Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

Handbags for men? Harry Styles says yes

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/fashion/article/harry-styles-handbag

HarryGucciBeloved.jpeg

Honestly, these silly children imagine they are inventing the wheel.

Boy+George+arrives+Vivienne+Westwood+show+cyuZ00Hp66Ox.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

David Bowie and Marc Bolan were doing that 50 years ago when it was actually edgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Harry Styles works for Gucci as a brand ambassador. He is paid to flog their tat.

Nothing more than product placement. Lap it up lemmings. Buy buy buy

https://www.vogue.co.uk/miss-vogue/article/harry-styles-gucci

That rent boy will wear whatever he is told to in exchange for USD.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

there was some female green party councilor on the news tonight in rte saying that the new reduced speed limits were required for vulnerable, old people and women. ...yes ...for women ...FFS. If I was a woman I would be getting embarrassed by this kinda nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

EddieN75 wrote: »
    Harry Styles works for Gucci as a brand ambassador. He is paid to flog their tat.

Nothing more than product placement. Lap it up lemmings. Buy buy buy

That rent boy will wear whatever he is told to in exchange for USD.

Old clothes from the 70's could be worth big bucks now, good man Harry.
    Bell bottoms and sheepskin jackets back in vogue, you'd probably have thrown them out a few years ago.
    They say fashion is cyclical.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

rightmove wrote: »
    there was some female green party councilor on the news tonight in rte saying that the new reduced speed limits were required for vulnerable, old people and women. ...yes ...for women ...FFS. If I was a woman I would be getting embarrassed by this kinda nonsense.

Surprised they didn't add trans women of colour to that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

How does a self proclaimed trans man deal with the fact that, as a man, they got pregnant? Not saying that is the case above, but I'd be freaked out if I could suddenly get pregnant (and wouldn't notice for a good few months, thank you food belly).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

In fairness I always thought it was dangerous for women to be driving faster than 30km an hour .

In fairness I always thought it was dangerous for women to be driving faster than 30km an hour .
    Watch it you! :pac:

But yes, "women = vulnerable"... baffling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

She is slipping. She typed whiteness with a capital W

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

I wonder did she mean to add "and woman" onto the end or is it just force of habit at this stage?

Some deletions I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod
    Some posts were deleted as they were less than civil. Those that continue on that track and sanctions will be stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

I'm more surprised that someone from the Green Party actually said "women". Not very inclusive. Bigot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ingalway wrote: »
    I'm more surprised that someone from the Green Party actually said "women". Not very inclusive. Bigot.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2021/0423/1211737-dublin-speed-limit/
    But Councillor Donna Cooney (Green) says lower speeds save lives saying the fatality rate for pedestrians can be reduced by 80% if motorists travel at 30km/h instead of 50. She said that vulnerable cyclists such as the elderly and children also need segregation.

She does say at the very end "eh emm and women!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

To end fatphobia, we need to dismantle Western civilization, says Philly therapist Sonalee Rashatwar
    Her comments on the Christchurch shooter
    “The language that I used in that talk that I gave was actually that I was not surprised that the person who shot up the mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand, was also a fitness instructor. I was not surprised by that because people who are Nazis, people who are white supremacists, people who are trying to think of the perfect race are also super fatphobic. … Oftentimes it’s very eugenic.”

:pac:

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Elmo wrote: »

She does say at the very end "eh emm and women!"

Just looked again "children, older people and women"

that bit has been deliberately left out of the article that accompanies the newsreel

checking it from 1:15 - 1:30 for what Donna says ...unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

• Advertisement

Just looked again "children, older people and women"

that bit has been deliberately left out of the article that accompanies the newsreel

checking it from 1:15 - 1:30 for what Donna says ...unreal

Yeah I'd say someone if not the writer said "really, and women?" or it's just that report is a Man and well.... men!

EddieN75 wrote: »
    In its FAQ section, it provides a response used often in the neopronoun community when talking to people who claim neopronouns “aren’t real words”: “Yes, literally every word is made up! Neopronouns are real because they carry meaning and are understood by others.”

By whom?

I assume that everyone here uses elmo, elmoself, elmo's wait isn't that just my username.

So we could avoid pronouns and made up pronouns by using people's names. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

David Bowie and Marc Bolan were doing that 50 years ago when it was actually edgy.

And with Harry, he just comes across as a PR puppet. Not remotely daring. It’s a lot less edgy to wear that stuff now than 40-50 years ago.

And with Harry, he just comes across as a PR puppet. Not remotely daring. It’s a lot less edgy to wear that stuff now than 40-50 years ago.

Do this these days is a case of peaching to the converted. Follow the mob. When Bowie did it it might incite a mob.! Really does say alot. ironically if they went on TV with the exact opposite mindset it would actually be edgy and controversial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Do this these days is a case of peaching to the converted. Follow the mob. When Bowie did it it might incite a mob.! Really does say alot. ironically if they went on TV with the exact opposite mindset it would actually be edgy and controversial.

Indeed. I’d probably notice a man walking by with a handbag but the reaction would be “Oh right. Anyway...”. Now maybe Harry does just enjoy dressing this way and if so, good luck to him. But I think it comes across like “Look how free-spirited I am, all you boring dweebs!” and I’m thinking “Ahhhh, maybe work on having interesting music there instead, Harry”. All our gender benders from back in the day were also supremely talented and interesting. The gender bending was just an added bonus. Whereas Harry is a dull boy. I’ve never seen an interesting interview with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

"Nobody cares if a man is carrying a handbag" they say, moaning about a man carrying a handbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Rather strangely my dad had a handbag in the eighties. A little leather one. He would use it during the summer when he didn't have enough pockets.

This is a rather large rugby player type from the country. So not very effeminate.

Sorry not relevant but a strange memory now I think about it. You often see French men with them as well.

Maybe men should have handbags. They have backpacks, why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭jackboy

Because they would be a pain in the hole. They are not effective. No matter the size of handbag, it will be quickly overloaded with junk and have to be lugged around pointlessly. Wallet keys and phone, nothing else is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

jackboy wrote: »
    Because they would be a pain in the hole. They are not effective. No matter the size of handbag, it will be quickly overloaded with junk and have to be lugged around pointlessly. Wallet keys and phone, nothing else is needed.

And where do you put your book then?

Men are weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Rather strangely my dad had a handbag in the eighties. A little leather one.

I remember having a bum bag as a child growing up in the 80’s. I didn’t want to wear it any more when I found out what Americans call it...

Just googled, they still do :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement