Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

TomSweeney wrote: »
    I mean I've been enjoying the new series of Line of Duty but it's been annoying me that Scottish DI Jo Davidson (played by Kelly MacDonald - thank God the actress is Scottish at least), has never once been seen eating Haggis.

I mean, fair enough they have 3 more episodes to fix this, here's hoping for some genuine Scottish representation.

I mean WTAF , we are living in a clown world where someone with a made up job "head of diversity" has this power over the BBC.
    And then when they DO have a "diverse" character (what does that even mean, isn't Idris Elba from London ???) he isn't black enough apparently.

Stop that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

retalivity wrote: »
    June Sarpong from Popworld, T4 and Extras is director of diversity at the BBC??
    I thought her name was Miranda Wayland ? or is there a few of them in these made up roles ?

Good to see the TV license fee in the UK is well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Back to the Luther thing ... from CNN
    https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/14/entertainment/bbc-diversity-luther-scli-intl-gbr/index.html

In fairness she has a point, I mean I've been enjoying the new series of Line of Duty but it's been annoying me that Scottish DI Jo Davidson (played by Kelly MacDonald - thank God the actress is Scottish at least), has never once been seen eating Haggis.

I mean, fair enough they have 3 more episodes to fix this, here's hoping for some genuine Scottish representation.

I mean WTAF , we are living in a clown world where someone with a made up job "head of diversity" has this power over the BBC.
    And then when they DO have a "diverse" character (what does that even mean, isn't Idris Elba from London ???) he isn't black enough apparently.

She’s a divil for the deep fried heroin though

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Does non-black diversity officers even exist?
    Chinese? Brazilian? Indian? I only see Africans elevated to these roles.

I remember the Adoption policies of the 1970s (and earlier)where occasionally black children were adopted by white English couples and were given free reign on how they brought up those children, most turned out as completely English in attitude and way of thinking.
    These people broke all the stereotype rules going, they were "white people with black skins". I had a school friend who was adopted, the only thing about him that was different was the skin colour.

Then adoption agencies started to divide up by race, so instead of integration, there was segregation.
    biko wrote: »
    My old school friend would be a perfect shoe in. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

given that we all came from Africa, anyone wanting to be promoted in outfits like the BBC should self identify as black, its not like they can ask for proof. lean into the madness

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Australian twerking Navy causes a storm in a teacup!.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-56754868

retalivity wrote: »
    June Sarpong from Popworld, T4 and Extras is director of diversity at the BBC??

The irony of this is the scene in Extras where Gervais is mocking her about wanting to be a serious journalist actually has been prophetic regarding this hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

That is hilarious. What were they thinking.

It's a funny story that. These people claiming to be fighting against racism occasionally drop the mask and expose themselves for being the biggest racists of all. I mean, the caribbean food thing is incredibly stupid. If a white person said those same comments I'm sure there would be calls for them to sacked by the BBC.

Yep, spot on such a good point, they would be cancelled for showing such narrow minded stereotypical attitudes.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    Stop that.
    Oh good jaysus! , thanks for pointing it out, i've edited the original post.
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Slide from a diversity training

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Yep, spot on such a good point, they would be cancelled for showing such narrow minded stereotypical attitudes.

You see it also with political beliefs in UK and US. I have seen so many black conservatives attacked for their politics online. I just don’t understand it.
    It’s one thing to apply stereotypes to a group eg group A often vote for party X. However, when dealing with an individual they are not obligated to fall into a category or behave in a certain way because of stereotypes.
    Many people online argue that progressives are racists. I dismissed this view at first but now I am starting to think they are on to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

In fairness she has a point, I mean I've been enjoying the new series of Line of Duty but it's been annoying me that Scottish DI Jo Davidson (played by Kelly MacDonald - thank God the actress is Scottish at least), has never once been seen eating Haggis.

fair enough they have 3 more episodes to fix this, here's hoping for some genuine Scottish representation.

RTE need to get a Diversity officer too.
    How many of the characters in Fair City are genuine, do they eat cabbage and bacon every day ?
    I'm off to write a letter of complaint to RTE to express my outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

If he thinks its because he's Italian then I don't think he should have a problem, after all she is pointing out he is fat, I think she got away with it TBH. Good to hear he's on a diet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Imaginary Michael: “Dear HR, I had a dreadful experience in the canteen today and I’d like to file a grievance. The next 11 pages will briefly outline what happened...”

Real world Michael: “Shut the fcuk up, Cindy. I’ll eat what I want.”

image.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

image.jpg

I seriously doubt that's real.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Don't forget top stuff like Loose Women, Your Face or Mine?, Wag's Boutique and Jesse Ventura's Conspiracy Theories.
    All top notch stuff though she does have a great (annoying) laugh.:pac:

She disappeared for a few years and then re-emerged as author of the must have CV fillers 'Diversify: Six Degrees of integration' and 'The Power of Women' ---> BBC Diversity director. And there ya have it.
    It helped that her public political forays aligned completely with the BBC - opposing Scots Indy and supporting Remain.

She can spot an easy and lucrative sinecure-££££££ for sure!

Loose Women is top notch stuff? **** me:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

Where they are a minority the white man is not diversity, but oppressions.
    Hence there's no place for whites in diversity roles.

image.jpg

Imagine the gimp that came up with that ?

Made up jobs indeed ...

• Advertisement

mohawk wrote: »
    You see it also with political beliefs in UK and US. I have seen so many black conservatives attacked for their politics online. I just don’t understand it.
    It’s one thing to apply stereotypes to a group eg group A often vote for party X. However, when dealing with an individual they are not obligated to fall into a category or behave in a certain way because of stereotypes.
    Many people online argue that progressives are racists. I dismissed this view at first but now I am starting to think they are on to something.

Oh yes, they hate black people that have the "incorrect" opinions, they can't stand that they can think for themselves and don't blindly follow the church of woke.

Something for the wokies to genuinely get their teef into.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56757566
    A group of school students in Texas have been disciplined for setting up a "Slave Trade" messaging group that assigned prices to their black peers.
    Messages shared on the Snapchat app at a school in Aledo said one student was worth a dollar and another "100 bucks", the New York Times reported.
    The school district conducted an inquiry and found "racial harassment and cyber bullying" had occurred.
    But some parents accused authorities of failing to respond appropriately.
    School students at the Daniel Ninth Grade Campus in Aledo had posted messages on a group Snapchat that was reportedly labelled with terms such as "farm" and "auction".

A genuine piece of racism, for a change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

buckwheat wrote: »
    Loose Women is top notch stuff? **** me:confused:
    Erm, nope.

Imagine the gimp that came up with that ?

Made up jobs indeed ...

Michael could do with a bit of fat shaming if anything :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

Brian? wrote: »

I can seriously tell you that's quite possibly real.
    I can't be sure on this particular one, but I've been through cultural sensitivity and inclusion and diversity training and that's what it's all about, the work place is a safe space devoid of any kind of banter that can be taken as offensive or microaggression even when the one that takes offence is merely a bystander overhearing it. Even things like reading in the open articles that are against immigration are covered by this, god forbid some minority person sees it by accident and gets emotionally scarred by the fact they work with a xenophobe racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Cordell wrote: »
    I can't be sure on this particular one, but I've been through cultural sensitivity and inclusion and diversity training and that's what it's all about, the work place is a safe space devoid of any kind of banter that can be taken as offensive or microaggression even when the one that takes offence is merely a bystander overhearing it. Even things like reading in the open articles that are against immigration are covered by this, god forbid some minority person sees it by accident and gets emotionally scarred by the fact they work with a xenophobe racist.

Well exactly. I was going to say isn't that slide exactly what you'd expect to get in diversty training. If not what does one think you get.

Brian? wrote: »

if I have learned anything over the last couple of years is that parody and reality are closing the gap to the point you cant tell

Cordell wrote: »

this seems to be source of it, its not an obvious troll or parody account, you takes your chances I guess

https://twitter.com/worrierprincess/status/1382096186975383552

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Erm, nope.

Aaah. I get jokes......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The great thing about that article is who is getting offended and what is offensive. And then who is offended by the outrage. Then how those who are offended by others being offended are now offensive. It's funny watching them go round and round in offended circles.

BTW, I am right now doing Cultural & Diversity training for my job. I am learning how to not be racist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement