengiyumva fits that criteria, only he’s very young, I said to myself that guy has seen shi1t, quick check on his IMDb and low and behold he’s a refugee from the Rwandan genocide

I will check him out when he is a bit older and more ragged at the edges.

Bond must be handsome, have some distinction about him and even a bit posh. Idris Elba fits, but I'm sorry (I'm not really) to say this, this guy doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I apologize for my early ageist comment, I realize some people will find offense in it because they are looking really hard.
    Am I doing it right?

Actually he's only 48, I thought he's in his 60s, it must be that gray beard that threw me off.
    He's definitely good for a Bond then. Even better than the current one.

FFS but seriously. You being beardist. Just because some people (#womenHaveBeardsToo) grey beards doesn't mean they are old. It's like looking at Britian's Prince William as a Bald man and saying he's old looking, just because Paul Rudd looks like a teenager at 50. No offence to teenagers who act like 50 year olds.

Prince William looks old regardless of hair. :D

• Advertisement

I'm in my 40s and I have a grey beard. But I know this is exactly what a beardist would say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement