Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

Bad day for the wokes and the Minister for Peter Tatchell Roderic O'Gorman. Sweden phasing out puberty blockers.

https://segm.org/sites/default/files/Karolinska%20_Policy_Statement_English.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1390000095270219777

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1390094458700681224

Warner Bros desperately trying to not seem like a racist studio with this virtue signaling "Black Superman" nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 28,930 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Amazing the way people pretend not to see this, surely the likes of Megan Rapinoe when she says "I earn way less than Messi, JUST BECAUSE I AM A WOMAN" - realise it's a crock of shyte ?

She must understand basic economics ?

Megan Rapinoe is the sole cause of all this, and it isn't even her fault. In the US the female Soccer team makes just as much if not more than the male soccer team. And therefore in the US there is a very valid argument to be made about the female soccer stars getting equal pay with their male counterparts.

In Ireland, between Camogie and Hurling there is no real comparison so the argument is very much invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CarProblem

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

CarProblem wrote: »

not non-binary is that just binary :pac: Any way that ant isn't aren't an ant it's they're ..... an uncle :D
    "Moving forward the 'they' can and should be used as a suffix to new species for those that want to be identified outside of the gender binary," says study author Dr. Douglas Booher of Yale University

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Warner Bros desperately trying to not seem like a racist studio with this virtue signaling "Black Superman" nonsense

Will they be getting a vampire and Alien in to provide some insights from their lives for the movies also i wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Quazzie wrote: »
    Megan Rapinoe is the sole cause of all this, and it isn't even her fault. In the US the female Soccer team makes just as much if not more than the male soccer team. And therefore in the US there is a very valid argument to be made about the female soccer stars getting equal pay with their male counterparts.

In Ireland, between Camogie and Hurling there is no real comparison so the argument is very much invalid.

Their case was largely tossed out of court because they actually have a better contract then the men's team and they had outright rejected equal contract terms because unlike the men's team, who's contract is 'pay for play' those on the women's team contract are guaranteed pay regardless of play and have better base salaries. All this they chose instead of pay for play and a higher performance bonus structure.

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/02/849492863/federal-judge-dismisses-u-s-womens-soccer-team-s-equal-pay-claim

"The WNT [Women's National Team] rejected an offer to be paid under the same pay-to-play structure as the MNT [Men's National Team] and ... the WNT was willing to forgo higher bonuses for other benefits, such as greater base compensation and the guarantee of a higher number of contracted players," Klausner wrote. "Accordingly, Plaintiffs cannot now retroactively deem their CBA worse than the MNT CBA by reference to what they would have made had they been paid under the MNT's pay-to-play structure when they themselves rejected such a structure."
    The judge said the women's contract guarantees players will be paid regardless of whether they play. The men are paid if they are called into camp to play and then participate in a match. On this point, Klausner said, the plaintiff's statements "were insufficient to establish a genuine dispute."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Then why hire a racist like Ta-Nehisi Coates?

Coates recently got in a spat with Jordan Peterson for re-framing The Red Skull (an actual WW2 Nazi in the comics) into the 'real Nazi threat for the modern age', a Youtuber based on Jordan Peterson, a milquetoast pop psychologist that gives advice about cleaning your room and washing your balls....

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1379278957510541321?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1379278957510541321%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.esquire.com%2Fentertainment%2Fa36040301%2Fjordan-peterson-ta-nehisi-coates-captain-america-red-skull-response-explained%2F

Coates, is a race-hussler of the worst and most divisive kind, he bombed sales of Black Panther and turned Captian America into an antifa supporter... Good luck with your choice of writer DC! A man that admits he hates America and writes comics as subversion. I'm sure he's perfect for the Superman gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Sure nothing like racial discrimination to show non racism - refusing to have white people involved is plain old racism less we forget

Bit like the Falcon and winter soldier - it was all about being black - sad really but then again maybe i just don't understand

conorhal wrote: »
    Their case was largely tossed out of court because they actually have a better contract then the men's team and they had outright rejected equal contract terms because unlike the men's team, who's contract is 'pay for play' those on the women's team contract are guaranteed pay regardless of play and have better base salaries. All this they chose instead of pay for play and a higher performance bonus structure.

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/02/849492863/federal-judge-dismisses-u-s-womens-soccer-team-s-equal-pay-claim

In order for the USF to get Men to play for their county their wages need to be compensated while on international duty.
    Men’s domestic football generates vastly more money than their female counterparts hence the clubs have to be compensated to release the players for international duty.

The US Men will get a minimum 12m dollars prizemoney if they qualify for the next World Cup , the women got 4m for winning the last World Cup.
    The US will also host the 2026 Mens World Cup.

The women were offered the same deal as the men but they turned it down because they would lose the security they had on their old contract.
    Men only get paid when they represent their country.
    No play no pay .

Women get paid regardless, a proportion of their base salary and bonus if the win a game .
    Plus the male players earn the bulk of their income from their clubs in the MLS who pay their wages.

The MLS is in a different league financially and support wise compared to the NWSL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭newhouse87

anti woke myself but no harm in having a black superman, for black kids im sure it would be nice for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Cyclonius

conorhal wrote: »
    Then why hire a racist like Ta-Nehisi Coates?

Coates recently got in a spat with Jordan Peterson for re-framing The Red Skull (an actual WW2 Nazi in the comics) into the 'real Nazi threat for the modern age', a Youtuber based on Jordan Peterson, a milquetoast pop psychologist that gives advice about cleaning your room and washing your balls....

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1379278957510541321?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1379278957510541321%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.esquire.com%2Fentertainment%2Fa36040301%2Fjordan-peterson-ta-nehisi-coates-captain-america-red-skull-response-explained%2F

Coates, is a race-hussler of the worst and most divisive kind, he bombed sales of Black Panther and turned Captian America into an antifa supporter... Good luck with your choice of writer DC! A man that admits he hates America and writes comics as subversion. I'm sure he's perfect for the Superman gig.

On the other hand, Peterson did turn the situation into an amusing line of merchandise, so something useful (and profitable) did come of it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/JordanPeterson/comments/mmkw4a/hail_lobster/
    https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1380707354321293315?lang=en

EykGvh1WQAMtGPq?format=jpg

Hail Lobster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

newhouse87 wrote: »
    anti woke myself but no harm in having a black superman, for black kids im sure it would be nice for them.

I am on the fence about this. As a woman I roll my eyes at things like the all female cast for ghostbusters, because women don’t need to be rewritten into what has gone before. I think we should have new stories and new characters for women instead of recasting. Part of me wonders if it’s just pure virtue signalling and laziness. One of reasons I had thought Black panther was so popular is because he was not only a black super hero but a black man (the culture and traditions of Wakanda).
    Superman is an Alien that landed in rural Kansas. You either end up with a story so different from original that it may as well be a completely different superhero or you end up with a story that stays close to the original and gets criticism for character ‘not being black enough’. Now perhaps the writer and director can get the balance right only time will tell.

mohawk wrote: »
    I am on the fence about this. As a woman I roll my eyes at things like the all female cast for ghostbusters, because women don’t need to be rewritten into what has gone before. I think we should have new stories and new characters for women instead of recasting. Part of me wonders if it’s just pure virtue signalling and laziness. One of reasons I had thought Black panther was so popular is because he was not only a black super hero but a black man (the culture and traditions of Wakanda).
    Superman is an Alien that landed in rural Kansas. You either end up with a story so different from original that it may as well be a completely different superhero or you end up with a story that stays close to the original and gets criticism for character ‘not being black enough’. Now perhaps the writer and director can get the balance right only time will tell.

Yeah i just dont think any harm as he has been white so long and would be nice for black kids just like dolls for kids which now are more representative of society which is a good thing, i agree new characters may be the way forward but it looks like everything is going to be- re-written, i dont however think the director has to be black, if he/she is so be it but it should not be due to being black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Yeah i just dont think any harm as he has been white so long and would be nice for black kids just like dolls for kids which now are more representative of society which is a good thing, i agree new characters may be the way forward but it looks like everything is going to be- re-written, i dont however think the director has to be black, if he/she is so be it but it should not be due to being black.

The black population of the USA make up only 13 percent of the population while Hispanics make up 18 percent. Iv yet to hear the Hispanics pushing for more representation than their percentage of population.

Did you know that black men got the right to vote in the United States before white women did.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

No issues with having a black Superman. Why the divisive need to advertise for a black only director? What does the director’s skin colour have to do with the a non visual part of the job? It’s not as if they’re calling on someone’s “lived experience” for a crucial historical role. It’s a comic book character like?!

Omackeral wrote: »
    No issues with having a black Superman. Why the divisive need to advertise for a black only director? What does the director’s skin colour have to do with the a non visual part of the job? It’s not as if they’re calling on someone’s “lived experience” for a crucial historical role. It’s a comic book character like?!

yes this is exactly what im saying.

EddieN75 wrote: »
    The black population of the USA make up only 13 percent of the population while Hispanics make up 18 percent. Iv yet to hear the Hispanics pushing for more representation than their percentage of population.

Did you know that black men got the right to vote in the United States before white women did.

I already said im anti-woke on the vast majority of things, but it is a nice touch for black kids i think, would also have been nice for Hispanics kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

I already said im anti-woke on the vast majority of things, but it is a nice touch for black kids i think, would also have been nice for Hispanics kids.

Nice is one thing but making money and a profitable movie is another. Especially after such a year of disruption. This wokery will come back to bite them in the bum

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I agree but there are other heroes that are black.

I'd be more worried that they will soften Blade.

But I'd like to see a good Cyborg film that would produce a black superhero.

TBH The CW-verse is destroying DC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Yes, there is no issue with a black superman, I believe there have been 2 in the comics.

What WB are proposing is a black Kal El Superman though which is just wrong on so many levels.

Personally I believe that this is just a PR stunt by WB to distance itself from the recent allegations made against it.

Geoff Johns allegedly blocked Bridgerton star Regé-Jean Page from playing Superman’s grandfather on Krypton because he didn’t want the character to be Black, which most people would agree is logical and not racist.

A number of other accusations have come to light in the wake of Ray Fisher’s reports of misconduct on the set of Justice League.

WB have concocted this new idea, which in all likelihood will never get made.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

^^^
    The New York Post........that rings a bell........ oh yeah, (Link)
    New York Post reporter quits after being ‘forced’ to write false story on Kamala Harris

And all the while conservatives lose their sh*t talking about Fake News from the MSM and ignore Fox News arguing in court that no one could be expected to believe Tucker Carlson.
    'Accuse others of that which you are guilty' should be stamped on their foreheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Omackeral wrote: »

ta nahesi coates entire career is based off guilting comic companies to hire him just to show they're not racist. His stuff is boring so they'd want to gussy that script up a lot if or they'll have a turkey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

• Registered Users Posts: 28,930 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Superman is white though. It's not like saying a Black Pope, or a Black President. They are roles. Superman is a character, and that character is white.

It's like a Biography of Hitler and having a Black actor play him.

Superman is white though. It's not like saying a Black Pope, or a Black President. They are roles. Superman is a character, and that character is white.

Superman is not real though??

Comparisons with hitler/real people are beyond parody

• Registered Users Posts: 33,334 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Superman's not even human, let alone white.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

Superman's not even human, let alone white.

I'm Batman

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement